Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Timers for DIY incubator turners

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:50 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Well done, you saved $400, you spend it on a weekend away and not have to worry about your eggs.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:00 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

This is the last step in making an incubator completely hands off. An automatic water filler.

I settled on a small 12V DC pump. Looks very similar to a windscreen one on your car.

This picture shows the pump connected to the main water reservoir, a large tupper ware container. Could easily be a 20 litre plastic drum etc.

All I had to do was drill a hole near the bottom of the "tank" using a 22mm spade bit and shove the pump into it. No silicon or anything was needed, which surprised me a bit. The inlet side of the pump looks like a 16 - 19mm piece of poly would fit over the top of it ... but it came with a soft rubber sleeve over that which gives a good seal when shoved into a 22mm hole in a tupperware container.

This is similar to the switch I used. The water container inside the incubator is a smaller tupper ware container complete with lid. It's an auto humidity set up.

Here you can see the switch in the lid of the container, very simple.

It has been working well for me. Spent the last week away in Sydney on hols and all was well when we got back.

This is the pump/s I bought. Cost is $8.99. Don't know why it shows up as $108.99.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mini-12V-Water-P ... 2eb3981f3e

For the switches just search ebay using "water switch" and sort using "price + postage, lowest first".

Very very easy to set up. Just bear in mind the "tank" has to be below the container in the incubator or else water will flow straight thru the pump. Pump needs to be below the water level of the tank because the pump can't lift water into itself.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:15 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

What a good idea! Filling a multiquip water container is a nuisance.

I don't understand about the switch. How does it work? Does it switch the pump on when it is not in contact with water?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:50 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Cathy;
Switch is a thin rod with a fat doughnut that can slide up and down the rod. The doughnut can float but of course the rod is held still ....

It is, I think, a pretty normal reed switch with the doughnut being the magnet and the reed switch in the top half of the rod.
If you google reed switch and check out images you will probably recognise the pair of white rectangles in one of the images, they are pretty common in home/shop security alarm set ups.

http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=prod&grp=295

If you look at the top of the switch there is a nut that screws off and you slide it out over the wires. That nut will tell you how big you need to drill the hole in whatever bracket etc. you choose to hold switch in place (I've used the lid of the tupperware container). You use whatever drill piece is just a fraction too big to go through the nut. I think it is about 10 mm.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:50 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Thanks for that. It sounds pretty cheap and easy. It might have to be my next project.