Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - chirping in egg on day 16?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:52 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I can hear chirping from an egg in the incubator, but it's only day 16. Not sure what to do... should I take the egg turner out in case I have a baby ready to hatch? Will this affect the other chicks chances? ( i have twenty two other eggs inside) If they start hatching with the turner in I'm concerned about injuries. I can't see any pipping. Does anyone know how long they might chirp for before hatching? Also, I don't know whether to raise the humidity early...Thanks for any advice,
Sarah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:05 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Where did you gets the eggs from, I would say that egg was sat on by a clucky chook
for a week or it's not a chicken egg,?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:46 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

If it's not pipped yet, then it will be fine to leave the auto turner on. After pipping it will still be a while before hatching (anything from a few hours to a couple of days... more often than not it's more than 24 hrs from pipping to hatch).

Just keep an eye on that one egg for signs of pipping & zipping. Once it starts to zip, that's when I'd turn the auto turner off if you're particularly worried about injuries... likely to be close to day 18 for the others then, and you can always quickly manually turn them if this first one speeds up a heap.

If you have a type of turner that allows you to take this egg out of the turner & leave the others in a turner (row style) then I'd do that instead.

If it's flopping about after hatch on the other eggs it won't affect them adversely... it'll cheep like crazy wanting company & the rolling about will encourage the others to hatch. The only thing I'd keep an eye on is that if none of the others are showing signs of pipping by the time this first one dries out, I'd keep a close eye on the amount of poop (and therefore bacteria) building up in your incubator.. but let's not worry about that until this one makes an appearance in the world as you may not have to worry in the slightest. :thumbs:

I understand your concerns about injuries... I frequently forget to count the days as day 21 approaches (earlier for my Jap quail) & often don't turn the turner off until I hear chirping. Twice I've come home to Jap quail hatched in an incubator... first one I ever spotted like that was like a toy... sitting upright in the eggshell like some sort of wind-up toy. I've never lost a chook that's hatched in the turner (not that I never will.. and I always check for chirps each night nowadays) but have lost a Jap quail chick that got stuck under the mesh at the bottom of the incubator & drowned itself.. poor little fella. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:55 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

What humidity level do you have it on now? It's more important that overall humidity for the entire incubation period averages out to be appropriate... the best method for judging that is about candling the eggs & checking air sac size... other threads in here tell you more about that & what to look for.

Oh, and in my experience, from hearing chirping to pipping (when the first break through the shell is made) can be up to 24 hrs.
Then pipping to zipping (when they start to break the shell in a line around the circumference) usually happens after they've had up to 12 hrs rest (some more, some less). Zipping can take from 20 minutes to a few hours in my experience, but I've had ones pip one morning & not zip completely until 24 hrs later, with rests inbetween doing parts of the circumference.
Then they'll often rest as the zipping is nearly done & do a few massive convulsions (it'll look like they're kicking out of the shell) before magically hatching.

It's hard work hatching, and there are a myriad of physiological changes required along the way... chookyinoz or Chicken07 (I think it's one of them) has a good post somewhere in BYP about the whole process & how complex it is.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:59 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

macar wrote:
Where did you gets the eggs from, I would say that egg was sat on by a clucky chook
for a week or it's not a chicken egg,?

Yes, I guess that's possible. I once had a duck hatch and rear a chic so nothing would surprise me :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:03 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Winglet: thank you for your help. I have had the humidity running a bit too high (55-65) throughout - I've had trouble keeping it down, and I'm concerned the air sacs arent large enough so I've dropped it back, but then I worried if one's already trying to hatch that it might need to stay up. I havent heard anymore chirping today but I havent been around much either... no pipping that i can see. Anyway, thanks again and fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:06 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

hobbychick wrote:
Winglet: thank you for your help. I have had the humidity running a bit too high (55-65) throughout - I've had trouble keeping it down, and I'm concerned the air sacs arent large enough so I've dropped it back, but then I worried if one's already trying to hatch that it might need to stay up. I havent heard anymore chirping today but I havent been around much either... no pipping that i can see. Anyway, thanks again and fingers crossed!

Personally I wouldn't drop the humidity... or raise it... considering you've had it running high throughout.... if I was in your position I'd be on BYP asking Chicken07, chookyinoz or taylorducks (the Mods in this subforum) whether to alter the humidity at all at this point before I touched the dial.... hopefully they'll see this latest post & offer advice from a more experienced perspective. Or another of the BYPers that has lots of experience in this situation may be able to offer advice.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:29 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

:thanks:

All this stress and worry... and hens just do it so easy!