Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Posting Eggs, Sonya Style

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:14 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:36 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I got sick of looking for boxes and sometimes having to cut them up to make one to post eggs. I found a place where I can get good clean styrofoam for free. The styrofoam is great as it is light, it absorbs the impact of being thrown around in the post, it insulates against temperature extremes, you cut it to the exact size and shape that you want, it works better than a box in case something heavy is dropped on the eggs and you are recycling a product. Here is how I now pack my eggs.

[color=#800080][/color]Cows, chooks, ducks, guineafowl, dogs, cats, kids and the quiet country life. Wake up every morning and be grateful that you did.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:28 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

How do you pack the eggs inside the carton?
What you have shown is a good way to protect the carton but if eggs are just sitting in carton they smash against each other.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:06 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I place a double layer of good quality paper towel in the bottom then I place the eggs inside. I then put a cushioning strip of paper towel in between each egg so they can't touch one another. I then put a layer of bubble wrap on top of the eggs inside the carton. The carton is then taped shut and wrapped with bubble wrap. I have had very good results packing the eggs like this. I live in far north QLD and I've sent eggs to Tasmania and WA express post without any being damaged. I just thought that this post would be helpful to others trying to think of the best way to pack eggs to post.

Cheers
Sonya

[color=#800080][/color]Cows, chooks, ducks, guineafowl, dogs, cats, kids and the quiet country life. Wake up every morning and be grateful that you did.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:40 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Thanks Sonya. It's always helpful to hear how others do things, especially with pics to help. I'll link it to the sticky.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:11 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Have you had no troubles having the parcel sealed like that? I assumed you would have to be able to close the flap for them to accept that it fit in that size parcel. Obviously not??

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:52 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

That's what I originally thought too but every one that I post is like this and I've never had a problem. If I put them into a bigger bag I would have to add that to the cost of the eggs and I don't want to do that. I've sent heaps of eggs like this but I make sure that the end is well taped up. Thanks Chicken07. My first sticky!

Cheers
Sonya