Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Day-old with a dodgy leg- any physio suggestions?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:14 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:50 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi guys,

I have a day-old chick with a funny leg:

He's an active little chick and happy otherwise, although he doesn't run, he kinda hops quickly like a frog. Its like the leg is 'caught' back and won't streach out like a normal leg. I have been streaching it for him, a few times a day, and it seems to help a little. I was concerned that it may be deformed though and will never get any better?

Not sure why the other pics won't show up but they are in the gallery...

Is there anything that could be done for it? Or does he have to exit this world :(

Thanks Emma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:11 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi Emma,

These sites may help with your problem .

http://www.guineafowlinternational.org/ ... ad&id=8532

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:27 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Hi Emma

It could be a slipped tendon like this little chick has. The leg on the left (as you look at it) is normal the other one has a slipped tendon. After a while it gets inflamed as the chick walks on its hocks.

Sorry to say that, unlike spraddle, a slipped tendon is very hard (read impossible) to fix. Best to put the little one out of its misery. In the long run it's the best thing for you too. Hopefully its spraddle and the advice about using bandaids really works.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:03 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks guys.

I have had a 'spraddle' one before, and the bandaid splint worked like a charm. With this one though I can't see a splint like that being strong enough to be effective.

You're right Anna it looks just like that. I had a look at the links already, there is info there about fixing a tendon but from memory it says 'this is very complicated' and then I think she's going to post about it elsewhere?

I'll try and find it. Have you guys had any experience with fixing a slipped tendon?

On the other hand Anna you may be right :cry: If needed... how would I go about doing that...?

:upset: just at the thought of it. Oh dear. I hatched them, have to be prepared to dispatch them.

:thanks: Emma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:08 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Ok so have read the guinea fowl thread- thanks for that one, its pretty good!

Now for operation 'slip the tendon back into place and fix it with duct tape'.

Wish me luck. I'll take photos.

:thumbs: Emma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:18 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Unfortunately I have had several experiences with slipped tendons. I've tried everything suggested on the net. Fixing spraddle legs gave me the confidence to think I could fix a slipped tendon too. Good luck with the duct tape anyway.

I think the condition is linked to the health of the hens. After it happened a few times I switched to better quality feed for my breeding hens and, touch wood, I haven't had one for ages.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Yep. This is way hard.

I can feel the tendon slipping back and forth, but can't get the tape to hold it :(

The little one is from a posted egg- one of 7 that hatched from a dozen eggs.

I have the tape on, might leave it for 24 hours and see if anything happens. The chick is really reluctant to put any weight on the bad leg and has been 'turtling' when it tries to run, so I have added support strapping at the front of each leg near the joint; and put a straddle splint on for good measure. Its a bit stressed out now (no wonder), but will have a look in the morning.

I did a 'more tape is more better' on the joint. Fingers crossed.

:thanks: help much appreciated

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:33 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

There has been succes in treating slipped tendon like the follow site http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/20183 ... k-any-hope

I would also suggest a vet they can fix a slipped tendon if all else doesn't work , good luck .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:47 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Quote:
On the other hand Anna you may be right :cry: If needed... how would I go about doing that...?

A strong pair of scissor with sharp blades is an effective despatch tool for very young birds. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:52 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Update- after 36 hours...

Things seem to be improving! The chick is walking standing up now, and seems to have much more strength in its good leg. The bad leg is hanging lower, so that his toes touch the ground quite well when he walks, but he's not putting any weight on it as yet.

I have continued with the spraddle strap as well as the tendon strapping. This seems to be encouraging it to stand and use both legs.... fingers still crossed!

Re-did the strapping last night and will redo again tonight. Its quite a distressing experience for the little thing but he does recover again, eating and drinking as normal.

I'll try and take a video of him moving around tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:46 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi Emma,

Im very happy to hear that ...sometime with some effort things can work out ...even though stressfull for the chick but on the long run this little fellow will live a normal life if all goes well , specially when there a week old there's more of a chance ... Well done so far :thumbs:

Last edited by Medscicl on Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:24 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

eschlachter wrote:
Things seem to be improving! The chick is walking standing up now, and seems to have much more strength in its good leg. The bad leg is hanging lower, so that his toes touch the ground quite well when he walks, but he's not putting any weight on it as yet.

I have continued with the spraddle strap as well as the tendon strapping. This seems to be encouraging it to stand and use both legs.... fingers still crossed!

Re-did the strapping last night and will redo again tonight. Its quite a distressing experience for the little thing but he does recover again, eating and drinking as normal.

Hi Emma,

I will be interested to see the video. The truth is that cases of slipped tendon are very different to spraddle legs. Spraddle or splay legs can be fixed with a bandaid splint. Slipped tendon (if this is what your chick has) is not something that is going to be fixed. What usually happens if the chick is otherwise strong and can hop around is that they grow and develop as normal in other respects but their leg joint is never any good. The leg will end up sticking out the side and the chicken will be quite badly handicapped. It's not a good life. Chickens need two legs to live a normal life scratching around.

I have had a case of slipped tendon in a gosling repair by surgery for many hundreds of dollars, but they are a larger bird and that was also an extremely difficult case.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:38 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

http://youtu.be/tu88OqLZoYg

Ok! That only took me about 2 hours of computer time... but hopefully it works!

Thank you all for the comments so far. I'm really torn on whether or not things are going to become any better, or not- especially bearing in mind your words Anna, that it could be a lot of sound and fury (and heartbreak) signifying nothing, at the end of the day.

What do you think? Time to give up hope...?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:41 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Oh, and apologies for the video quality. The best footage is at the end.

And I do clean their brooder every morning, but the little monkeys are so messy! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:43 am 
Great Game
Great Game

Hi Emma

I found it difficult to tell whether the slipped tendon was actually back in place. If it's not then the taping achieves little.

Quote:
What usually happens if the chick is otherwise strong and can hop around is that they grow and develop as normal in other respects but their leg joint is never any good. The leg will end up sticking out the side and the chicken will be quite badly handicapped. It's not a good life. Chickens need two legs to live a normal life scratching around.

I think Chicken07 has summed up the situation perfectly. This is exactly what happened to one of my chicks. Somehow I missed seeing the slipped tendon until he was about 6 weeks old and by then he had managed to grow up and learned to hobble about. He has a good life and then went to a family who probably made a curry out of him.

You do learn to toughen up.