Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - fertile eggs at different stages - what to do???

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:04 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:22 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi all

I have been a bit of a bad chooky mum. I have two roosters and they and the girls have been getting up to funny business lately. I wasn't wanting babies so have been taking the eggs out to make sure they didn't start growing.

Anyway I've been not well and flat out at work so hadn't gotten the eggs out for a while. I thought it had only been a week but it seems time has gotten away from me as I finally went in and had to kick off two broody hens. One of them goes broody all the time so hadn't thought much of it as she usually gets off after me stealing her eggs every couple days. I thought seeing as it has been a while I'd better check them before I stuck them in the fridge and yep there are babies in there. Some seem less along than others but stupid me didn't check which eggs came from which box. I tried to split them out by which ones seemed more along? Is there anything else I can do?

Also I only have two boxes so other chooks are no doubt going to lay in there. Should I mark the eggs in there now so I can take out the new ones each day? This may also be why some seem more along than others as new eggs may have been laid after they first started sitting?

What will happen to the eggs that aren't as far along when the others start hatching? Is there anything I can do for them? I do have an incubator I guess I could put them in?

Sorry for all the questions. So stooopid!!! I didn't want any baby chicks right now but serves me right for not paying attention

Bek

Last edited by itsjustme on Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:38 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Oh yeah an all the eggs look different so they could have come from any of my 10 girls and two boys. I have no idea what I am going to end up with!!

3 x supposed to mille fleur Belgian d'Uccle but really one one really looks like to
1 x black Belgian d'Uccle
1 x black Belgian d'Uccle x danver
2 x silkies
1 x silver seabright
1 x Bantam GLW
also have a large wyandotte but non of the eggs are big enough to be hers

The boys are one silke and one I think may be a Belgian d'Uccle as well. He is a bit of a mystery arrived randomly in my yard one day. Had hoped he might be a girl but he grew into a boy. Doesn't crow though so he was allowed to stay. Going to post some pictures of him to in the "whats this" area to see if anyone knows what he is

bek