Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - How to keep a duckling brooder cleaner- New brooder built.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:55 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hi there.

Just wondering what others do to try to keep a duckling brooder clean.

It seems that within 5 minutes of cleaning - it looked like it did before.

I tried adding an extra box on for the water container- The ducklings would have to walk through a opening in the joined cardboard boxes to be able to drink- but the mess in the smaller box was still bad.

Today i came up with the idea of creating a smaller "window" into a second box, so the ducklings couldn't actually walk around the waterer. Also with it being so low- they also have to sit down to drink - I guess I may be raising a generation of lazy babies by doing this, but it certainly has reduced the mess made with water

Some of my 13 babies trying out the new drinking window.

So far after about three hours there is hardly any mess.
Has anyone else found ways to try and reduce the mess a larger number of ducklings can make?

Last edited by taylorducks on Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:17 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Only one way... don't put ducklings in it. Seriously though it needs to be way bigger than you think ... and you have to find a way to stop them putting water in the litter... I tried many things, none worked. I refused to deprive them of a face bath, they need to wet their eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:57 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

I have mine outside as quick as possible :lol:
But if I was to go in to it from a brooder perspective would build a brooder where it is on wire with a tray underneath so they are standing on the wire only and so the water is falling in to the tray below.
Might build one when I find more time :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:38 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

That is great that you have found something that works for you, not easy when about talking ducklings :claps:
And well done that is a serious commitment keeping them inside for that long, they look about 2.5 weeks old? if so mine would be well outside by now.
I agree with both lots of comments above.
I have tried multiple things to try and reduce the mess, tried sitting the waterer on top of a container with mesh on top and that helps, a bit :hmmm:
Mine go outside as soon as possible, depending on the weather, into rabbit hutches, with no light, and a container of water that they can paddle in, just make sure they can get out easy.
I'm lucky that I have a shed which the cages can be dragged inside at night if necesary or in wet or cold weather, have power in shed so can add a light if needed.
If we have long periods of wet weather where they need to stay in the shed I raise the cage up off the floor so all the droppings, water and spilt food all falls through the wire, still need to change the bedding area pretty much daily but helps a lot in keeping the cage clean.
Cheers
Kylie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:06 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

I found a good Duck brooder idea on below link. Hope it helps.

http://www.faithvalleywaterfowl.com/housing.html

Australian Game Bantams in Blackred and Pile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:47 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Thanks for your comments and also for that link Guru.
I think I am quite capable of knocking one of those up.
:nail:
This might sound stupid- but I hadnt even thought about putting them outside yet. At the moment they are in the middle of my lounge room. They go outside for a while when I get home from work at 3.30pm I have a yard build for them out in the shed. But they are still too young for that, and the nights are still too cold.
These guys will be leaving home soon, but I will definately have a trip to bunnings so I can start building in time for the next lot in the incubator.
I currenty have the water dish on a cake cooling rack with a tray underneath in their seperate box - but having the ducks on wire too will help with the mess ( and smell )
Ill have to post a photo when mine is done. ( wont look as good as the one on the website though, but it will do the job)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:23 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

$60 at Bunnings and I had all I needed to make a start. I already had a nice little wooden box i had been using for the ducklings when they were only just hatched. BUt with wood, and wire, bracets, screw nails, etc- out I went into my shed last night.Too late for using power tools though- So this is what I have wacked together this morning.
url=http://gallery.backyardpoultry.com/showphoto.php?photo=26563]Image[/url]

So far is going ok. It is a little crooked- but Im sure the ducklings wont even notice.

I still need the wire around the sides, and to decide on what to use on top. I havent decided where it will be put yet- so dont know if I will make it a colourbond roof, or just wire.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:12 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Looks great Alicia, very good handy work.

Regards
Trev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:44 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thats genius, would be good for chics too... wish I had seen that before I went to bunnings tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:01 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

I bought some 90cm long off cuts of pine, so there wasnt much cutting to do. I just kind of built it around the wooden box I already had.
I have finished the wire around the sides, but left the top section until tomorrow. ( wanted to spend time with the ducklings themselves )
I put my 4.5kg drake into it to check the base was strong enough.

Didnt take too much time either- about 4 hours so far.
Its a bit rough, as I dont have a lot of tools or the knowledge of building things. But at least this time I am in one piece. Years ago I built a small cage for some ducklings and -to cut a long story short- A piece of wood wacked me in the face, and broke my nose- and I had a nice gash that needed 6 stitches under my eye.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:30 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Well the new brooder is finished, and the ducklings think its ok.

Now my daughter wants something similar for her Guinea Pig.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:12 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Awesome work - looks fantastic! I'm sure that this will make life much easier. The ducklings look happy too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:52 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Well done, it looks great :claps: How are you finding it, does it work well for you?
It must be busy in there with all 13 of them :chicks: :chicks: :chicks:
I think if you used weldmesh or something similar on the floor it would make it much cleaner as you would not need the support pieces of timber, which I have found can gather quite a lot of poop. :yipee: It would add extra expense to the project, but I think would be worthwhile.
Cheers
Kylie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:07 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

Top job! Im jealous :yipee:

There comes a time in life when you must walk away from all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:38 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi, I'm a newbie here and my hubby has just built a brooder box similar to the photos here - but enclosed sides right to the ground - raised wire is only about 150 mm off ground (pics to come). My first hatch are due in a day or so and I need to get temperature up with some more watts in my lights - it will be a frost again tomorrow - very cold here.
Have any of you brooded ducks WITH chickens? With any luck I'll have both hatching and brooding together. Should I expect problems? (they will be on the raised wire so mess won't be so bad). The ducks are Calls so maybe they'll be similar size to the chickens.

cheeps