Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - JANOEL–JN8-48 (2011) 48 EGG INCUBATOR WITH AUTOMATIC TURNER

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:46 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I put 55 eggs in mine, but I think having them delivered from far away, during the heat and probably the Christmas postage peak, damaged quite a few before they even went in. Some were too dark to candle, but of those I could, the majority were either clear or had blood rings. Only 3 ended up hatching, though there were a couple of others that got to at least day 17 or 18 before they died.

I was measuring the inside temperature, and there was a fairly consistent 1 degree difference between the middle and corner of the unit. Humidity was all over the place, so I ended up ignoring it. After initially getting the temperature steady, it usually didn't move more than half a degree above or below 37.5 (in the middle).

Perhaps of interest is that all of the eggs that did develop and hatch were the ones around the edges.

I put some more in a bit over a week ago, to replace the clear ones (I got them for broodies and these were the extras that didn't fit under them). I'm turning them by hand to see if it makes much of a difference. After this, I'll set it aside either until the weather cools down, or until winter is over - depends how many chicks I have running around in a month's time and how difficult it is for me to rehome them :) My plan is, next time, to turn them all manually. I wasn't too fussed on them sitting on-end, and didn't think the semi-automatic turner tilted them enough.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:10 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Just got one of these updated jn8 model incubator, keen to try it out, but definitely don't want to stuff up so have read up on this model through this forum website and another site were the member modified his jn8 slightly and did not rely on the automatic turn feature but instead turned eggs manually 3 times a day, and they got hatch rates over 85%.

So, if I was to turn eggs manually, do I still put eggs in pointy end down or do I use the draw two different symbols on the side of eggs and place eggs in on its side, ie like they would be found if being sat on by a hen?

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:35 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

If standing the eggs on end, it's always the pointy end down. However, I would just take the turning tray out and put the other one in (you're supposed to swap them around on about day 18 in preparation for hatching even if you're using the turning tray). On that, they lie on their sides, not end up/down.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:49 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks Sharon.

Unit has been unpacked, and switched on, temp on display says 38 degrees, humidity is around 55, will run it for a day or so, but waiting on a separate thermometer and hygrometer to arrive so temperature can be calibrated.

At this stage we won't place our first batch of eggs until next weekend as we won't be able to get any eggs until then.

If we were to manually turn the eggs, how often does it take place? I've seen in some text it's twice a day, ie 8am and then again at 8pm but also read someone doing it 4 times a day.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:31 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Instructions with the incubator said twice a day, but I've usually read that when turning by hand, you do it 3 times a day. I've seen it said that you should turn them an odd number of times (3 or 5 would be enough) but I don't recall the reasoning behind that.

When I used the semi-automatic turner or did mine by hand, I did it at 7am and 7pm, so they would have equal times on each side.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:06 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

hi im new to this and keeping chickens iv had my alotment around 4 months iv got 9 Vorwerk hens with a cock bird great birds and six Lavender pekins also just got me self a
JANOEL–JN8-48 incubator been set up for 2 days i also been having humidity control problems it was in the 70's .but all i did was take some water out of the trays and pulled the little mesh circle out of the airhole on top incubator is currently reading
35.7 degrees humidity is at 55 think it will be fine at that if i want more humidity ill just put more water in on the last few days im getting my eggs today so ill up date latter on hope this helps somebody out there. thanks planni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:10 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Quote:
incubator is currently reading
35.7 degrees

Hello Planni
Did you type in 35.7 by mistake?
If you meant it to read 37.5, all well and good.
But 35.7 is too low a heat stimulus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:01 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

well spoted . mistake it was thanks its running at 37.7 iv now got the humidity at 40-42 its been a real pain trying to control the humidity as im putting cardbord under the lid corners to keep it down 7th day today all the eggs look eggs look fertile so we'll see :>) i don't full the water trays as its going to high if i do any advice would be mutch appreciated. thanks daz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:05 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Hi Planni,
Any chance of a pic of the vorwerks when they hatch?
I would love to see the colour of the chick down.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:06 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

redjohanna wrote:
Hi Planni,
Any chance of a pic of the vorwerks when they hatch?
I would love to see the colour of the chick down.

Hi Wise Gobbler ows it going sure ill post some pictures :peece iv got a broody vorwerk sitting on her own eggs on allotment .the incubator as 12 brahma eggs in it so im sure the hen will have a better hatch then the icubator hope not as the brahma eggs cost me £30 :aaah! lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:29 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I bought this incubator this summer and I have to say that it is fantastic!! Instructions take a little time to understand (an hour for me). But once you get the hang of it, its a snap. I put in 2 digital therm. to calarate it and once i did that it worked FANTASTIC! All of my eggs hatched on time. I love it...

BUT ONE PROBLEM... NOW...

I need HELP. My heater dropped from the inside of the lid (screws holding it were too short) and it melted my fan. Ok so now I need an entire NEW LID with all the guts. Does anyone here know who, or where I can purchase a Complete new lid??

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:19 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi everyone my first incubator is jn8-48 and I m confused with humidity. I full fill both water trays and humidity went to 75 it's good or bad some time it's 80 .And one thing more in room where is incubator it's cool so what temperature should I set in incubator .I have set 37.6 temperature in incubator.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:22 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Hi,

According to a user on here who experimented with the Janoel, here are some instructions. The table gives recommended settings. Temp 38, humidity 55-70. Different incubator models tend to have very slightly different settings so I would go with that for your first hatch and modify according to your results. If your humidity was too high when first filling, I would wait a few hours and see if it drops a bit. Sometimes it does. If it stays that high you may want to consider using only one water tray. With regard to temperature, other incubator brands may recommend a fraction lower - around 37.7C, but 38C is recommended by Janoel users.

Here are his downloadable instructions.

Janoel incubator - user made guide to using Janoel JN8-48:
http://www.backyardpoultry.com/forum3/download_vault/JN848%20user%20guide01.pdf

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:49 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

It means for first 18days i should set 38.0 temperature. And after 18 day 37.5.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:57 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

It means that during incubation you set it on 38C.

The brood period refers to after they have hatched.

For incubation - 38C is what is recommended for the Janoel. That is all the way through until hatch. Don't let it go higher than that.