Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Janoel - 60 egg incubator

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:02 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:10 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Bought Janoel 60 egg incubator from ebay. Arrived from china 9 days ago and I just candled the eggs and it looks like about 14 out of 17 are fertile. Cost $106 dollars including delivery. Because it doesn't come with a thermometer or a hygrometer I bought one of ebay and it arrived today. It was sitting at 37.5 degrees with 45% humdity which I understand is about right. I turned it up a little to get 37.7... Pretty happy if I get a few chicks.

Apparently a New Hampshire Rooster with Isa Brown Hens.... What chicks will I expect?? will they be big or small?? layers or better for meat?
If I was to sell them how would I advertise them??

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:06 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Anyone else use these incubators?? would love to hear what success rates you have and the good and bad things about them...

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:37 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I'm actually just looking at one on ebay now might be the same, is either of these 2?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JANOEL-NEW-D ... 4aaa754cc5

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/56-EGG-INCUB ... 3f084d8ba4

I might go with the first one I just need one for a spare and havnt really got more than $150 to spend.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:18 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I bought this one... got it for $66 + $40 for post http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-TU ... 20b94991cc

Then bought this for temp control ... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Indo ... 629wt_1115

All up $120.... The temp gauge took a while to get here... about 2 weeks but was worth the wait for $13.18 :)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:48 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Hi,

I hope you get a good hatch.

The incubator that you've bought looks more like what most people would call a hexbator or a hexabator. I think they are a no-brand product so they get calls a few things when they are imported.

The incubator that most people probably know as a 'Janoel' would be this one, although I see they are both being sold with the same name:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JANOEL-NEW-A ... 3546wt_935

If you do a search for hexbator or hexbabator on here you will find lots of experiences and information about the incubator you have purchased. A lot of people have had good success with them.

Feather Clubs Association of Qld

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:10 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Day 13 and I smelt a bad egg... so I cracked it (outside:)) and it was not fertile, yoke still intact. I them smel and candle the rest and they smelt fine... the eggs are brown so it's hard to see through them. The all look like they have something dark in them... One doesn't seem to move inside and it seems like it's stuck to the side.

The Temp readings have been fluctuating a bit... from 36-38, when I home I am adjusting constanly.... humidity around 45%

Hopefully get a few... down to 16 eggs now.

Also I'm preparing he brooder box... Is newspaper ok for flooring? and what temperature should I have it?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:47 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Have you been turning them at least twice a day? If not that can be the reason why it looks stuck. Goodluck with your hatch!!

Lockit
xo

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:21 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

yep turning atleast 2 times day....

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:58 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have just had 18 chicks hatch from my Janoel (two hatches a week apart). I just bought another one which arrived today ($135 delivered from fantastic farms here in WA with spare parts warranty, thermometer and candler).

Don't use newspaper it is too slippery and can cause leg problems. Most people use pine shavings, sugar cane mulch, sawdust from untreated wood. I prefer to use chaff (chopped up oaten or wheaten hay used as a stock feed). I line my first week broody boxes with two stips of plastic gutter guard, then add an inch or so of chaff - gives chicks a good surface to walk on, its absorbant, they can safely eat it, it warms nicely under the ceramic heat lamp and it goes straight in the vegie garden or compost when I clean up.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:33 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I just lent my Janoel 60 egger to a friend to use.

Coincidently he set New Hampshire x Isa Browns as well as purebred New Hampshires. Out of 45 eggs 6 were not fertile when candled - he ended up with 35 live chicks and one died hatching - a great result.

I believe the secret to his success was making up a foam box to sit the incubator in - temp was only seen to flucuate between 37.5 and 37.9.

Cheers and good luck.

Too many chickens and too many horses.

Living the good life

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:16 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi nut1975

I assume because you bought a thermometer as well, that the Janoel you purchased is the one with a clear lid that does not have the digital display thermostat. The link is no longer viewable. I have been looking at these on ebay and other sites and it appears there are 2 models. The one with the digital display appears to have a solid colour lid. Although both of these appear to '60' eggs size. Am I correct? And if so how do you manage the temp with the controls supplied with yours? Any other observations would be appreciated.

Kay

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:33 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Yes its the one with the clear lid. I bought one a few weeks ago from Fantastic Farms through their Ebay Store. Australian Seller, comes with candling torch and good thermomenter (sells for $29.95 by itself) and each one is calibrated, plus guarantee and they carry spare parts. $125 plus $11 I think postage. Its no longer listed in my Ebay transactions and my internet connection is too slow, but you will find them if you do a search for incubators. Plus they give you tips and an instructional CD with troubleshooting guide.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:09 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

chickybabe wrote:
Hi nut1975

I assume because you bought a thermometer as well, that the Janoel you purchased is the one with a clear lid that does not have the digital display thermostat. The link is no longer viewable. I have been looking at these on ebay and other sites and it appears there are 2 models. The one with the digital display appears to have a solid colour lid. Although both of these appear to '60' eggs size. Am I correct? And if so how do you manage the temp with the controls supplied with yours? Any other observations would be appreciated.

Kay

Try these links. I wouldn't waste money on the digital display for this type of model. If you want that then pay a bit more and Get the JN8-48.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Indo ... 629wt_1115

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CLEAR-TOP-TU ... 3228wt_935

The advantage of this thermometer is that it has a max/min memory that you can check and reset each day to see what lows and highs it got to. The other advantage is it's bloody cheap and works a great.

Personally I think it's the way to go because the initial cost is low. The manual turning is a bit of pain.... I would also rap it up in towels or insulate it somehow to control the temp... especially if your house gets cold at night like mine. I was very happy with my first result. I have 8 chicks now running around the coop so I reckon it's already paid for it's self.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:40 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi again Nut 1975

Thanks for that. Actually I just snagged one last night so hopefully it will not take too long to arrive. I thought the clear lidded one would be better so I can keep an eye on them hatching instead of having to open the solid lid.

I have also seen those thermometers but did not realise that it kept a record of the high and low temperatures. I was just looking at a cheaper basic one that a few other people have bought however I think now I will order one of these ones. Thanks.

I also had read others mentioning wrapping the incubator a bit to reduce fluctuations. Any other suggestions? You seem quite happy with yours. I might have to pester you when it arrives if I have any queeries or problems. Now I just need the girls to start laying and to make some breeding yards for the ones I want to cross.

Any plans for setting more soon?

Kay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:59 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

chickybabe wrote:
Hi again Nut 1975

Thanks for that. Actually I just snagged one last night so hopefully it will not take too long to arrive. I thought the clear lidded one would be better so I can keep an eye on them hatching instead of having to open the solid lid.

I have also seen those thermometers but did not realise that it kept a record of the high and low temperatures. I was just looking at a cheaper basic one that a few other people have bought however I think now I will order one of these ones. Thanks.

I also had read others mentioning wrapping the incubator a bit to reduce fluctuations. Any other suggestions? You seem quite happy with yours. I might have to pester you when it arrives if I have any queeries or problems. Now I just need the girls to start laying and to make some breeding yards for the ones I want to cross.

Any plans for setting more soon?

Kay

When I go mine I couldn't help myself and put the eggs in without the Thermometer and set it using the nob. Roughly 37.8c. The Thermometer arrived 5-6 days later( takes a long time to get delivered but worth it) and the temp in the incubator was 37.7 at the top of the eggs. The temperature varies alot from the bottom of the egg to the top. I tried to keep the temp at 37.7 at the top of the egg.
Some mornings the temp was around 36c because of the cold nights so I then started wrapping it towels and sheets.

The humidty was pretty easy to control... just add some water every 2 days... about 200mls... depends alot on outside conditions.

I just gently moved my hands over the eggs and rolling them ... I wasn't too concerned to rotate exactly 180degrees... my theory was the Chickens wouldn't ! and it was quicker and easier.... and I did it 3-4 times a day.

the flooring is a bit hard on the newbies when they hatch so I put some plastic mats in when they started hatching. Next time I will do it at day 18.

I'm no expert... lol...

Good luck