Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - incubator off alnight

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: incubator off alnight
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:20 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

help does anyone know how long eggs can survive without heat???Power was off alnight at incubator when I checked this morning temp was on 52 degrees so i got it going again .Now have to wait to see if any thing hatches.I have 128 quail eggs due saturday and another 150 due in 10 days also have 8 dozen asorted chook eggs due at different times .Just hoping I get sonething to hatch out...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:51 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

ill be watching this one very closely because i had a globe blow over night a few night ago, temp was down to 25c in the morning ( thank god for a well insulated design). i assume your temps are F so 52 is 11 degrees c? thats alot lower than mine got.
useless at this stage but for what its worth im leaving mine in for another week to candle and see if they are still alive, ive got nothing to loose.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:17 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Hi

Basically the eggs hold temperature very well - in a chicken egg it would take an hour for the temperature to vary even one degree. I know quail eggs have less thermal mass but a similar equation would apply. Particularly with embryos that have developed enough to respire and therefore begin to produce their own heat.

I suspect you will lose some but overall you should get a reasonable hatch regardless, on the proviso that everything else was right in the first place.

Mike .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:57 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi ,thanks for your replys ,heres an up date.I went and checked this morning and some quail are hatching not sure how many because I dont want to open the incubator until tomorrow will let you know how many then.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:39 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

OK I have had 38 quail hatch.Thats better than I trhought I would get.Some chicken eggs due Monday Im still hopeful of some hatching..... (:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:17 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Well done! :woot:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:17 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Please keep us updated with your results from this lot as it will give people hope, when things go wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:09 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I checked incubator again to find another 12 quail , then checked at about 6 oclock tonight to find 3 more hatched.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:15 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

out of 3 dozen chicken eggs i had 28 hatch out ..they were a day late though..next lot of quail are due on saturday

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:47 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Glad things worked out for you!

You wouldnt believe i had another globe blow on the same bactch of eggs yesterday. even after the first time they all continuted to develop, but like you mentioned, they look a little late.
mine are due saturday, but id expect with two 6-8 hour periods without heat, they may well be a day or 2 late.
candling shows they are all still moving forward.
goodluck with the rest of your hatch.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:15 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

next lot of quail have hatched I got 52 from 150 eggs ..also have 1 dozen chook eggs hatching at the moment only 3 have hatched so far I bought these over the internet from a good seller {sharni}hopeful more will hatch soon.I have 3 dozen chook eggs left to hatch they are due to hatch this Saturday.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:49 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Things arnt looking so good at my house, my eggs are 36 hours late. ive had one chick who pipped 2 days ago and has only just made it out tonight. No signs of anything else and the one that did hatch seems weak and small.

lucky i have a good lot more in my new incubator, new thermostat and 2 heat sources. im hoping this never happens again.