Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Hatching POLVERS please help- One has hatched-PICS

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 11:15 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:20 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hi All,
At the present l have 4 plover eggs in bator which came from a abandon nest (mowed over it and parents didnt come back). Well they are pipping at the moment and I have been in contact with wildlife rescue place and the lady doesnt know what to do. So if there is anybody out there that could give advice on how to rear them it would be very appreciated. would meal worms, chick crumble be alright to feed them or do they need special food.
Any imput would be great. Thankyou
Sally

Last edited by oakey on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:49 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

This might be of help.

http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/education ... les/37.htm

and this for snowy plovers

http://coaloilpoint.ucnrs.org/Docs/Prot ... 5BB21F.doc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:12 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Hey Oakey,

Been thee done that, they are funny little guys too, wait till you see the legs on em!. It would be handy if you have some day old chicks to throw in with them, they teach them how to eat and drink. I raised mine for about two weeks just on chick starter then I changed his diet over and started throwing in some mince or meal worms in with it till I eventually just had him on straight mince and meal worms.I threw the food around the cage floor to teach him how to go look for it rather than putting it in the one spot. You can raise them up till they fledge and then release them at your place, they dont tame down at all and they will pair up with any mates that are around. You will need to give them a bit of a startle to get them to fly off at first, but after that they are fine and will just come and go as they please. The wildlife carer I talked too said its best to release them where they have been raised because they will have bonded with the other plovers (mine use to talk to the wild ones that came and went). Take piccies, I didnt have a camera when I had him and regret that I didnt get a few snaps of him, specially as a youngster, those legs were amazing! :)

Cheers,
Michelle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:53 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

thanks michelle and astro,
I had read somewhere that you had raised them michelle so I was hoping you would be able to help. I have found this website http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/nature_conser ... ile_birds/ and thought they might be under insectivorous birds but it said to feed mince and I thought that might be wrong for plovers but now you say it I might give the lady the diet and what you have said once they hatch. I dont think I'm allowed to keep them as there a protect bird :( . There are 4 eggs and only two are growing nicely, I do have babies at present but there a week old ones, some of which are little pekins so I might put them in with it so they have friends. I have put humidity up to 70%. Heres a photo of the eggs
Thanks again
Sally

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:11 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

The carer I talked too didnt really care that he was a plover and just told me how to raise him. I rang them when I got the eggs to find out what to do with them when they hatched and she just told me to throw the day old chicks in with them. He ended up getting bigger (height wise) alot quicker than the chicks did and would walk all over the top of them. :lol: I handled him from when he was a chick but he never quitened down, was always flighty when I put my hand in the cage, was a hoot to watch grow up though. Even when I went to take him to a carer to try and reabilitate him so he could be released they looked at me funny and said just release him in your backyard! :hmmm:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:18 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hi Ritavaleimbil,
I have talked to the carer again today and they told me that they dont want the babies (too time consuming) so I understand what you where saying now, she actually said I DONT WANT THEM so at present it looks like Im going to be a mum to plover babies aswell as chooks. There are two that are wobbling around with pip marks so I'm hoping they both hatch, hopefully I'll be able to post some pics for you tomorrow.
Sally

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:34 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

:woot: one has hatched and it has freaky long legs, just a bit different to the normal chick. once it dries proply I'll take some pics.
Sally

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:43 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I'd love to see a picture. Every year we get plovers nesting in the middle of the oval. We put barriers all around the nest to try and protect it but someone always breaks the eggs before they hatch. I'd love to see what a chick looks like.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:04 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Good luck with them, we have had plovers successfully hatch bubs down the front near our dam. Lovely to watch the bubs tootling around behind mum and dad, little fluff ball one day then bang they grow so fast.

Pictures please when you have the time. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:48 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Not much help with the feeding thing but I have a pair which nest within 50 metres of my house. My granddaughter & I love watching them. Their call changes after the babies hatch so it warns them to hide. We were coming up from down the back on day & the call was panicing so we watched & saw where the baby hid. When we got there he was hiding beside an old cow pat so we picked him up gave him a quick cuddle & put him back. My pair never worry if I check out their nest, other than making a noise they never dive bomb myself or Hannah. They hatched 3 but only reared 2 that year.
We love having them around

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:35 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

We have named it twiggy after the super model, Long long legs and beautiful big eyes

Sally

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:14 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Well done Sally! :D

Our local news had a report last night with photos of plovers that nest every year on a vacant block right in the middle of the city beside a busy highway. So far people have not interfered with them. :)

Last edited by Cackles on Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:50 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Wow! That's just great. Good name choice too. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:08 pm 
Swan
Swan

i found one in the long grass in the paddock while i was playing golf, the little ones make a bit of sound as well. we get them nesting in our place every year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:19 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

I warned you about the legs! :lol: Well done, they are quick little buggers too! :D