Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Hows this for a good male to female ratio? :D

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:45 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

I have a Pekin hen with 7 babies and I definately have 5 pullets so far. YAY!! :woot: 1 definately a cockerel and the other who was born nearly 2 weeks later, Im still not sure about. :bounce: :bounce: Im pretty happy with that in case you didnt notice :biggrin:
Anybody else had a good hatch like me lately?

There comes a time in life when you must walk away from all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good

Last edited by Duck Diva_73 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:01 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Congrats - good results.

I can't brag about any good hatches at the moment as my incubator has been off for a month. It's had a scrub out and now I'm trying to have a few weeks without chicks before the new season. It's a strange thing to have an empty brooder in the shed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:09 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

Aww, empty brooder syndrome. :lol: It is weird not having bubs around. I wasnt going to have any more chickies apart from these for a little bit longer, but one of my Faverolles has just gone broody on a secret nest of eggs :roll: So it looks like there will be more soon enough. At least the broodies are doing all the work and I dont have them in the house :biggrin:

There comes a time in life when you must walk away from all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:28 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Duck Diva_73 wrote:
I have a Pekin hen with 7 babies and I definately have 5 pullets so far. YAY!! :woot: 1 definately a cockerel and the other who was born nearly 2 weeks later, Im still not sure about. :bounce: :bounce: Im pretty happy with that in case you didnt notice :biggrin:
Anybody else had a good hatch like me lately?

One word and rhymes with hitch.

Mine this season have been.
1 pullet and 1 rooster (JP eggs)
1 pullet and 7 roosters (Koknco eggs)
3 pullets and 6 roosters (Micki eggs)
5 (+1 that died) pullets and 7 roosters (Still a couple of boys in this I'm not 100% sure of though.) (My own crossbred eggs)

Ron (Oh well roast dinners it is then.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:46 am 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

:( Damn! thats no good Ron. Enjoy those roast dinners!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:50 am 
My last hatch was 9 girls, 5 boys. A shame really as I didn't want all those cross bred hens, we wanted chicken dinners. I am keeping 4 pullets, and giving 4 pullets to a friend for layers, and will kill some of the older girls for winter souls and stews. (the extra girl had spraddle legs and had to be put down)

I set 18 eggs 3 weeks ago, and took 6 infertile ones out at 10 days. Took another empty eggs out on Sunday when I set the eggs for hatching. That took care of all the Dorking X Sussex, so I have 9 due to hatch today, all Light Sussex X Buff Sussex. 4 have pipped this morning. I am excited as i haven't had a sex linked hatching yet, and can't wait to sex them just by the colours!

Cheers, Jan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:57 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Chicory wrote:
My last hatch was 9 girls, 5 boys. A shame really as I didn't want all those cross bred hens, we wanted chicken dinners. I am keeping 4 pullets, and giving 4 pullets to a friend for layers, and will kill some of the older girls for winter souls and stews. (the extra girl had spraddle legs and had to be put down)
Cheers, Jan

Why is it that people only cull the boys for roast? What is wrong with girl chook of the same age?
(Note not a sexist related question)

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:29 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Generally you can on sell or give away the girls as backyard layers, if you have pure bred roosters then you may be able to sell those as well, depending on the breed and quality. However cross bred roosters have little or no value from a breeding perspective, I have found that you can't give them away! Harsh but realistic. Nothing at all to say you can't eat the girls.

Ron

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:24 pm 
No problem with eating the girls. I suspect they would be better, as they don't have raging rooster hormones.
I just felt that such nice little pullets should be given a chance in life. They are Light Sussex X Dorking, and should be good layers. The older hens have had a couple of good years, and the younger ones will probably be better layers, with a bit of hybrid vigour.
In future, it is my intention to raise whatever excess i have, for eating.
Except for the brahmas, who I hope will produce a few fairly desirable offspring for future breeding or sale.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:52 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

can you seed me your breeders :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:09 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

my oh so scientific method of sexing eggs :wink: i used DH's wedding ring and asked it which were girls. Out of the 6 surviving chicks that hatched (one egg was left so died in shell, and one baby died, I think her mama accidentally jumped on her), we have definite male and 1 i'm not sure about. this one has a bigger comb than the others, but no wattle yet (born 3 weeks ago, pekin).

so not a very big study group, so i'll have to do it a few more times to see if i can get a large portion of girls :rofl:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:50 pm 
Chicory wrote:
I am keeping 4 pullets, and giving 4 pullets to a friend for layers, and will kill some of the older girls for winter souls and stews.
Cheers, Jan

Did I really write that? Oh well - winter soups are good for the soul I guess.

I have 2 chicks hatched while I was out this afternoon. 3 others pipping and 4 i don't know - can't see properly. It is all i can do to stop myself opening the incubator. I am warming up the room a bit more, and will do an inspection later, and remove the egg shells.

cheers, Jan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:41 am 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

Hey Black, how does the ring tell you which eggs have girls in them? I'll try anything once. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:09 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

lol......

I bought 2 dozen new hamp eggs early january and i put 1 dozen in my incubator and my dad put 1 doaen in his..............i ended up up 11 boys and 1 girs, whilst my dad got 11 girls and one boy???? im still scratching my head :rofl: so lots os raost rooster for us later on

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:40 pm 
Did you swap one of the eggs? LOL You had the boy box and he had the girl box :-)

My Light Sussex X Buff Sussex cross hatched on wed & Thursday. I was expecting to be able to see the difference between the pullets from hatching - girl should be buff, and boys white - right? Well I couldn't tell at hatching, so I thought maybe it isn't obvious until they feather up, so I waited. I can sex them at 3 days from their wing feathers, so I did. The penny dropped. Reason i can't see the difference is there is none. All 6 of them are boys! I guess it is what I wanted, but I can't help feeling a little bit disappointed anyway.