Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - 2nd Setting in 42-egg Hova-Bator (auto fan & auto turn)

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:14 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:22 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Mr Winglet wrote:
Ummm...... once these ones in the 'bator hatch, assuming we get half again, that'll put us up around 50 birds!!! This madness must stop

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. :wink:

Winglet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:49 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

INCUBATION UPDATE
Friday 10th December 2010 (Day 13)

- Temperature stable.
- Humidity had dropped to around 40%, so I filled the central tray with water again & closed the lid before leaving the house for the day. Will check this afternoon to see what the humidity level has changed to. Humidity plugs still in place.

I was very tempted to candle one or two, just to see how they're going, but resisted. Reminded myself that I'll be candling all of them tomorrow night, so it can wait ! :thumbs:

Winglet

PS. Jake is still broody, and now that I've obtained employment (YAY), we can start looking for a new coop & run setup for the backyard. If we can get it sorted before the chicks are 24 hours old, then I'll have Jake look after some of them if she's still sitting then.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:12 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Sounds like it is going well. I candled some of mine tonight and it didn't look promising. There was only one out of the ten I candled that looked ok. Oh well, hoping I just don't know what I'm looking at... the trays were all dry though so that can't be good, even though temps have been holding steady. so I filled up the outer ring and will close it up, keep turning for the week and see what I end up with. Glad to hear yours seem to be going quite well though - hope you have some good results candling tomorrow.

Barnevelders, Aracanas, Coronation Sussex... and soon ducks... again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:00 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thanks Bami. So far so good ! I'm crossing fingers for candling tomorrow night, too. :thumbs:

Pity about your lot. Hopefully you're candling needs work... which will mean you have more than you think. Do you have anyone nearby that can come over & show you what to look for? I found that incredibly valuable & it gave me heaps more confidence that going by internet photos, sketches & descriptions.

INCUBATION UPDATE
Friday 10th December 2010 (Day 13)

- Temp. stable (as expected).
- Humidity just below 50%... so back to where it 'should' be for me. :thumbs:

It's soooo tempting to candle them tonight, but it's late, and if I leave them until tomorrow night, I might be able to convince Mr Winglet to assist me. That'll make it quicker for me to candle them (less time for the lid to be open) & another chance to get him interested in the developing chicks. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:41 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

INCUBATION UPDATE
Saturday 11th December 2010 (Day 14)

Candling at Day 14 in the Winglet Household

1. Same as Day 7 to set up for candling & do one egg at a time etc.

2a. What I'm looking for at day 14 is that the air sac is still intact, and that there is a lot of 'blackness' in the rest of the egg. That is the growing chick.

2b. With a low/poor light for candling, essentially if I see a lot of blackness where the light doesn't get right through the egg, and an air sac (which the light will shine through easily so you'll actually be able to see an air sac)... then the chick has grown, and is probably alive, and it goes back in the incubator. Sometimes even with a poor light, especially if the 'background' light is non-existent (ie. block out all other sources of light) you can see more, as listed in the description below using a good light.

2c. With a strong/good light for candling, and using the loo roll to narrow the light beam, I can see a lot more ! I can see veins with blood in them on the edges of the darker area, usually at the opposite end to the air sac &/or near the air sac. I can see the shadowy silhouette of the chick. I can see the chick move in the fluid in the darker part of the egg as I rotate the egg gently. If I manage to look at the egg in the light at the right angle (I'm still working out what the optimum way to do this is as far as 'where' I hold the egg against the middle of the loo roll), I can even see the chick moving of it's own volition; sometimes moving it's head, or a foot, or some part of the body that is too shadowy for me to accurately identify; sometimes it's heart beating or eyeball moving behind the closed eyelid. If I see anything move I grin like an idiot, as I'm still in awe of the little growing chick inside. If I see an eyeball move, or recognise a head, I take the egg away from the light quickly, as I worry that the strong light may affect their eyesight. If the chick is moving, then the chick is alive & growing, and it goes back in the incubator.

2d. If the light goes through most of the fluid in the egg, it's very much more obviously different to the other eggs in comparison to the milder differences at day 7. There is no large dark shadow filling most of the egg, but there is still the black 'blob' that was visible at day 7, and it may have grown some since then. There is, however, far more light getting right through the egg. Those eggs are removed from the incubator, as leaving them in can result in gas from the decaying embryos building up & causing the eggs to explode. That will mean disaster for the rest of the hatch, as they will then be contaminated & may all die.

3. Mr Winglet has had a long day today, so he was not available to assist me with candling tonight. So I took a lot longer than usual to candle. It always takes me longer on day 14 anyway, as there's so much more to see. The incubator lid was off for about 30 minutes tonight, causing the temp. reading to go down to about 30 degrees, and the humidity to drop to below 40%. I topped up the water in the middle channel by removing the egg above that channel, pouring a bit of water in the centre of the egg cradle to fall through the non-slip matting & into the water channel below, and wiping the water off the egg cradle before returning the egg there. Lid is now back on, and 30 minutes since I put it back on, the temp. is back to 'normal' & humidity is currently at about 46% & climbing.

RESULTS OF CANDLING; DAY 14
Still in the incubator in comparison to day 7:
14 of 14 Australorp eggs
12 of 14 Rhode Island Red eggs
6 of 6 Light Sussex eggs (first eggs set from unproven rooster... so he's doing well... and I could see chicks moving in all of them !)
32 of 34 eggs in total

Removed from incubator:
2 Rhode Island Red eggs, both showing more development than was visible at day 7, but definitely no longer viable.
- I am considering cracking them open to see what I can see; perhaps photographing them & asking on BYP about them. I'm unsure how I'll manage looking at them, so I might as well try it & see what happens... worst case scenario is that I feel queasy, I guess. :hmmm: Think I'll stick them in the fridge until tomorrow & see how I feel... making sure that they're nowhere that Mr Winglet can mistake them for eggs to eat in the morning !! :shock:

I'm thrilled with the result of my day 14 candling. Both from the numbers perspective (only 'losing' two since day 7), and because it's been so much easier candling this time around than when I did it for my first hatch. Again I'm much more certain about what I'm looking for to start with, and also what I'm seeing as I candle each egg. Importantly, again I have no "maybes" in the eggs, unlike in the first setting I did when I had a number of "unknown" eggs at both day 7 & day 14, due to my lack of experience & my uncertainty about what I 'should' see for a viable egg & for a non-viable egg.

It's still a long way to hatch day, and there's no guarantees... but fingers crossed.

I will leave the incubator alone now until Day 18 (Wednesday 15th December 2010), when I will be removing the auto-turner, filling all water channels, and monitoring the humidity level to ensure it's more or less where I'd like it to be (speaking of which, I'd better go and look at my first hatch thread to see what level I had it at back then !).

Winglet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:57 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

INCUBATION UPDATE
Sunday 12th December 2010 (Day 15)

- Temp. stable.
- Humidity stable & back to around 50%... where I want it. :thumbs:

Mr Winglet noticed the eggs in the different spot in the fridge, and had read my update on here from last night. He was going to crack them open for me, but decided he'd leave it until I arose from my stupor & let me do it. I might yet convince him to help... he can crack them open & I'll take the photos... and he can dispose of them afterwards. :wink:

Winglet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:38 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

:thumbs: Your eggs are doing so well! Here's to a great hatch, less than a week to go now :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:31 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Upon your encouraging words Winglet, I tried candling the eggs tonight with a good small LED torch. Out of 41 I found that 20 (!) were clear, so removed them. Then there were 3 that had begun forming but had died early on. So I am down to 18 in the incubator but feeling a LOT better than I did the other night. A lot of them were kicking or moving a little so I KNOW they are alive!
Was a little upset that none out of the 6 DB plymouth rocks were any good - 5 were clear, 1 looked like it begun forming then died early. These were eggs I had purchased and picked up locally. I should probably let them know that the eggs are mostly unfertile. Also the RIR's, 3 out of 6 were clear. The others I purchased are doing well though.

ALL THE BEST for hatch day - I will be watching the thread anxiously for news, while impatiently waiting for Sunday for my lot!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:38 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Bami,
It's good to candle them so that a) you can remove the clear ones (as you did) & b) you have a better idea of the number that you might end up hatching.

INCUBATION UPDATE
Wednesday 15th December 2010 (Day 17)

- Temp. stable
- Humidity dropping towards 40% so filled centre water channel

Winglet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:24 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Aarggghhh the last couple of days just seem to DRAG!!! I took out my dividers etc tonight, and filled up my trays too. One egg was rocking already, I thought that was unusual. Here's to an exciting next few days!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:53 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

INCUBATION UPDATE
Thursday 16th December 2010 (Day 18)

- Temp. stable
- Humidity back up to approx. 50%

- Removed auto-turner carefully (with eggs in it) & placed aside.
- Removed thermometer/hygrometer & placed aside.
- Lifted non-slip material & filled all water channels to the top through the wire mesh, then lay non-slip material back down, ensuring a 'tidy' fit on top of the wire mesh (into the rounded 'corners' & up the sides).
- Heard chirping ! :shock:
- Placed eggs, two at a time, gently onto non-slip material in incubator, maintaining their relative positions as they were in the auto-turner.

- As they are moved from auto-turner to incubator, I hold them in front of my mouth & "chirp chirp" to them before holding them up to my ears (left hand egg to left ear, right hand egg to right ear) for about two seconds. This way I can hear if they respond to my vocalisations. Easy to do with small numbers... not so much with larger numbers. :wink:
- Received responses from two chicks in the eggs.

- Returned thermometer/hygrometer to same location within incubator as previously.
- Replaced lid, ensuring cord channel in lid lines up with cord channel in base
- Unplugged auto-turner & put it into storage.

- Updated BYP thread re: this setting & by the time you read this I'll have headed off to bed ! :thumbs:

Winglet

PS. Jake still broody. Houdini also broody. Both are sharing a hollow in their coop bedding as a nest. I'm setting up two separate broody cages for them & will put them in those Friday night. That will give me a couple of days to see if they'll sit in their new locations. Then they can raise as many as chicks as I can comfortably fit under each of them about 24 hours after the chicks hatch... if they're still broody of course ! :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:01 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Quote:
Heard chirping !

That's awesome!

What non slip material have you used to line the incubator floor?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:31 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Here's MY incubation update for Thursday 16/12

(Here's what really happened.... Well as I remember it any way)

Watched TV while the Winglet did all her chicky things.

Went outside & locked up the existing chickens.

Went back inside & watched TV.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:58 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:36 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Bami wrote:
What non slip material have you used to line the incubator floor?

CLICK HERE

That's the stuff... you can get it at $2 shops, either as a piece or as a roll. It' usually in the kitchen area, as it's used for keeping tablecloths from sliding on a table. I bought a small roll which has given me more than enough to line the incubator several times. It's washable & reusable, but I want to allow for when it gets ruined & I need to replace it.

INCUBATION UPDATE
Friday 17th December 2010 (Day 21).... SEE NOTE BELOW RE: DAYS

No-one from BYP has informed me that I've been calculating the days all wrong for this batch... for AGES !! :aaargh:
It's taken Mr Winglet to state that I set them on a Saturday to make me realise that I've stuffed up the days.

Day 21 is TONIGHT... and I've come home to one egg pipped (that I can see) & the sound of a chirping chick that can be heard from across the room !!

Of course, this means that the eggs would normally have been removed from the auto-turner on Tuesday, rather than last night. So they've been turned for a few days longer than they normally would in an incubator hatch.

Also, the humidity would normally have been increased on Tuesday, rather than last night. So they've had lower humidity than they'd normally have for the last three days of their setting.

Oh well... too late to do anything about it. **shrug**

Winglet

Last edited by Winglet on Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next