Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Advice please we Have our very first chick hatched (broody)

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:23 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi

I heard peeping in the shell this morning and tonight we have a chick hatched under broody hen!! yay

What do I need to do /look for to protect wellbeing of that chick??

Have cleared out other chooks hubby built a new night box for them today, and just laid out saw dust on floor of coop
put in chick safe water and some chick starter crumbles in a low dish

its an A frame coop with run and enclosed nest box with open door and access to the run

She's sitting on only 1 more egg I hear no peeping as yet in that one - how long do I leave that one under her before I remove it?

Hen seems more protective and def aware of chick under her - worried she might squash it somehow.

Chick seems quite healthy :D

If I only get One chick should I look at buying a few more day old to let her raise?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:23 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Your separate pen, shallow water, and chick crumbles sound ideal. I'd leave the second egg for another couple of days but it's a tricky call because yes, I do personally think it's better to have a few chicks around (it's easier to introduce them into the pen if you keep them) but you'll need to find day-olds to introduce within the next day or two, as hens will most likely reject anything too old or introduced too long after the first chick hatches.

You can candle the egg - put a strong light under it - which will indicate whether it's likely to hatch or not.

I had a broody hatch two chicks on a Wednesday and Thursday. I removed the final unhatched eggs on the following Saturday (they all turned out to be infertile, poo). That's absolutely as long as I'd leave it. I could have introduced day-olds to her quite successfully then, as she was still sitting and actually very cross when I removed them, but no older and not much later.

What breed is your hen? It's unlikely she'd squash a single chick but it's not completely unheard-of, sadly.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:43 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi

My hen is plymouth rock bantam and chick is standard Araucana

I've been checking on them regularly and chick seems bright eye'd and happy hen is still sitting firmly on egg and hasn't left nest
should I be worried about chick drinking?

Its only day 2 today but chick hatched late yesterday afternoon

When should chicks start eating?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:01 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

The chicken is good for two or three days before it NEEDS food or water. The hen will leave the nest and find food and water for her chickens in plenty of time. She will know what to do - all the chicken really needs now is warmth and rest in between its inquisitive looks at the world

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:57 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I candled last egg tonight and there's definitely a chick in there, its a blue egg so quite difficult to see

I can't see heart beat but I think there was movement but no noise, Air sac lights up fairly well and is bigger now than at earlier candling

Ok I need to leave it alone now I know!

Fingers & Toes crossed

soo hope it hatches so the other has company. Really cementing in my chook addiction now

Hubby's still outside finishing it off the new nightbox/coop I made him build to so hen and chicks had there own coop and run and I could add 4 new additions on the weekend :lol: he's good