Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Broodies: All for one and one for all

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:53 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:53 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

So two wyandottes have been hanging out in the nest together for a couple of days and doing the broody thing while every one else lays all over them. A third is looking suspiciously like she is turning to the dark side as well.

I have moved the two girls into a separate cage inside the big pen so they can happily sit until I can make some alternative arrangements for them. Just not sure what alternatives at the moment :hmmm: There are eggs in the incubator due next week that I can put under them after they hatch but will probably have to separate them to do that safely.

They have both been busy pinching each others eggs to sit on :biggrin: I gave each of them 3 eggs. Sometimes one has four then both have three each then back to four. Busy growling at each other under their breath and me too.

Given that is is broodie time of year do you have any in your coops and what do you do with them when there are more than one at a time?

What is your broody record for numbers turning evil all at once?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:56 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I don't want to jinx myself RJ, but we only have 2 at the moment & one with a couple of 4 day olds.
We had a Pekin & Duccle that used to go broody together, they successfully raised chicks together twice, before we lost the Pekin, it was great to watch as they would take turns of doing the mothering.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:59 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

If I can leave them together I would like to do that Lacy. It makes it so much easier all round. Maybe I will try it and see what happens. I love experiments :globe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:02 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

One way to find out, hopefully it will work out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:02 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Hi redjohanna, 4 out of my 6 silkies all went broody in the heart of winter. I put fertile eggs under 2 of them in the same pen and it worked out ok. They've raised their chicks and they are all still with them at the moment. The other 2 silkies I put in a separate coop as they were being nasty to the others. Also 1 of my silkies got up off her nest after 4 days and her chicks were too young to be with the others.
My original broody silkies chicks are now 12wks old and she has gone obsessively broody again. She really has a screw loose when it comes to broodiness. I keep taking her off her nest and putting her outside because I cant put any eggs under her at the moment. I've got 19 chicks in their coop! But she lets out this screech and goes running back to her nest.
If the others silkies start their 'bok, bok, bok' too I'm going to scream! :aaah!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:07 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Silkies are renown for being broody so best of luck avoiding it :rofl:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:37 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Hey Redjohanna,
ive got 1 broody wyandotte in the main coop , though shes not very serious about it yet, when she gets off the nest the rooster makes a very hasty bee line to her with his wings held low and tail flared- shes an easy target at the moment; and ive got another being mum to some 5 day olds. Ive got them housed in those cheap little coops you get online temporarily till i can get my act together and knock up something a bit more permanent.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:47 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Thanks Deb
I do have one of those coops. It is inside the studio under cover but it is full of bantam chicks at the moment with more waiting in the wings to have their turn at it.

Might have to bodgy a coop up today for them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:35 am 
Great Game
Great Game

One plan is to set both and then move all the chickens to one hen for brooding. Can also be useful if fertility is patchy when one good clutch of fertile eggs can be assembled from both broodies.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:47 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Good idea blackleghorn.
I had 2 broodies in a pen once and they did ok, and when chicks hatched they did share in looking after eachothers chicks, but they were close friends. Most get too jealous(abit like humans too).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:10 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Last year when I had 7 hens laying, 4 of them were broody at the same time (September). I'd given the original a dozen eggs, then as each new one went broody I shared her eggs between them. They ended up with 3 each - one hatched 3, and everyone else hatched 2, over the same couple of days. Two of those girls (frizzles) ended up co-raising - they and their chicks would squeeze into the same small nesting box for the night, despite ample empty boxes available, and one would look after the chicks, and the other would chase away any potential threats. The other two, silkies, kept to themselves with their chicks.

In November another silkie went broody, and two of the girls above went in for their second go, so 3 broody at the same time. Then the other silkie from round one went broody again in December, along with 3 other hens who hadn't hatched chicks yet. So again, another 4 at the same time, though their chicks hatched out a week or so apart.

After that they staggered things a bit - I had an average of one go broody each month from January through to June, then nothing until this month, and one has just gone broody again this week ( :woot: )

Now I have 10 of laying age, and 8 of those ARE laying (except the broody one now). Won't surprise me if we get 4 or 5 broody together in the next month or so.

I just leave them in with everyone else now - too much mucking around trying to separate everyone and we've had good experiences with them together. The girls without chicks free range all day, and the mums can decide when they want to take their chicks out into the big, wide world. I've been very lucky in that only once have we ever had them turn on each other (we had roosters "coming of age" and one of them would kill the little chicks, until we got rid of them - they carried on the behaviour at their new home, so they didn't last long).

My biggest problem will be finding nesting boxes for them all. We used to have 10, then I gave 4 away, but if half my layers go broody, that'll only leave one box for the rest. Will have to wait and see how that works out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:24 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Fantastic you can leave them together Shaz :biggrin: That makes it so much easier to deal with. I dont think I would trust mine enough to do that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:28 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I think the fact that they have so much room to move around helps a lot. If I weren't letting the others out to free range from the moment they get up, I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't trust them all just in the run together either.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:51 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I have 3 broodies atm and one with 3 day olds. Thats it, no one else is able to go broody, there's no more room and with every one broody there's no eggs fertile or not. No wonder we all have to keep building new coops, as soon as you have one group settled they all need more room!!! Cant complain i supose saves on electricity. :rofl:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:07 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Three broodies at the moment- the usual offender Penny the wyndotte, and joining her is Ruby the rhode island red and Corrie the coronation sussex. I've let them go until now, but Corrie is losing condition so into the quarantine broody bin for her and Penny. Ruby was good tonight and decided to sleep on the perch with the others. I'm waiting for the other usual offending wyndotte to turn and join her mate Penny. Pretty girls but golly their broodiness drives me mad!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next