Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - posting eggs

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 4:33 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: posting eggs
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:50 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hello all BYP members.
I have never posted eggs but would like to do so but safely
Many members entries on this site notify postage of eggs all the time with little effect to the contents of the container.
Please, those that do post eggs, do you mind passing on your knowledge of what is the best way to do this for a good result at the addressee's home?
I believe this post would be of assistance to others as well, so I wait in anticipation of your assistance
Thanks
Marg

Post subject: Re: posting eggs
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:02 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

May I simply report on a dozen eggs which I received in perfect condition?
Each egg had been individually wrapped in kitchen paper. The eggs were then placed in a commercial egg-box which had been cut in half so that the pieces sat firmly in a standard aust post box. Padding was then packed into all the spaces.
The eggs came from interstate and had a 3-day journey.
Perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:45 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

In the Gallery I put a series of photos as I unpacked 3 dozen eggs from Kirribindi Farm. They may give you an idea :)

Almost ready to set!

A couple of the "missing" pics (#4, #5) are in this thread and descriptions with pics in my Gallery: viewtopic.php?t=2488&highlight=posting+eggs+pack* :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:24 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

moving this to incubation and rearing, where there is also a topic in the stickies at the top of the section on posting eggs.

caladenia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:33 pm 
i never mark my post boxes fragile or up or anything.....i like to keep my contents on a low profile.

i am finding express post excelent because all my eggs have to go so far to my 'clients'. the cost of a prepaid express post pack is the same from here to the next town or from here to perth.....a few thousand kms away.

from discussions with my poultry loving post office people (they keep chooks that roam around the PO at times) they say the chances of extreme bumps is less in express post than in ordinary post due to the fact ordianry post hangs around in trucks and POs and express post hits the road in hours. this also means less exposure to extremems of temperature and not traveling with very heavy objects.

i am happy for people to post photos of my eggs up...someone has already sent me photos of my eggs on arrival.

because my eggs go in a soft prepaid post pack i am also adding extra strength to this (they are already packed in an egg carton). this package is styrofoam from cut up boxes and also a small box that contains 2 dozen eggs with all the styrofoam and bubble wrap. experiment before you slide it into a post pack so you know it will fit as well as seal.

the eggs by express post are leaving my place (inland from cairns) on monday morning and arriving in victoria on wednesday. this means i can get eggs to destination that will be only 4 days old (if i can collect enough in one day).

k

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:14 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi Everyone......

I would definatley not keep them two weeks thats for sure, eggs through the post usually have a rough ride and fertility is affected before you start. Ideally I would leave them settle for 24hrs and put them under the broody asap. AT most keep them a few days but to suggest 2 weeks is nonsense.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:04 am 
i think 2 weeks is way too old for eggs. i throw mine out here (or eat them) once they are over 1 week old. the only eggs i set that are over 2 weeks old are eggs that have been kept in ideal conditions...ideal = in a hens nest where she is looking after them daily by warming and turning every day or so....and here i can get 100% hatch rate of a hen with 13 eggs...this means the oldest egg can be 20 days old...however this is the perfect conditions.

the younger an egg the greater the chances of it hatching. there is more to hatching eggs than fertility,the age of the egg, the environment it is kept in, the travel, the incubation, the person at the other end and the nutrition and health of the parents of the egg. the time it takes to get the egg from being laid to the time it starts incubation is crucial. all the other factors are accentuated the older the egg gets. the stress on the egg from just the travel will increase the likelyhood of it deterioting beyond its ability to hatch.

again the ability of the chicken to hatch is affected...it may grow perfectly well and even pip but then there is nothing left in energy for the chicken to come out the last bit of the way.

pure bred birds can be more affected than cross breeds as here hybrid vigour in the crossbreds give the embryo extra stimulation. but then a hen pumping out eggs for months and months on just a layer ratio isn't going to help the egg survive and aging of the egg will make it worse. i found some of the birds that lay every second day have a stronger vitality than the hens that lay daily.

k

PS i would not post an egg that was over a week old especially if it were going ordinary mail. the beauty of express post is that it takes days off the age of the egg by the time it is set.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:44 am 
Wise One
Wise One

I'd like to know what people pay (if its not rude to ask) to express post a box. I bought the $2 Aussie post model and they charged me $23.50 to post it to SA. I was told by the postmaster that it costs more to post a box, I commented it only cost $11.50 for the express bag up to 3kg anywhere, the box was only 2kg. Didnt seem right to me. :?

Michelle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:02 pm 
the cost of over seas post is shocking. i often pay more for the post than the item.

the other day i got 5 x 15ml tubes of water colour paint from america, they charged me $45 for post the paint was less than $3 ech. well i needed them and couldn't get them in aus. when it arrived i realized the products sold book i had ticked the box for was the size of a good book...must admit i will spend hours reading it and it will be borrowed off me by many.

with eggs i have found the prepaid express bag 5kg is good. i can pack 2 dozen eggs well in it without worrying over if i have gone over the weight and it IS CHEAPER than ordinary mail. because it is prepaid i don't have to check the weights and am happy to keep the weights well under 5kg.

incidently i find large eggs a hell of a lot heavier than bantams and my large eggs are not large.

k

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:23 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I found a hint in here somewhere a few weeks ago (not sure who posted). If you use a photocopy paper box - cut it down to just a little larger than an egg carton, fold the lid over and tape it up (after putting the prepared eggs in cartons wrapped in bubble wrap inside) then it fits into a 3kg express bag as long as you squash down the corners a touch. I did this last week and all 24 eggs arrived safey - yet to see how many hatch.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:37 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

I fit 3 dozen eggs in a shoe box in a 5kg express bag and it was around $18+.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:14 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but express gets way worse treatment than regular mail.
I used to own a PO and know that it gets thrown from pillar to post to get there quickly. It gets chucked on the top of other mail then chucked again to next stop and so on.Speed is the main concern so speed they get.The articles can be the same size as regular. We used to post express parcels that were 20kg.
Express was where our biggest problem with mail/parcel damage occured.
Regular mail is slower but as it isnt urgent it gets less handling. 2-3days within NSW.
Only certain Post codes get next day delivery.
Aust post also doesnt offer a fragile service.Its the risk we have to take.
I post regularly and cant think of anytime they arrived cracked/damaged.
The trick I believe is to package firmly so the carton of eggs cant move around. This also decreases the risk of the box being punctured by sharp objects.
I find scrunched news paper works well. Scrunch so it is still long (not in a ball).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:24 pm 
i have looked at both sides of the issue: express versas ordinary, and feel express is best if distance is involved. a bit more bashing around (and i feel the bashing is no different) is better if it gets there faster. hence the way i pack my eggs. i think using packing material that can absorb the shocks is better. this means taking up more volume in the post pack and less eggs posted. i feel good packaging that absorbs the shocks (like styrofoam, bubble wrap and foam) is important. i also feel that slow mail sitting around on hot tarmacs, in trucks and generally hanging around is far worse than the shocks on well packed eggs.

k

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:39 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

It doesnt sit around for long. That would cost them too much money. The longest place it will sit is at the delivering office waiting to be collected by the reciever.
I had wine bottles smashed inside express. They were in special plastic wine bottle crates. I mean smashed into shards. This never happened in regular mail (we were in a wine producing area and sent hundreds of bottles).
Its entirely upto you how you post.If what works for you is good than stick with it.
I just sent eggs regular mail and they resulted in 100% hatch. Im happy. :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:59 pm 
I send mine express post because its cheaper than sending a box as ordinary mail.

I recently sent eggs in a $2 box inside an express satchel and it arrived squashed as if a heavy object had been thrown on top of the package.

Each egg was wrapped in bubblewrap, with the bubblewrap placed top and bottom.

I doubt any sort of shock absorbing material etc would have stopped four eggs from being broken. The only thing that would have saved the parcel was a steal box.

Then I've sent others and all arrived well and sound the next day - its a lottery :biggrin:

If there was a good solid solution to our problem of egg sending, we would all send our eggs in that way. Until then - it is trial and error :)

Oh and BTW: Duck eggs, once wrapped in bubblewrap dont fit into 800g cartons. :bounce: