Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Super easy way ensure correct moisture loss in eggs.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:16 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

What matters is that the egg loses the correct amount of moisture, around 13% or 14%.

As has been discussed many times, the correct level of humidity is really a furphy. Changing the level of humidity is what we do to try to control how much moisture the egg loses.

The idea that you should need a really good hygrometer or similar and try to acheive an exact humidity level and have successful hatches is wrong. You should not be watching exactly what the humidity is doing, what you should be watching is what the egg is doing. And you watch what the egg is doing by candling it and comparing it to a chart or better still by weighing the eggs at weekly intervals.

Most of us are too lazy or don't feel comfortable enough with the "maths" to weigh the eggs.

So here is a very easy way to weigh your eggs. Talking chickens here with 21 day incubation period.
Before you start incubating grab 23 eggs. Weigh them. Write it down as your starting weight.
Take one average sized egg out and weigh the remaining 22 eggs. Write that weight down as your target weight after one week.

Take another average sized egg out and weigh the remaining 21 eggs. Write that weight down as your target weight after two weeks.

Take another average sized egg out and weigh the remaining 20 eggs. Write that weight down as your end target weight after 3 weeks.

Now you can put the eggs in the incubator and start incubating. Start with the manufacturers recommendation of how much water should be in the containers i.e how many sections of the water tray you should use.

After one week of incubating, take all 23 eggs out and weigh them. They should weigh about the same as the 22 eggs did in your one week target temperature.
If they weigh more they haven't lost enough moisture, so decrease the amount of water in the incubator, even run it dry if you have to.
If they are too light then you will have to add water to slow down this moisture loss.

And so on for the next week .....

23 eggs is a pretty good weight for a normal kitchen scales to handle OK. I have chosen 23 eggs because 13% of 23 eggs equals 3 eggs.

If you want to lose 14%, then you start with 21 eggs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:27 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks Denis. I haven't really watched my humidity at all to be honest - just top the water up every so often, but have had reasonable hatch rates. I will try this with my next lot, (should be going in Monday), and see how it improves things.

Cathy

RIRs, Silkies Buff and White, Bantam Buff Orpingtons, Silver Pencilled Plymouth Rocks, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Wheaten Marans, Rhode Island Reds, Pearl, Lavender and Pied Guinea Fowl and Bantam Saxony ducks on the way...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:01 am 
Deluxe Drake
Deluxe Drake

Thanks Denis, that makes a lot of sense.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:52 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

:lol: :lol: That is very clever and very simple! What a useful idea.

NellyG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:17 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Now that is a fantastic way to check! I would never have thought of doing it that way, I'll try that next hatch :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:52 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Anna wrote:
Now that is a fantastic way to check! I would never have thought of doing it that way, I'll try that next hatch :D

While you are at it, candle them and draw an outline of the airsac. Then if some hatch and some don't you can tell for sure if it is the ones who lost too much moisture (bigger airsac) or the ones who didn't lose enough (smaller airsac) that didn't hatch.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:46 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Denis wrote:
While you are at it, candle them and draw an outline of the airsac. Then if some hatch and some don't you can tell for sure if it is the ones who lost too much moisture (bigger airsac) or the ones who didn't lose enough (smaller airsac) that didn't hatch.

That is a very clever suggestion Denis. :thumbs:

A soft pencil should be suitable to draw the outline.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:45 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Clever Sir! Very clever! :claps:

Was just thinking how daunting it woud be to do them all individually :shock:

As an after-thought, we're starting with a breeding trio so would be pushing it to get/keep 23 eggs fresh for success...
would you have a formula for a dozen?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:09 am 
Great Game
Great Game

any ideas about pore size and what to do for humidity with young hen (1st year) as opposed to older hen (3+yrs) and how the different pore size effects this formula?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:43 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Regardless of egg porosity the formula is the same. You want the same degree of moisture loss by the end of the hatch. The eggs from the older bird will probably be more porous so may end up needing higher humidity than the less porous ones from a younger bird. So the humidity adjustment is the only thing that should differ. If you have eggs from different birds that differ alot in porosity you may need to incubate them separately.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:39 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thats very comforting to know - thank you.

After stressing for the last 21 days about humidity which was reading at the very most 41% and during the last few days 30% I was pannicking that I would have dry or at worst dead chicks. This morning I have been greeted by 14 very healthy fluffy chicks and most of the remaining eggs still pipping. Out of 26 eggs.

Have a great day

cheers B

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:31 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Just reviving this thread with the hatching season upon us again & incubation threads starting up, as I find this method fascinating on paper but never remember to tri al it before I put eggs in the incubator... this year looks like I found it in time !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:44 am 
Ol' Bustard
Ol' Bustard

I just use one control egg. I weigh it and apply the theory of weight loss to all of the eggs.

Linz :)

[i]A lot of Andalusians. Anconas in Standard and Bantam PB Black Leghorns in Standard
and Bantam, Derbyshire Redcaps, Light Sussex Bantams.
[/i]
____ __ _______ _ _ _ ______ _ ________ _ _ _ _____

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:00 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I have just started to watch (measure)humidity and surprised at how low it is in the incubator I have used with success for some years. I can't get the humidity up at all so the results will tell me next week when they hatch. Not watching humidity any more. I will follow you advice. Thanks