Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Help needed please

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help needed please
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:56 am 

I am a total newbie to this. I have been tryig to find Barnevelder chicks for months with no success. I am now resigned to having to buy eggs and incubate them. Can anyone tell me if there is a small, relatively inexpensive way to incubate them on a very small scale. I am probably looking at 20 eggs (I only need 6 hens, but guess I need more for the sake of odds of males, losses etc.)

Any advice would be gratefully received. Including names of breeders with pullets..if you know of any.

Many thanks,

Sharon

Post subject: Re: Help needed please
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:30 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Whereabouts are you? Some people offer an incubation service. You could try putting a "Wanted - Incubation service in Location X" ad in the Wanted and Sales area.

I hope that you end up with some lovely Barnies :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:49 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

If in Melbourne/Geelong/Ballarat area and you can get the eggs. I can incubate them for you, and if you could get a few extra eggs so that I could keep say 6 chicks then no incubation cost involved for you,

Ron

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:18 am 

Thanks so much, that is a great idea. I will do that right now.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Sharon

70%cocoa wrote:
Whereabouts are you? Some people offer an incubation service. You could try putting a "Wanted - Incubation service in Location X" ad in the Wanted and Sales area.

I hope that you end up with some lovely Barnies :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:20 am 

Thanks Ron,

I am a long way from you - in Queensland, otherwise I would do that for sure.

Thank you once again,

Sharon

rotten_66 wrote:
If in Melbourne/Geelong/Ballarat area and you can get the eggs. I can incubate them for you, and if you could get a few extra eggs so that I could keep say 6 chicks then no incubation cost involved for you,

Ron

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:51 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I'm not interesting in providing a paid service, but I have done this for people for nothing before. It can go poorly when people don't know what is a reasonable outcome. For instance, one person pleaded with me to put a few eggs in for them and I agreed. Their much-loved rooster had died and they wanted to hatch the eggs laid in the couple of weeks after he died in the hope that they could get some of his offspring. They gave me the eggs (which hadn't been turned or stored properly) and I put them in and kept my fingers crossed for them. I had no idea how well the hens had been fed, or how clean and fresh the eggs were. The people were strangers to me, but I hoped to help them out. 50% of the eggs hatched. Of the remainder a few appeared to be infertile and a couple didn't hatch for some reason. That's not surprising really. I was pleased they got a few and actually drove them to a meeting spot as they couldn't get to my place. Then .... after all that .... they complained about the hatch! They were shocked that it had been so poor! Apparently it had been a terrible experience for them. :shock: That's the last time I've offered to help someone out in that way. Driving across Brisbane to deliver chicks that I've hatched for nothing to people who then complained about it was not my idea of a rewarding experience.

I would advise you to find out about the odds of getting posted fertile eggs to hatch before you invest the time and money into sourcing them and paying for a hatching service. It may work out how you hope .... and it may not. At least if you understand that eggs can be damaged or not viable, you may be able to understand if things go wrong. Good luck in your attempt.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:25 pm 

Thanks for your reply,

I am so sorry you were unlucky enough to find people so ungrateful for the effort you went to. It is hard to have it thrown back in your face when things don't go well.

I am well aware that it is possible to have results that do not match your expectation and that is very dissappointing. Still, I see it as no reason to be unpleasant with those that are trying to help with no expectation of benefit to themselves.

I do understand the risks, but currently am unable to get the breed I want in day-olds, so have to take the risks and hopefully I will get enough chicks live to give me a base to start with.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

I wish you well with your chickens.

Very best wishes,

Sharon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:31 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Sharon, I have purchased 3 sets of barnevelder eggs by post and all three batches had good fertility and had a number of them hatch. These had good dark egg colour. They were not show quality and in fact had a few issues such as a few with leg feathering and some type and lacing problems. However, they were sold as 'utility' barnevelders and so I had no problem with that. The person who sold them to me is a member on here and I believe still sells fertile eggs. If you want the username, just pm me.