Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Pipping but not hatching

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pipping but not hatching
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:40 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I have 36 eggs in the hatching tray. It's day 22 now & I have at least 6 pipped but still none hatched. We went away for a week & had friends house sit, so I don't know what may have happened in that time. Possibly the temp got too low. Not sure if the water dish dried out at any point. What are your thoughts? Advice?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:01 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Dont stress yet sometimes it can take some time from pipping to hatching and day 22 can still be ok too, did you count from the day you put them in or the following day? as day one is the day after you put the eggs in there.

Did you up the humidity for these past few days three days before due date? (depending on incubator) topping up water channels etc?

Try not to open the lid whilst chicks are pipping or hatching.

What sort of incubator are you using? that may help answer your questions better.

good luck, I know how stressful it can be waiting for babies to hatch, my last 2 hatches I have gone out for tea, not cos I wanted too but because I had too, (birthday dinners). It really was a blessing not being there as I came home to find incubator full of little chicks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:15 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thank you. I'm using an IM 36 egg auto turn. I think the water dish may have gotten dry in the first week, but not sure how long for. I took them out of the turning racks on Monday, filled the water dish, which still has water in it & haven't opened it since. The air vent is only open a wee sliver.

I know what you mean! I always feel like an anxious mummy waiting for them to hatch! I can hear cheeping in there now. I think there are 8 pipped.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:44 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Just had the first one hatch! I lovely little wet Australorp.

When there are so many in the hatching tray, the new chicks knock the other eggs quite a bit - does this affect hatching rate? Is there a way to avoid this? Like putting dividers in the hatching tray to reduce the amount of knocking & rolling of other eggs?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:07 pm 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

No they will be fine

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:20 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Yay, :chicks: :chicks: :chicks: as mike said they will be fine, sometimes I find the ones running around knocking the pipped/hatching eggs is good as I encourages the others to get out.

Pictures of the little chicks once hatched and dried, are always great, please feel free to add some, hint hint:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:48 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Dont forget also that the chick themselves turns a circle within the egg to unzip and push its way out of the egg- so at some point would turn its way upside down anyway. I joke sometimes that my ducklings are able to play soccer before they can walk with the way they can move the eggs around :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:53 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

6 have now hatched, out of 36 eggs. I can see two more pipped, as they have been all day. Not holding out hope for many more, unfortunately. BUT, the 6 are uber cute fluffies! 5 Australorps, definitely one of them is blue, and one Silver Laced Wyandotte. One of the pipped eggs is a Light Sussex & if she makes it out, she'll be my first from that breed. :D

Now I need to figure out how to post pics on here... Can I do it by linking to a pic on facebook?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:25 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Bandicoot Valley wrote:
Can I do it by linking to a pic on facebook?

Yes, as long as it is publicly viewable. Get the picture url. Some browsers let you do that by right-clicking on the picture. Then paste it into a post here and then while it's still highlighted clicked on the Img button on the posting screen. That puts a tag at the front and at the end and the picture should display.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:51 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

6 Australorps & 1 SLW. The one at the back left had just flopped out of her shell about a minute before taking this pic. :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:51 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hmmm, I really must clean that glass.... :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:51 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Cute chickies. I'm glad you got some. :D

The hatch rate wasn't great but it sounds like you know of a few possible problems. If I were you I would keep the others in the incubator for another day or so just to be sure no more are coming. A low temperature can delay hatching.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:24 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

10 have hatched now & 1 more has pipped. 30% hatch rate isn't good at all! I had 90% last time! Still, some fluffies are better than none & I guess these little ones will be strong.

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. And yes, I'll keep the unhatched eggs in another couple of days & cross my fingers.