Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - proper temp. re Cova tutto 20???

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:07 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:55 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Yay I have a 2nd hand cova tutto incubator full with eggs-my first hatch.

Had it running a week ago to get temp. calibrated (semi-auto with ability to re-calibrate temperature)

When filled it with eggs and appropriate water for humidity, got a higher reading than what Ive read should be perfect.
Have read and re-read the manual and nowhere does it mention what temperature the factory would have calibrated it to.
Also am confused with threads that contradict- eg 37.7 C but some models 38.5 correct AND the difference between incubator temp. and egg core temp.

I have a therm/hydro with probe at same level as the eggs and it fluctuates between the above mentioned temperatures BUT

have had to calibrate it lower than the original setting to acheive that variation. The internal thermometer reads below the red line that is MEANT to show the appropriate heat according to the manufacturer.

Does anyone know what temperature the manufacturer Novital would have set this model to?

Am aware the thermometers can be about a degree out either way, but I am fearful that I am slow poaching rather than incubating!!

What is the theory behind a 'heat sink'-does this help both temp and humidity???

Any help would be great-this is my very first time and am definitely not holding out for a great hatch first time around. Just need to work out if relatively on track from those who may have experience with this model.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:02 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Welcome mummsybear,

mummsybear wrote:
Does anyone know what temperature the manufacturer Novital would have set this model to?

Sorry I don't know anything about this incubator brand.
Bumping your post up might help you find better info:

mummsybear wrote:
Am aware the thermometers can be about a degree out either way, but I am fearful that I am slow poaching rather than incubating!!

What is the theory behind a 'heat sink'-does this help both temp and humidity???

Any help would be great-this is my very first time and am definitely not holding out for a great hatch first time around. Just need to work out if relatively on track from those who may have experience with this model.

I keep my incubator at 38c. and never below, with humidity it can reach 39c to 40c but it has a fan going all the time to even out the humidity and temperature...I never ever considered a heat sink.