Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Electric hen brooders

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Electric hen brooders
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:18 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Has anyone had any experiance with electric hen style brooders?
I'm lookiing for a more cost effective way of brooding chicks due to spiralling
power costs and they seem to run on a failry low wattage or would I be better off
contolling my current pandoral brooders with thermostat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:30 am 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

mmmmmmm don't know if i can be much help at all, but firstly what is a pandoral brooder?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:43 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Cal,

I think this is.

See www.bluelacedgold.wordpress.com for details

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:32 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I have one of the electric hen ones (like the picture rwood has posted). It is plenty big enough for the numbers I hatch (I just got a small one) but find that it doesn't keep the temperature up enough when they are tiny during the night out in my shed. So I have made a towelling cover for it with 'curtains' that hang down the sides and it works well now. I think if you had a bigger one and larger numbers of chicks you wouldn't have this problem though. My other problem with it is you can't just glance in and see the chicks if they are underneath. I like to do this regularly just to keep an eye on how they are looking (ie hunched etc). Appart from these personal issues though I find it works well, but I just prefer the ceramic globe on the whole.

NellyG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:41 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Sounds like you have one of these http://www.bellsouth.com.au/brooding/pa ... ooding.asp

and would like to know if something like raf has shown will save you money.

The answer is maybe.

If you are serious about saving money take a look at cold brooders, do some reading about energy efficient homes and just think about how hard it would be to heat your own house without a roof and walls.

Looking at the picture raf has shown. If that thing can keep the temperature directly below it at the right temperature when it is standing in the middle of a shed well and good, but so much of the heat it puts out escapes out the sides and is lost into the roof of your shed.
But what I would be looking at is using it as a heat panel to heat a much larger floor space. A large room with walls and a ceiling to keep the heat in. A few small doors for the chicks to get in and out of course.

Ceiling height the same as what the panel is meant to operate at because the panel is attached to the ceiling. But the area of the ceiling can be 3 times as wide and long as the heating panel. Think the middle square in noughts and crosses.
Plywood ceiling and simple pine board sides should be a cinch.

You can't lose really, it is actually better choose a ceiling that is too large so the outer edges of the room are cooler than the regulated space dirctly under the heating panel.

I reckon a bright lad like raf (rwood) could probably show you how to make your own heating panel and regulate it using a cheap thermostat. You don't survive as many Canberra winters as he has without learning a trick or two about heating.