Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Is it too late in the season to hatch chicks?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:04 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:30 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I have a stubborn hen who doesn't think so.....I don't have fertile eggs these days since George died - so I'd have to get some from somewhere else.....but is it too late in the season. I am thinking I'd like to try some silkies or frizzles for something different to add to the flock.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:29 pm 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

No its not too late - its just that fertility is very variable in both hens and roosters. As long as you are aware of that then you should get some chickens out of it.

All the normal factors still apply though - eg healthy eggs, from healthy parents, storage, age of eggs, postage (or any form of transportation) etc etc - so many factors influence the hatch rate.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:36 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

If you can get eggs, then go for it! :D

The problem can be that most chooks are going into moult about now. I'm in Western Vic and my Wyandottes have basically completely stopped laying, it's easy to see why as they look like pin cushions!

Funnily enough Mums Silkies and Frizzles are still laying pretty well and don't look to have started their moult yet.

So you could be lucky and find someone locally who is still getting eggs; getting eggs locally dramatically increases your chances of a successful hatch. As Mike said, fertility can be a bit hit or miss, so people are hesitant to post eggs too.

Goodluck! :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:29 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Chicks do grow a little more slowly in cooler weather, and you've got the increased risk of illness from colds etc.

However, I like autumn-hatched chicks because our autumns and winters tend to be very cold and crisp, with frosts and clear sunny days, and ironically these reduce the risk of coccidiosis and external parasites. You may need to bump up the protein and/or vitamins in their diet to compensate for lack of sunlight hours, and be very careful about when you release them outdoors if they're being hand-raised, but the advantage is that you should have pullets ready to start laying as soon as the daylight hours increase.

The downside, for me, is that outdoor chicks can go from healthy to dead in an instant if the weather turns suddenly and violently, which it often does. You need really good housing, rather than the more casual setups that you can get away with in summer.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:06 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi all. I'm just a new member. Our little silky bantam has just hatched one of her eggs. Could anyone tell me if it is better to leave the chick with her mum or to to keep it separately in a warm place?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:31 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Leave with mum :) Mum is more than capable of keeping the chicky warm :)
As with the hatching my last lot of fertile eggs(I drove 3.5 hours for) are more than 90% fertile and developing. Silly me over ordered due to dismal postal hatches and expected some damage on the road but now I'm a over a week in and expecting a bumper hatch of blue and blue laced gold wyandottes,araucanas, a few anconas and some freebie silver gray Dorkings. Whatever this lady is doing is magic because everyone else I know hens have shut down :)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:32 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

mimanddrew do you have chick starter? and a shallow water dish?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:08 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks very much for that. Yes will get chick starter and water tomorrow (only hatched this morning before I went To work).
she still has more eggs she is sitting on. Was reading that she won't look after the hatchling while she is still on the other eggs. Does anyone know if this is right?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:22 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

hi,
she will still look after the little chick, it won't be that energetic yet, it will need a rest from all that hard work hatching. it won't go far while she hatches out the other eggs, and will soon adapt to popping in and out from under mum.

by a magical instinct mum seems to know when to hop up and start dragging her chicks around, although sometimes late hatchers can be left behind. this is where you may need to intervene with artificial heat.............but hopefully that won't be necessary. :chicks: :chicks: :chicks: :chicks: :chicks:

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:28 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

a new chick can go up to 48hrs without feeding. It givess time for the rest to hatch :)

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:50 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

mskittycat wrote:
Leave with mum :) Mum is more than capable of keeping the chicky warm :)
As with the hatching my last lot of fertile eggs(I drove 3.5 hours for) are more than 90% fertile and developing. Silly me over ordered due to dismal postal hatches and expected some damage on the road but now I'm a over a week in and expecting a bumper hatch of blue and blue laced gold wyandottes,araucanas, a few anconas and some freebie silver gray Dorkings. Whatever this lady is doing is magic because everyone else I know hens have shut down :)

Gosh, I am reading that this all over BYP at the moment but we havent stopped yet. Even still getting the odd Guinea Fowl egg laid - but then our fowls are weirdees.

Some are moulting but not that many...................

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:31 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Yes, but you've got the hardy regular layers like Leggies and 'lorps. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:40 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

infoaddict wrote:
Yes, but you've got the hardy regular layers like Leggies and 'lorps. :)

*blush* true :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:26 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

hi donna, i live 7ish hours south of you (thanks google maps) so guinea fowl are a alright even if it is a cooler area. who would have thought they are a layer type chook; you just have to look for the eggs all over the shed . . . . . yard . . . . . . and across the street?

we have most of our girls as mums or moulting or both at our place so very few eggs also.
if it were not for the few guineas still laying we would be getting bugger all.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:18 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I always thought the GF would stop laying around Feb, but even last year our GF girls were still at it at Easter time.

I just thought ours were little weirdees :P ................but maybe not if your GF are still going too.

Just goes to show - you cant believe all you read :rofl: