Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Brooder lamp adaptors, where to buy?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:05 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I have two brooder lamps that the globes screw into (Standard Edison thread.). I have tried to unscrew the housing to see if I can change it over to a bayonet style, but it is all one solid piece.

I have seen adaptors in reptile shops to change from bayonet to screw, but not the other way. When I asked the "guy" he looked it up on their stock sheet and said they aren't available. Why do I want to do this? I have managed to come across quite a few old incandescent globes from a guy who was involved in the energy efficient globe swap program thing that the Federal govt ran last year, but most are bayonet fitting.

I have done a google search and come across a "plastic" version of an adaptor but it only has a 60W rating, and is not advised to use with incandescent globes due to the heat generated (D'oh that's the whole idea.).

Any thoughts??

Yes I know I could just buy some new brooders lamps, with bayonet fitting and get the Edison adaptor, but this would be the last option as trying to minimise my chook costs as the missus will kill me, if she finds out.

Ron

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:29 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hello,
I would try Bunnings, or calling an electrical wholesaler, such as John Turk Electrical (I am in Sydney). They should be able to tell you on the phone whether the adapter is available, and if so how much.
Good Luck! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:26 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Sorry mate i have racked my brain and i cant think of any way of doing it. I've never seen an adaptor from ES to bayonette and if you cant change your lamp's fitting over, then you might not be able to use all of those globes for that purpose :(
Why not just keep them to use in your house instead- either way you aren't wasting them and you are saving $$$ on globes :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:33 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thanks guys might see if I can source a brooder lamp that takes the bayonet globes.

I borrowed a little old home made one a few seasons back, I gave it back to my uncle and have asked him about it recently but he has thrown it out, as he couldn't get the globes any more. Bugger!!

Ron

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:31 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Ron,

it might be easier to stick with the ES globes, & simply sell the old incandescent globes on here - there's bound to be a buyer.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:08 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Or you could buy a cheap desk lamp with bayonet fitting & use that as your brooder lamp. You can pick them up for $10 or $20.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:58 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Those brooder lamps don't do much for me at that price. They basically just reflect light/heat downwards like a desk lamp does.
With all those globes you might like to try something different. Attach an ordinary light batten to the ceiling of a small purpose built room. The "room" could be 1/2 a 44 gallon drum turned upside down, a large wooden box or even a big plastic round tub.

If you are using a plastic tub (or even the 44 gal drum) it is a good idea to attach a couple of pieces of board above and below your ceiling and attach your light fitting to this.