Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Sexing chicks on comb width

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:07 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Do you think that you can sex a chick on the width of its comb?
These are silver spangled hamburgs, just a few days old. They have rose combs, which probably makes a difference. (There's a Wyandotte ring in -- the little dark one)
I am going to follow through my theory on next batch of chicks (these are about1.5 weeks now) that the males have markedly wider combs right from when hatched.
I can't see any difference in the wing feathers of any so maybe the difference in secondary feathering doesn't apply to these.

See the 2 near the front with their faces not quite front on; I reckon these are males -- the comb curves out at the sides. The little one near back fully facing camera I think is a female -- the comb sides are straight.

Anyone else think this is right? I need to get some blue food colouring and put an identifying dot on what I think are one sex or other to test it out.

As they are getting older, their comb differences are becoming more obvious (but I hadn't marked them so can't be sure).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:00 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Sounds like a good theory, I love experiments. But you might be better to get some leg rings because anything you put on them can come off and ruin the whole experiment. I tried painting their toenails but the polish wore off very quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:05 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I have no idea, but my 7 year old said 'awwww, they're so cute. Can you tell which ones are male?' :D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:26 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I don't have that breed, but with mine I find that I can pick out a fair few definite boys by comb development pretty much straight away, but there's a few boys that don't show up clearly at first and you might miss those and get the odd surprise later on.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:12 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Well I will look at my newly hatched hamburghs...only 2 in this lot, it is what the turkey started sitting on before changing her mind to sit on another chooks 2 eggs, they must have looked better. Anyway 3 of the 4 eggs hatched and I got 1 silver 1 golden and 1 plymouth rock. Nice and even

How I normally tell is once the tails start to develop...will go thru my pics....ok...of the two silver spangles don't worry about neck or body shape...look at tails...the chick facing left has longer tail and is a girl....chick facing right has shorter tail and is a boy. I find the chicks that grow tail first is hen...chicks grow comb quicker/first is boy.

This one grew up to be a girl

So far I have been spot on with my method will be interesting to see if ur method works out...I will be watching my new babies very closely and will also do a study to back up ur outcome or find out if it only an individual line happening or not.

Speks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:21 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Speks, yes I would have said that's a girl. The tails are a good idea, I had noticed different lengths but hadn't linked it to gender.

I'll check that too.
thanks