Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Broody Hen - should she be moved?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 6:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:00 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I've tried searching the forum, but haven't been able to find what I'm after...

I am wondering what to do with my hen. I bought 6 young pullets at the local poultry auction, (2 x Plymouth rocks & 4 x light Sussex) they were all the same size. But it seems that one of the Plymouth may not be, she has a few feathers on her feet and is a lot smaller that the rest - ie, looks more similar to a cuckoo pekin.

Anyways, she has gone broody. I have bought some fertile eggs (7) and she is happily sitting on them and has been for the last 2 and a half weeks. What I want to know is what to do with her and the chicks should any hatch? She is currently in with the others and is taking up a nest box. Will they be safe in there, or should I find somewhere else to move them to? and is it safe to move her?

Cheers Rossco

She can be seen in this photo, she's the dark one in the middle.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:11 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Hi Rossco - the information you are looking for is more likely to be in the Incubation & Rearing area than in Breeds and Breedings and your post may be eventually moved there :)

In general it is a good idea to have the hen with young chicks housed separately to the older birds. One point is that the chicks need to be fed chick starter crumbles (the hen can have this as well) and those older birds of yours should be on a grower feed at this age - it is easier to manage this in separate pens. The other main reason is that older birds may injure the young chicks, or at least may scatter them and distract the hen from them.

Good luck and let us know how you get on please. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:21 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

Chicks can also drown easily in water dishes and can get through normal sized chicken wire.

There comes a time in life when you must walk away from all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:56 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks Cackles, my mistake, should have been in the other section.

Looks like I might have to build another pen. Is it safe to move her while she is sitting on the eggs? or will it scare her off?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:28 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

If she is sitting tight move her with the eggs she will except the move better at night but make sure you have a backup plan encase it goes pare shaped on you also have a broody box setup to raise the chicks if she is young she may not be a good mum first time round watch her with the chicks after they hatch you will know if she is good or not a good mum will keep chicks close to her at all times :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:10 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Cheers,

Building a 'tractor' type pen for her! So I can separate her from the rest, she is getting picked on now when she does come out for a feed (at 11.15am - you almost set your clock to her)

Candled her eggs today (day 12), all have signs of growth, even seen movement in a few! Yay!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:21 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I don't move mine while they are sitting because I have had a few go of the brood---I move mine early morning the day after the chicks hatch, before she leaves the nest herself---I put mine in rabbit hutches, cheers pam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:05 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Well that leaves a bit of a delema then.... haven't quite finished the brooder yet, so when I do I'll decide! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:32 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Well its done now!!!

Finished the coop yesterday, let all the chooks have a run in it today, and just moved little Miss Broody!

its 8.C outside, and raining.... put a heat pillow in the nest, moved the eggs and then moved Miss Broody!!

5 minutes later she's walking around her new pen, doh!! picked her up and placed her back on the new nest.

went back half hour later and she's all curled up sleeping on the nest! YAY!
Will have to wait to see if she's still happy tomorrow!

PS. quickly candled all 7 eggs, and they seem to have all progressed! Can't see much, but it is day 18!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:53 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks for everyones input/hints/tips.... seems to have paid off...

thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:58 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Congratulations! :biggrin:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:11 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

Congratulations Rossco, well done. What kind of chicks are they? I just saw your pic in the gallery of your chook houses. Very nice. Good luck with the chickies :) I just moved my broody and her 8 eggs to a new rabbit hutch I got today. She was perfectly fine. She's an old chook though.
Cheers, Wendy

There comes a time in life when you must walk away from all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:22 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks Duck Diva, best thing is the 2 chook houses cost lest than $50 to build! (There are a few new houses going up around the area... amazing how much wood you can get for a couple of beers! :thumbs: )

They are bantam chicks, not 100% sure what sort - got the eggs from a local farmer. Good luck with you broody, hope all goes well!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:02 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

Thanks Rossco, good luck to you too. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:14 am 
Flock Master
Flock Master

those little bookens are just too cute. Please can you post pics as they get feathers and grow up. I would love to see how they turn out and what they are. They are just gorgeous. Congratulations to you. :thumbs: cheers julie