Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Broody hen has crushed egg - chick still alive

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:55 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:46 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Okay... So I have a broody sitting on eggs. It's day 23 today; two chicks have hatched and a few others are pipping. One chick looks like it has been pipping away quite nicely but may have been crushed at some stage during the process. The shell is quite badly crushed and a lot of the outer membrane is exposed (there's probably only a half to two thirds of shell left). The chick is still curled up inside the membrane, except for areas near its beak, and it is cheeping and moving. There are still quite a lot of the larger blood vessels present so I'm certain he/she is not quite ready to leap out yet. My questions are how long do I wait before intervening (if at all)? What is the likely prognosis for this chick? Thanks for any help :-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:14 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Intervene now although I think it will be a lost cause. Hatching not just as simple as the chick emerging from the egg, many things happen as it hatches and they all play a part in producing a healthy semi competent young bird.

At this point you have nothing to lose as it will die if left.

Be wary of inspecting hns that are hatching chickens. They often get very protective and race out to protect hatching chicks tampling babes and crushing eggs. We all get excited and want see the result but its often at a very big cost.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:17 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thank you so much for the advice. I popped out there to assist this little one, and unfortunately he/she had already died. He/she had managed to get it's way out of the egg but was under his/her mother dead. I can only conclude that it wasn't going to make it any way. So heart breaking :(
More heart breaking news is that quite a few of the other eggs were not viable. I still have my two hatched, two more pipping and two more with definite movement in them. My only hope now is that Mum doesn't itchy feet & hop off the nest like my previous broody did (with unhatched babies left behind!).
You are right about leaving the broody alone. I was so stressed about this hatch because the were 'overdue', I had been losing sleep over it all! Also, my silly hen decided to sit on the concrete floor to hatch her eggs and wasn't keen on the idea of being moved. I put straw under her but she would shuffle it all out to the sides. I think the cold concrete is partly to blame for a slightly slower hatch and possibly the reason for so many non-viables!
Thanks again for your help :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:03 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

So sorry :( I hope you get some more chicks to add to the hatched two :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:18 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks :) I hope so too. They are sooo cute. Just one more would at least put a happy ending to the whole story. In the end, my Mummy hen will be glad with what she's been given. We don't really need any more chooks but our broody was very, very persistent, and without resorting to cruelty, fertile eggs were our only option for her. It's her first time as a Mum (she's an Australorp) and I'm feeling quite proud of her. She's the sweetest little thing. Soooo patient!
:)