Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - First timer incubating in Hovabator

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:24 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:21 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Alicia,

I didn't realise that Tuesday & Ranga were incubated in it !! That's so cool ! Plus a great way to convince Mr Winglet that we have to keep it forever. :thumbs:

No ducks !!!! Too wet & messy !!! Cute, I grant you, but not gonna' happen !!! (Famous last words).

Humidity is holding at about 48%, so that'll do me fine, and was the thing I was more worried about than the temp. A couple of temp. checks have seen it a little high, so have adjusted thermostat & am waiting for 3 readings around the mark I'm aiming for (37.5) before setting.... next temp. check prob'ly in another hour or so.

Winglet (and just to make more decisions for me, Jake was found on a nest this arvo.... she's gone broody today !!! Will stick with all eggs into incubator, as not prepared to risk her abandoning eggs this early on.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:15 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Okay.... set them last night. Some are small & some slightly misshapen... have set those regardless, and will be expecting heartache at some point with those from which I'll hopefully learn more about the whole process. Before you ask; No, I won't be interfering with ANY of the hatchlings in a hands-on way; if they don't make it, they don't make it... not withstanding humidity/misting adjustment IF required on advice from those in here. :thumbs:

Temp. levelled out very quickly after the eggs went in & is steady again, which I was very pleased about... the spiking is a bit of a fright if you're not expecting it ! So thank you to all the wonderful BYP people who have EVER mentioned that in here, including those in this thread. I plan to find a small plastic beaker-shaped dooby-whacker to place over the thermostat dial so that there's an extra barrier to interference & adjustments by anyone (not me !).

Humidity is also steady.

I forgot to weigh the eggs before they went it. I know that that's my best chance of getting the humidity at the right level for each batch... is it worth just weighing a small sample starting tonight & graphing it to get an idea of how that's travelling? Or am I best off to avoid opening the 'bator altogether until I candle at Day 7 now that I didn't weigh them before they went in?

I feel very relaxed & calm about them (but still a little bouncy inside with excitement)... even if none hatch... due to the excellent advice & encouragement on here. :thanks:

Winglet (I'm already driving Mr Winglet slightly mad by reporting on when the turner moves & peering in the windows frequently, advising him "Nothing's happening yet")

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:23 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

YAY winglet!!
What sort of eggs did you put in?
I put 18 xbreds in yesterday so we will have eggs hatch the same day :)
Goodluck with the hatch.
Cheers HH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 1:25 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Winglet wrote:
I'm already driving Mr Winglet slightly mad by reporting on when the turner moves & peering in the windows frequently, advising him "Nothing's happening yet")

Hilarious! love it...keep going, drive him INSANE :aaargh:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:07 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Don't fuss that you didn't weigh them. Candle them and compare to a chart at weekly intervals or something.
You could even trace the outlines of the airsacks if you notice some variation which could be handy info record as to why some hatched and some didn't.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:16 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

ritaz1964 wrote:
Winglet wrote:
I'm already driving Mr Winglet slightly mad by reporting on when the turner moves & peering in the windows frequently, advising him "Nothing's happening yet")

That doesn't drive me nearly as mental as the fact that the TV gets a little static fuzz every time the heater or egg turner kicks in. I'm not sure which it is, but I'll learn to live with it.....after all there's only 20 days to go, and after that I'm sure the missus will pack the incubator away for a while :rofl:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:26 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Good luck with your eggs, I have just set 19 leghorn eggs in my home made incubator for its fisrt run, hope we both have plenty of chicks in the next 20/21 days.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:27 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Mr Winglet wrote:
That doesn't drive me nearly as mental as the fact that the TV gets a little static fuzz every time the heater or egg turner kicks in. I'm not sure which it is, but I'll learn to live with it.....after all there's only 20 days to go, and after that I'm sure the missus will pack the incubator away for a while :rofl:

All the more reasons to get Foxtel, then there won't be any fuzzy free to air interference :bolt:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:32 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Mr Winglet wrote:
ritaz1964 wrote:
Winglet wrote:

I presume the thermostat is the old metal wafer type. The TV interference is because the wafers dont snap open or snap shut as the heat on/off changes. It holds its contact with the micro switch causing it to pulse. You can't make the open or shut any faster but you can pull it to pieces and make make sure all the contact areas are very clean - a little bit of very fine emery cloth. Take a photo of the electrical wires and where they go so you make sure its re-assembled in EXACTLY the same way.

Another option. Most houses have more than one power circuit. Usually one power along one side of the house and that other circuit down the other side of the house. You could try shifting to another power point on the other side of the house to where the TV is. Its a different mains circuit and shouldn't be as effected by the hovabator switching noise.

Mike

Ps - its electrical interference not a fuzzy signal. Foxtel would be exactly the same - sorry !!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:33 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Quote:
.....after all there's only 20 days to go, and after that I'm sure the missus will pack the incubator away for a while

Winglet you didnt tell us your hubby was a comedian :lol:
seriously though mr Winglet say goodbye to non fuzzy tv for the next few months :wink: hatching is addictive.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:11 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Denis wrote:
Don't fuss that you didn't weigh them. Candle them and compare to a chart at weekly intervals or something.
You could even trace the outlines of the airsacks if you notice some variation which could be handy info record as to why some hatched and some didn't.

Thank you Denis.

Tracing the airsacs seems like a good learning tool; I'll do that. :thumbs:

chookyinoz wrote:
I presume the thermostat is the old metal wafer type. The TV interference is because the wafers dont snap open or snap shut as the heat on/off changes. It holds its contact with the micro switch causing it to pulse. You can't make the open or shut any faster but you can pull it to pieces and make make sure all the contact areas are very clean - a little bit of very fine emery cloth. Take a photo of the electrical wires and where they go so you make sure its re-assembled in EXACTLY the same way.

Another option. Most houses have more than one power circuit. Usually one power along one side of the house and that other circuit down the other side of the house. You could try shifting to another power point on the other side of the house to where the TV is. Its a different mains circuit and shouldn't be as effected by the hovabator switching noise.

Mike

Ps - its electrical interference not a fuzzy signal. Foxtel would be exactly the same - sorry !!

Thanks Mike,

Unfortunately for Mr Winglet, there's no possibility of putting the TV onto to different circuit.... I can see him heading off to watch the TV in the bedroom often over the next 20 days.

Yes, it is the wafer type. Good to know about cleaning the contacts etc; I've just been chatting to one of our Electrical Engineers (of many years standing) who is more than happy to have a look at it when I bring it to work after this hatch (as a work colleague is borrowing it from me next).

Winglet (off home now to watch the auto-turner & annoy Mr Winglet again)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:17 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Waaaa !! I didn't mean put the TV on another circuit. The hovabator is far easier to move to the other power circuit than a TV and all the antenna connections.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:37 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Lol Mike...

I used to have that problem with the hatcher in my bedroom. I used to watch lots of CSI and the like when I went to bed each night and it was a good way of knowing when tho check the temp between the on and off cycles as I could tell by the TV when the element turned on and off- but now dont have enough plugs for the TV and DVD player... with the hatcher and a lamp plugged in for a brooder. I am usually too tired lately to need to watch TV to be able to fall asleep - and watching the ducklings is sometimes just as good as an episode of CSI.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:23 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

chookyinoz wrote:
Waaaa !! I didn't mean put the TV on another circuit. The hovabator is far easier to move to the other power circuit than a TV and all the antenna connections.

I can't possibly move it... it has eggs in it now !! :rofl:

Seriously though, I can't move the 'bator to any other place in the house without risk of the Cocker Spaniel X Crocodile interfering with it at times. It's very happily installed next to the computer, where I can hear it humming away nicely, and can watch the egg-citement of the egg-turner each time it kicks in.

Plus, Mr Winglet has put his foot down about it being in the bedroom (famous last words). :bolt:

Winglet (came home to all 'bator systems AOK, with temp. & humidity eggs-actly as they were when I looked this morning)

(I'd better not mention to Mr Winglet that a work colleague has told me about how I can set up the webcam on live streaming !!)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:23 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

I doubt there is anything 'wrong' with the switch. Metal contacts on switches and relays etc. don't make clean instantaneous contact when they touch. They approach each other, arc a bit, bounce a bit before settling against each other.

So you end up with spurts of electrical noise in your wiring. You should be able to get a power board with a filter in it to remove the noise. The foxtel guy will know what you're talking about when he comes.

The question is how is it affecting your TV. Is it through the TV's power supply, or in other words is the TV having very very small, very very quick power outages. I doubt that is actually the case, but it could very well be.
It is possible all the wiring in the house is transmitting this noisy signal and your TVs antennae is picking it up. In which case a filter on the TVs power supply might not be the answer but a filter on the incubator may be the fix. TVs expect to be surrounded by 50Hz wiring and would have a filter to counter that.

Speculating a bit here but seems some with same types of incubators notice it on their TV and some don't. If it is coming in through the antennae it is more likely to happen with rabbit ears than an outside antennae.

I'll go a step further (not exactly just fantasy, but maybe pushing it). If say you have put filters on both your TV and incubator and still the problem then what could be happening is the element (which is still subjected to the noise) could be transmitting in which case you would need to encase it in a metal sheild (Aluminium foil from the kitchen).