Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - My poor broody silkie with no babies...

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:19 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:43 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do about my silkie hen? I feel terrible for her, it is her first time
sitting on eggs and after all her hard work for the last 4 weeks -one week extra due to me trying to collect fertile eggs for
her - and now her eggs were due a few days ago and nothing has happened. What should I do? Do I try to move her so she isnt broody anymore or leave her to work it out herself? :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:49 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

You could try candelling the eggs. I don't think the 21 days is a hard and fast rule as the eggs are all lain days apart. Good Luck

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:51 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

You could 1. get some fertile eggs, slip them under at night and remove the old ones and let her sit again. 2. Buy a couple of day olds and slip them under her at night. 3. Throw her out of the nest and let her get over it. Personally I would do 1 or 2 as I too think it is sad for a broody not to get some babies after all that hard work. But before doing anything - candle the eggs just in case.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:49 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Quote:
You could 1. get some fertile eggs, slip them under at night and remove the old ones and let her sit again. 2. Buy a couple of day olds and slip them under her at night. 3. Throw her out of the nest and let her get over it. Personally I would do 1 or 2 as I too think it is sad for a broody not to get some babies after all that hard work. But before doing anything - candle the eggs just in case.

I agree with the above but just remeber the consequenses:
1. Is she still in reasonable condition? Check her thoughly it takes alot out of them sitting and she has already been sitting for 4 weeks.
2. Sometimes they will not take to the chicks if they have not hatched under her and remember depending on where you get the day olds from they may be up to 5 days old. Has she take to chicks being put under her before if not you risk she may not take them and you will need to hand rear the chicks in a brooder.
3. Throwing her out of the nest and putting her in a sin bin may work to uncluck her. I'v done this before and left them in the sin bin for 3-5 days then a few weeks later they go broody again. At least she has had time to regenerate you may be lucky next time.

I remember feeling the same as you when I had a hen sit for 8 weeks (tried 2 lots of fertile eggs) but it really deteriated her.

I agree with Pepe try candling the eggs before you decide on your next step.

140 chooks including standards (Australorps, Sussex & SL and BLG Wyandottes), Pekin bantams including Buff, Black, Columbian, Blue, Mottle, Mille, Mealy grey, Furness, Cuckoo, Lavander cuckoo & frizzle. Belgian D'Uccle in Blue & Mille.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:57 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I often have silkies sit on no eggs (when I don't want to hatch) as my silkies are just too hard to broody break. Once they have had enough the just get up and become a chook again! It won't harm her. If you want babies, though, you could try giving her a second set of eggs but take note of what Kaz says.

NellyG