Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - For Interest: Candling, Days 4-21 (photo heavy, hatch shots)

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:56 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:56 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Just thought some might be interested - I'm going to try to take candling pics every day to see the development. Didn't start until today as I didn't want to disturb the egg - but then I couldn't wait!

Day 4

(more pics on page 2)

Last edited by ninacat on Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:57 pm 
great photo :thumbs:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:54 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Great image.

What breed have you got growing there in the egg???

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:56 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

I admit to being impatient too :) I usually have a look to see about day 4.
Great pic :)

There comes a time in life when you must walk away from all the pointless drama and the people who create it and surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:01 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

It's a brown leghorn X belgian - i used it in my RCOM-3 that just got back from repair (Bellsouth are fantastic!). The purebred d'uccle's are at day 6 under a broody millie, with 4 viable out of 4. Fingers crossed for some pretty porcelaines!

All very exciting!

Nina

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:34 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hey Nina, any more pics? would be great if we could see the progression in stages. I have not seen anybody else do this. Also would be of interest if any do not develop past a certain stage to see the pics (not that I wish that on anybody).

If anyone has a link to similar photos could you please post, we are new to this candling thingy and can use all the help we can get. :roll:

Cheers

Pama

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:10 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Pama,

Yes, I've been taking them every day! I've just uploaded the next few (we're at day 8 today :))

Hope you like them!

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7
Day 8

It is getting harder and harder to get a good photo, though, as the chick grows to fill the shell. Still find it fascinating!

Nina

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:42 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks Nina, they are great. Are the eggs light coloured shells? We have some barnavelder eggs that are really dark and almost impossible to tell, we end up leaving them in for the duration :? Am I right in assuming that the air sac becomes more noticeable and defined as the chick develops?

Cheers
Pama

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:52 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

"yes" and "yes" - I'm using an RCOM-3 with a viewing scope, which is why it comes out so clearly, but the egg shell is also a pure white colour, so the light comes through very well when candling. I have pure belgian eggs in as well, but the scope doesn't do those well at all, because the eggs are too small (fixed size), so I hand-candled them to ensure viability, and have pretty much left them alone.

I'm loving the viewing scope, though, as it's really interested the kids because they can see the embryo develop. I get the feeling that it will be a little futile to take photos soon, though, as the chick gets bigger and fills the shell.

Hope that helps, and I'm glad the photos have an interest to anyone other than myself!

Nina

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:04 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

They are great pics Nina, thanks for posting for the rest of us :thumbs:

My wyandotte eggs are at day 10 today and I've just finished candling, looks like I have 8 out of 12.

Good to know you have a super-viewing-scope thingy as I thought mine weren't nearly as bright as yours :hmmm: they are ok for us to see but I know they wouldn't photograph as well as yours so no point posting my pics.

The air sac has become much more obvious in mine over the past 3 days too.

good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:14 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Ok... would you say that if you didn't have a well defined air sac by 10 days that it would be safe to discard the egg? We are dealing with a young roo (indian at that) so have had the problem of fertility. We are setting all the eggs and have 7 chicks so far but we have had to set a lot of eggs to get them. So need to know at what stage an egg is defiantly not viable (have 57 in the Hexabator at the moment :facepalm: it's getting a little crowded) Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Pama

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:53 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Depending on the egg shell, if you can't see any veins after 10 days, I'd say it's safe. I've always gone by the shadow of the yolk - if it's still just a shadowed blob, no veins, no dark spots, etc, then it's not viable.

This time, as I've set all pale eggs, I was able to discard by the 7th day (at the latest - some I was clearly able to tell by day 4). If in doubt, though, I don't think there's any harm in leaving them in, unless they look to be going bad.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:20 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Ninacat - Can I ask how do you know they are 'going bad' ? What would that look like?

I have left my 4 suspect ones in there although I think theres not much development - there is just a small mass but definitely different from the others. They don't have that ' blood ring' though that i've seen on other pics.
I was going to candle them again tomorrow (day 12) to see if theres any improvement, as I'm still learning what I'm looking for, but what do you mean by going bad? I don't want to risk them exploding :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:12 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I've been told it's fairly obvious if they're "going bad" - they either start to weep, or start to smell. I've never had one go bad yet, though, so I'm not too sure!

I think as long as it looks ok and smells ok, it's safe to leave.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:19 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It's fairly rare for an egg to go bad, but when one does you will definitely know. The smell is very strong.

If an egg has stopped developing, but isn't bad, it's not going to hurt to leave it there for the moment.