Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - adding a fan

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:55 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: adding a fan
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:22 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

hi all well finances wont stretch to a new incubator right and now im up for ideas on adding a fan to my hovabator.
Any ideas or do i ahve to buy the fan kit from USA?
Cheers HH

Post subject: Re: adding a fan
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:13 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

You can buy therm from Brookfield Poultry here in Australia. I dont think the fan kit is actually listed on their pages- But I got mine form them last year. You could also just try finding a guy with some electrical knowledge to fit a computer fan.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:22 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hi Happyhenz.. I went throught all this last year. I'll try to find the thread. But basically all you need is a 10 mm computer fan, a couple of wire joiners and a 12V adapter. Total cost between $15-.$20. Anyone can do it.

Don't pay stupid money for a fan kit as they only use a computer type fan anyway.

Edit to add viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8687&hilit=computer+fan

This thread is quite good... gives some idea's on adding the fan!

There's only a very fine eggshell between genius and insanity!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:39 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Huney is right, except the fan needs to be bigger than 10mm. I'm not sure of the exact dimensions, it's likely 60mm or 80mm.
Taylorsducks might be able to measure hers for you, i,e width of each of the square sides.
There is someone selling fan upgrade kits for around $50 but Huney is correct, a 60mm or 80mm 12V DC computer fan and an ordinary plugpack is easy to find. Being 12V you can't anything or anyone.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:54 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Denis wrote:
the fan needs to be bigger than 10mm

:mrgreen: Got me there Denis... Brain is working in cm's fingers typing in mm's. From recollection, the fan I purchased was 10 cm :wink: But Denis is correct, measure your holes. :thumbs: Some variations occur...

I think my fan "kit" cost about $10 total... $8 for the fan from a discount computer shop, $1 for the wire connecters from Super Cheap & $1 for the 12V adapter from the op shop. Obviously will cost a little more to buy a brand new adapter.

There's only a very fine eggshell between genius and insanity!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:02 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

I measured mine and the black box of the fan is 8 cm- the main issue as far as size goes is making sure the holes are in the right place- Making new holes in the bator lid might be a tricky job- so finding a fan that will match the current holes may be the best way to go- they are 7cm apart on mine. I was luck to have an electrician at work to fit mine- but it wasnt difficult.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:25 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Thanks Alicia.

All computer fans come pretty much in standard sizes. If the incubator already has holes drilled for a 80mm then any 80mm fan would fit them.

The 240V fan Hovabator or similar would sell you would be one like this at Jaycar.
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.as ... BCATID=725
It costs about $34 or something and it isn't real powerful as fans go.

I definitely would go for a 12V DC fan and a normal old 12V plugpack. Something that says on the sticker DC 12V ~0.15A or similar. Something that has a rating of ~0.30A or higher probably would be too powerful and lift your lid off. I got one off ebay that is rated at 1.35A, if you tried to use it your bator really would hover, about ceiling height I'd reckon.

80mm is the size the fan that has been used in computers to move air out of the computer case to keep it cool. These days the fans used to cool the CPU are getting more powerful as the chips use a lot more heat. They are 60mm fans and would do the job just as well.

Just go with whatever you can find. If your incubator has no holes then just use long wood screws to fit it. Screw the screws straight into the polystyrene lid. You need to leave a space of about 15-20mm between the fan and lid.

On normal plugpacks the wire with the white stripe connects to the red wire on your fan and the black to the black. Seriously because it is only 12V just strip the ends and join the wires together. Electrical tape would be fine to cover and strengthen the joins.

Remember though that once you have a fan you need to set the temperature to 99.5-100F or 37.6-37.8C. On some Bellsouths the thermostat doesn't let you get this low, if that's the case then pm me and I can show you what to do to modify the thermostat circuit.