Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - urgent!! Chirping inside the egg. Do I break it open?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:55 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:02 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

thanks new feathers, thanks Mrs Black. 48 hours? Think I'll go to bed. He's chirping so much now, I hope I have a wonderful surprise in the morning. My usual brooder is just a cardboard box with a light bulb. The chicks usually know how close to the light bulb they need to be to keep warm. How long once hatched can I remove him from the incubator and place him in the box? The incubator isn't designed for eggs, so I don't consider it ideal in any way for keeping chicks.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:18 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

In a purpose built for hatching chicks incubator its around 24hours. If your "I needed to fix this quick and this is what I had" version is dangerous for them then move them into brooder box on a towel with some scattered chick crumble and a shallow dish or coffee lid of water with clean stones or marbles in it so they can't drown. Try to leave them in the incubator long enough to dry if it is safe to do so but if too risky well they can die at the drop of a hat but they can also surprise us with what they can handle.
Sometimes its a good idea to dip their beaks in the water so they know what and where it is when you first put them in the box. Note that said dip not dunk. You don't want them to aspirate the water just get a taste for it.
Cheers julie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:03 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

A noisy egg is a good sign, just leave him you might have a suprise in the morning.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:11 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

gotcha. there has been subsequent chirpings from inside the other eggs. Sounds like a chorus.Makes my heart flutter. Will post a pic of the end product (if all goes well)!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:20 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Chirping inside the egg is magic, isn't it? The first time I heard it it seemed like such a wonderful, life-affirming thing. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:05 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

sad news, chirpy egg has stopped chirping. I can only hear a faint ticking noise now. Another egg has all but hatched though now. All is not lost, although I feel slack letting the other remain a prisoner in his own shell. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:13 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

There is nothing you could have done if they can not get out then they are too weak or other problems.
They must break the shell before you would intervene and even then the chances of survival are very reduced.You did the right thing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:21 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

oh no colours :upset: i was hoping that wouldnt happen but theres nothing you can do i know how hard it is not to intervene you feel helpless thinking of you melli :(

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:51 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

thanks for all your support guys, I'm sure there are people in the world with greater problems than this, but its so good to have a network of poultry nutters for support. PIA (short for pain in the a...) is doing well under my lamp. She/he was the one who DID sucessfully break free. Walks a little wonky, but we'll love it all the same. I've been staring at that bird drying for over an hour, you wouldn't believe I have to be up at 5am for work! Puts things into perspective tho.

Thanks again,

Colours xxx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:53 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Is pia on newspaper or towel colours?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:58 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Don't toss the eggs that went quiet yet... leave them another 24 hours where they are. Sometimes they go quiet when they are ready to pip. As mentioned they have to run out of air first makes it hard to be noisy when air is getting thin. If it is meant to be it will if not it won't but leave them till tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:46 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi colours,
don't give up on the egg that went quiet - it may still break through! Am pretty new to all this but we had a similar situation and we kept the egg under lights and heard chirping which would go quiet for quite long periods. From first hearing chirping to pipping was close to 36 hours, then it rested for nearly 15 hours before finally zipping the egg and hatching successfully - very exciting as it was new experience for the whole family! We didn't know how far behind the other chicks this egg was (was laid near the broody hen at some stage when we were away for a few days & she gathered it in) so we very carefully candled it a few times, including after we heard chirping go quiet, to determine it's progress- we could see it moving so knew it was still alive. 24 hours after hatching we introduced it to the hen and she has taken it on just fine, although it was a few days behind its siblings!
Hope things go well for you!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:13 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I'm in the same position, day 21 and my eggs are chirping away and there is no cracks. It's very stressful for us on-lookers, all i want to do is get them out of there shell but I know nature must take it's course and only time will tell.
Come on little baby chicks..... :chicks: :chicks:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:07 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I have heard eggs chirp up to 3 days before hatching. They get tired its hard work and quiet down for a while then start up again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:14 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

the hatched chick (PIA) died this arvo. Couldn't walk, just kept flipping over. I think it is true that nature will run its course. I have learnt quite a bit from all this and I am just about to invest in a hovabator!