Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Re JN8-48 Incubator Help Needed Please

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:29 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I also like Jo received my incubator the famous JN8-48 Ok I figured out where the water goes, its on and the eggs are in. My model is the one that is supposed to Auto Turn the eggs.

Does any one know where I can get a detailed manual on this incubator as the small double sided sheet is very vauge.

Yes it is incubating at 37.9C and when the temperature increases to the maximum of 38.2C the fan cuts in and the temperature drops to 37.9C the humidity is steady at 56%

What I want to know mostly is what the dail on the left hand side means "Countdown (Per 2 Hours)
The other dial underneath that one says: DAY and is currently displays two 00 zeros. Is this display meant to display the number of days the eggs have been incubating...I asume that is what it means?

Thank you all, I am totally confused with this unit as the instructions are vary vauge. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:43 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

The countdown would be to let you know how long until the eggs turn.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:11 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

The two 0's are your day counter. You might need to hit reset to start it working.
The timer is to let you know when the eggs are due to tilt.
Some would suggest that your humidity might need to be a bit higher, others would say it's fine. See how your hatch goes.
It should only be the heating element cutting in and out. The fan should run constantly.
All the information you need is on that little sheet. These things are so simple to operate that once you set your parameters for heat and humidity alarms and add water it's all plain sailing.
I have my humidity alarm set to go when the humidity gets down to 55%. Topping it up then usually pushes it up to 65%+...probably a little too high.
If your egg turner is working it should run every 2 hours.
The cable tie that is factory installed on the turner motor has caught a lot of people out and stuffed a lot of motors. The instructions don't mention that it has to be removed.
I hope this helps.
Cheers.
Rob.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:52 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

chooksandeggs wrote:
The two 0's are your day counter. You might need to hit reset to start it working.
The timer is to let you know when the eggs are due to tilt.

Thanks for the reply Rob, Unfortunatly my Auto turner does not work, there is quite a dispute about this running on Ebay and PayPal about this at the moment as I write the motor is faulty and I am told there is a new motor comming. Yeah right so is Christmas. Then I have to figure out how to fit the darn thing if and when it arrives.

Some would suggest that your humidity might need to be a bit higher, others would say it's fine. See how your hatch goes.
It should only be the heating element cutting in and out. The fan should run constantly.

REPLY: This is where the problem lays Rob, The instruction sheet that came with the incubator is as clear as MUD!!! I cannot for the life of me figure out how to change the settings. At the moment I am running it, Day 14 today at the factory settings and having candled the eggs fount that 75% of them are positive. I have been turning them by hand every eight hours as one breeder suggested.

All the information you need is on that little sheet. These things are so simple to operate that once you set your parameters for heat and humidity alarms and add water it's all plain sailing.
I have my humidity alarm set to go when the humidity gets down to 55%. Topping it up then usually pushes it up to 65%+...probably a little too high.
If your egg turner is working it should run every 2 hours.

That is the problem Rob, I cannot fully understand how to change the Humidity setting and the other settings say for ducks and geese.
The cable tie that is factory installed on the turner motor has caught a lot of people out and stuffed a lot of motors. The instructions don't mention that it has to be removed.
I hope this helps.
Yes I have noticed the cable tie and that was removed when I first unpacked it
Cheers.
Rob.

Thank you for your Reply

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:02 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi all, I am interested in this topic and this incubator.
It is always good to hear what troubles people have and what solutions they come up with.
A couple of questions I have for this type of incubator.
Do eggs need to be turned every two hours or is it possible to adjust settings so it does not turn the eggs so often?
Do you leave the eggs in the turner for hatching?
Thanks for all imformation.
Ovad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:40 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Ovad,
My tale of woe with this incubator is posted on my blogsite http://thegreenhuon.blogspot.com/ too long to post here sufice it to say I will have nothing further to do with goods from China on Ebay.

<snip>
Ovad wrote:

A couple of questions I have for this type of incubator.
Do eggs need to be turned every two hours or is it possible to adjust settings so it does not turn the eggs so often?

REPLY: Very good question, I have downloaded a sixteen page document on incubating and raising chickens which tells me that it is necessary to turn eggs evey eight hours. Another breeder told me that he turned his eggs every 12 hours so it seems a matter of opinion. I am into day 16 now with this incubator, and I have been turning my eggs every eight hours by hand. The eggs were candled on day 11 and only three out of 24 were rejected from memory.

<snip>
Do you leave the eggs in the turner for hatching?
REPLY:
From what I understand yes, and it is not a turner but only a tilter,that is why I think the automatic turning model :cry: :cry: :cry: WHEN IT WORKS :cry: :cry: :cry: If you have ever watched a chicken hatching eggs you will note that she turns her eggs at random, more to do with her comfort I think. I once set up a webcam camera and let it run for a couple of days to see what the chook did.

Unfortunatly I sumise you have a similar problem as I do understanding the user guide that came with this incubator, To quote a famous favourite Australian Poet Banjo Patterson: ......... in a writing unexpected, (And I think the same was written in a thumbnail dipped in tar) The blasted thing was translated from Chinese and the translator had a very poor command of the English language. English is not my native language also, and I have a great deal of trouble with English spelling as my native language is written phoneticaly, (spell it as you say it.) This user guide that came with the incubator is hopeless.

What I am interested to know, [color=#BF0000]if and when
my chickens hatch can I leave them in the tray of the incubator for a few days or do I transfer them to a brooder immediatley?

We have built a brooder with a heating lamp in anticipation.

Rob wrote on this list earlier he seems to know a lot about this incubator, perhaps he might be persuaded, if asked nicely, to publish, in simplified English, instructions for this incubator that everybody can understand. I am still trying to comprehend how to change the settings for ducks and geese, this is the worst user guide I have ever seen.
[/color]

Regards to All

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:46 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks for the imformation Jim, I have not bought one yet, but I was looking at the incubator on
"crazy deals on line" which is based in Melbourne.
I am a shift worker and thought a incubator that turns eggs would make life alot easier at home
when I am not their to turn them.
We bought a real cheapy last year and it was a pain in neck constantly checking water and turning
the eggs twice a day and rapping a blanket around it to stop warmth escaping.
I like the idea of only checking things once every day or so.
Again thanks for all imformation
Ovad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:06 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

We are up to day 6 with our new JN8-48. We have had no trouble with it at all, but Im waiting for the wheels to fall off after the trouble others have had.
No the auto turn can not be adjusted to turn less frequently than 2 hourly that i am aware of. Only a small movement occurs 2 hourly, not a full 180deg turn.
On day 18 you remove the auto turner from the incubator, top up both water chanels, place eggs back into the incubator laying on their side on the plastic mesh base, shut the lid and wait untill day 22 before opening.... and you should have babies!
The auto turner would be horrible to clean if left in the incubator for hatching, chicks would get tangled up in it, and it would just be horrible!
When your JN8-48 is working as it should and turning like a champ, it is possibly worth having a 2nd incubator that is just for hatching. My first incubator was a Janoel hexabator type (60 egg manual turn) and it is a great incubator :thumbs: It is very easy to clean and was about $110 off ebay with free postage (Aussie seller). I am planning to use my JN8-48 only up until day 18 and then transfer all eggs to the Janoel hexabator for the hatching process. This way I keep my JN8-48 nice and clean, and I can have the hatching incubator running perfectly temp and humidity wise when I transfer the eggs accross.
Triwuffus, I wonder if after your first hatch, if there may be an electrical person in your area who would be willing to attempt to fix your auto turner? We are very rural, but there is a little electrical repair shop a couple of towns away from us and if I ever had auto turner issues I know they would get it fixed up at a reasonable price... maybe you could find something similar in your area? I know you shouldnt have to as it should have been working from the start! But maybe it is worth looking into.
I recently bought a Brinsea Mini Eco for one of my kids, they are a good quality incubator! But we had some issues getting the temp right and in the end hubby decided to pull the thing apart :nail: I was horrified and felt that it was stuffed for sure and we hadnt even used it. It turned out that there was a cracked solder (sp?) and hubby fixed it no probs and now the incubator works the best of all the incubators, lol. So that is why I wonder if the broken auto turner could be a real simple fix it job for the right person who can recognise the issue?

Just for fun I thought I would let you know that my hubby made an incubator from an old Esky. Our first esky hatch are due on the 3rd September and I cant wait. The Esky holds 48 eggs, here is the link he used to get the basic idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beUGfdq8ey8

Light Sussex, Coronation Sussex, Barnevelders, Plymouth Rocks, Pekin Bantams

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:22 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks for the reply Farmerdj77, great to hear a sucess story.
Is it hard to pull the auto turner out?

Ovad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:07 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

No it is easy as! the auto turner is just sitting in there. The auto turner has a wire that simply unclips from the lid section and then you can simply lift it out. If you wanted to incubate a lot more eggs, you could remove the auto turner and place all the eggs on the plastic mesh and manually turn the eggs morning and night. At a guess you could fit 60-70 eggs in the incubator without the auto turner.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:51 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

the more frequently you turn the eggs the better. my incubator turns the eggs every hour, and i get good hatch rates.

therefore, the fact that your incubator is set to tilt the eggs to a different angle every two hours (i think that is what you are saying) is a good thing and should be adequate. it soundds like you are making extra work for yourself.

sorry i cannot help you with the other things such as adjusting humidity as i am not familiar with your model.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:59 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

T :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: hanks to all that have contributed to my questions re this JN8-48 Contraption. Expecially the people that told me to take the eggs out of the incubator turning cradle on day 18 and lay them on the plastic grill.

<snip>

"'Triwuffus, I wonder if after your first hatch, if there may be an electrical person in your area who would be willing to attempt to fix your auto turner? We are very rural, but there is a little electrical repair shop a couple of towns away from us and if I ever had auto turner issues I know they would get it fixed up at a reasonable price... "

REPLY: That, Farmerdj77 is what the whole issue is about with EBAY, the Seller and PAYPAL The full story is outlined on by blogsite : http://thegreenhuon.blogspot.com/ All I ever wanted was for the seller to send me a new motor under warranty, and pay for the techician from whom I have had a quote of $60 to fit and test the same. The *&*^%$# :x :x :x China Man :x :x :x that I bought this unit from agreed to send be the motor but refuses to compensate me the $60 labor bill for the technician. A waranty job in this country covers parts and labor as far as I understand it or a compleate replacment. Read the story on my blogsite. Too lengthy to post here as I said before. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

I am very sceptical if our first hatch will be a success, but I have everything crossed as well as my eyes from arguing with EBAY, PAY PAL and Consumer Affairs who don't give a continental as this purchase was made overseas. I certainly told the Chineese Trade Legation what I thought about trading with China in no to uncertain terms.
However, thay might have the same trouble with translating my English into whatever brand of Chineese they speak judging by the translation standards of the user guide of the JN8-48. :?

JIM :bounce: :x :bounce: @ :x :x :x China Man :x :x :x

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:55 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I too bought a JN8-48 incubator from China.
When it arrived the little green plastic turner arm was broken, there were a few bits broken from the top grid covering the fan, the fan was missing nut and bolt and was kicked over to the side and hitting on the support bracket and the humidity sensor is flashing up different numbers.

My OH fashioned up a new arm to make the auto turner work, the missing bolt was replaced and the fan straightened in its bracket, the small bits of broken top grid are not important and it is still safe to use and I have a good hygrometer to check the humidity.

The temperature however is excellent, very stable.

You get what you pay for, stop whinging about it!

Three kids and a long suffering Hubby

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:42 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Unusually wrote:
I too bought a JN8-48 incubator from China.
When it arrived the little green plastic turner arm was broken, there were a few bits broken from the top grid covering the fan, the fan was missing nut and bolt and was kicked over to the side and hitting on the support bracket and the humidity sensor is flashing up different numbers.

My OH fashioned up a new arm to make the auto turner work, the missing bolt was replaced and the fan straightened in its bracket, the small bits of broken top grid are not important and it is still safe to use and I have a good hygrometer to check the humidity.

Just goes to show you that quality control or warranties do not exist in that misbeggoten country. You are lucky that your repairs were simple, I am willing to bet your OH could not make a new motor.

The temperature however is excellent, very stable.

Agreed, and as a manual incubator it is good, I could have added an extra $60 AUD and bought a local one in S.A. had I known how much trouble there would be with CHINA.

You get what you pay for, stop whinging about it!

Rubbish, You buy goods made in China in Australia from retail outlets and they honour their Warranties, parts and labor, this A...hole will not.
I have also bought goods made in China on Ebay from Australian Merchants and never had a worry, my DVD player had a problem, the seller sent another one after speaking to the local repair man and said to throw the other one out. That is what I call customer satisfaction not the Bull.....that Ebay, PayPal and the China Man is going on about.

The Ebay China Man advertised this unit as available in Australia, and when I emailed him for my courier to pick it up, cheaper that Aus Post, he says terribleee soreeee item out of stock will send from China Express EMS post......I say rubbish, he never had it in the country in the first place. Now it eventuates that he is located in China as well and has been reported for false advertising. Although Ebay do not give a hoot.

You get what you pay for, indeed, total rubbish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:11 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Mine was also advertised as being an Australian seller, but it was very obvious it was posted from China. Im not keen on the faulse location being given.