Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Posted eggs

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Posted eggs
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:28 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Was wondering what the real world experience of people who have receive and incubated eggs from interstate they have received by post.

I havent hacthed better than a 33% from posted, but always get 75% or better from local. I have tried letting them sit for 2 days, tried not letting them sit, recieved them from various breeders, from various parts of the country. Have heard they are no good if xrayed at the airport, heard other people say dont worry about letting them sit, other says its essential?

I have sold a lot of duck eggs and had the buyers tell me mixed results.

What is your experience?

I think i am gonna stop buying them except in person.

Post subject: Re: Posted eggs
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:45 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

My first go with posted eggs has ended successfully.

I had a dozen mixed standard Wyandotte eggs posted from Melbourne to Sthn. NSW. They were brilliantly packed, all survived the journey and i let them settle for a little over 24 hours as suggested by the seller.

My girls are first time broodies, so set 8 of the posted eggs under one girl and 4 plus 4 of my own GLW under the second. Girl 1 sat tight. Girl 2 got unsettled after a heavy thunderstorm and abandoned her eggs (had i known then that it's worth keeping going with cold eggs, i would have chucked the four bought ones in under girl 1)

Girl 1 kicked one egg out at about day 14. Today i have at least 4 peepers in the broody box with Mum, hope for 3 more tomorrow. (edited 10/12/11 to add that we're up to 6 out of the 7 eggs she was sitting on have now hatched. She's still sitting tight so fingers crossed for the magic 7/7 eggs hatching)

All in all, even if i only get these four i am really happy with the overall experience so far. I entered into it with full knowledge that it's a bit of a gamble, and in my eyes this is a positive result. I'd be happy to have a go with posted eggs again. :chicks: :thumbs:

Last edited by dungarron on Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:16 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

:hiya: I think you need to take it as a gamble. I had three chicks out of 1 doz posted from Vic to Tassy and 5 chicks from 18 eggs the next time. I think thats ok. A lot of the eggs when candled were not developing on day 5 and I think thats due to the handling they got from the postie. The breeder I got my eggs from packed them beautifully. Some breeders get a lot of flack about the eggs not being fertile when I believe they sell them in good faith and its the handling that breaks or damages the delicate membrane. For many isolated folk getting posted eggs is the only way of improving their stock be it a gamble I will try it again if I cannot get simular quality birds locally. I say thanks to all those breeders who take the time and effort to sell their eggs through the post. :biggrin: Good luck with the little ones you have :thumbs: Hope thay are not all cockerals!!!! :| Ginny

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:04 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

i ha ve h ad mixed success rates, but i am happy to do so because it enables me to get birds which would otherwise be unavailable to me
some have better hatch rates than ohters
but about 50% is good as far as i am concerned for posted eggs, considering the rough and tumble they get treated with. i have also had much better hatch rates and worse hatch rates than that, but that is about the average.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:50 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Best was I think 8/12, from SA to Melbourne, got similar from Warrnambool to Melbourne.

Worst was 2/36, from NSW to Melbourne,

Ron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:41 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

My worst was two out of twentyfour, Ballarat to Melbourne :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:52 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I never buy less than 2 dozen and then am grateful if I get 6 or more babies (25%). But this is mainly duck eggs and hatch rate for them is lower in an incubator normally than it is for chooks anyway. The last 3 lots of duck eggs I have actually had 11/24 hatch on Aylesbury eggs (then lost power and a couple died in the incubator - I was at work and they were stone cold - nice birds though) 9/24 Swedish and then just recently 2/24 eggs (supposed to be cayuga but knew they weren't pure by the shells, not suitable at all). I am in WA so I am happy to take the gamble to get in eggs. When we bought our first chook eggs to incubate (end of last year) we got close to 70% hatch - I was amazed how easy it was to get chickens out compared to ducks and geese :biggrin:

I think if you accept that you are going to win some and lose some then the gamble is worth it BUT depends on what you want. I am in rural WA and it comes down to how hard it is to source breeders. I have also flown birds from East to West, benefits to this is you know what you are getting but it is more expensive and some breeders won't get the birds to the airport so organising transport is a pain, however the cost is higher and in WA quarantine inspection of incoming birds can be a pain. In my case if I can source eggs I consider the gamble worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:21 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

My first try with posted eggs at the moment. 24 eggs from Vic to NSW. Well packed. Candled at 7 days we have 18 no development, 4 blood rings but no real development, 2 viable and developing. The risk you take I guess. (One nice male out of this lot and I will be more than happy - fingers crossed!).

Burrow Downs - life on a small farm - http://burrowdowns.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:57 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

My worst is 0 out of 12, eggs cost a fortune, being a very rare breed. But I still get eggs in the mail and accept the risk. Best I have had has been 9/12. Always lets them settle, for at least 24 hrs.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:45 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I get mixed results too last lot 6 hatched from 3 dozen but they took 3 weeks in the post lots made it to fully formed but didn't hatch
10 from 3 dozen sent from a different state they took 8 days
and worst was 0 from 2 dozen in the same state only taking 2 days but it was very hot.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:49 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Worst - 1/12
Best - 23/24

I too would buy local if I could but it is simply not an option on most of the breeds I want.

NellyG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:13 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Perhaps it is worth getting them couriered? I am ordering some eggs next Jan, rare breed and very expensive so I might try that. I've had mixed success with mail - worst 0% best 50%.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:54 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Location: drought or flooding rain with the random bushfire storm = yep thats about it for here
it is the transporting that makes the difference =

if you expect 1 from 12 you wont be dissapointed - 6 from 12 and you are doing very well - any more and you are doing excellently

mailed eggs = expect very little then you will not be dissapointed - some and I am not saying this abt you JPete (OR anyone else) but some expect 12 from 12 = not a good idea to have such high hopes

I always get 24 eggs when possible (packed my way only of course) - if I get 2 3 or 4 from that I am happy as mailed eggs are always going to be high risk

look at it this way as well = you get to raise what hatches the way you want and you know what they have or have not been exposed to

in my books that is the payoff for buying posted eggs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:58 am 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Location: drought or flooding rain with the random bushfire storm = yep thats about it for here
virtualalex wrote:
Perhaps it is worth getting them couriered? I am ordering some eggs next Jan, rare breed and very expensive so I might try that. I've had mixed success with mail - worst 0% best 50%.

couriered makes little difference it is the transporting
example I drove 3 doz eggs to a friend last year - hand delivered them and :shock: :o :cry: not one hatched
posted 2 doz to another breeder not far away from this breeder and this other breeder had 50% hatch = luck of the draw
I put it down to all the movement

# not a wise decision as it will be hot - fertility will be low and the eggs will be seriously compromised during transit = just my opion of course but many will agree not to get eggs thru Summer

of course it is always an individuals choice when they get eggs but I would never send or receive eggs thru the heat - not many would

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:19 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

I wasn't going to post in this thread as its been a topic done many times over the years. However, in addition to the very real perils of postage and transportation you have to consider that the egg itself has to be exactly perfect for a healthy chicken to hatch. Chooks are hardwired to give maximum fertility in spring and autumn.

Whenever both roosters and hens are under stress like in hot weather, cold weather, rainy weather etc etc, the fertility of both the hens and roosters is going to suffer. As a general rule if the hens are not laying well at the time of the collection of the eggs then fertility is also at risk.

Mike