Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Dont always write of chicks that look dead

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:19 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:10 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

My slw standard hen hatched 5 chicks but refused to leave the unhatched eggs, i thought after a couple of days she would leave with the chicks, well apparently not. Found the chicks out from under her near the food but all laying still and cold. Checked each chick and 2 were barely breathing the others clearly dead. Put the 2 chicks who were very still and cold except for the faint breathing in the brooder under heat and a couple of hrs later moving around the brooder on the way to recovery, still weak but sitting up and moving around the brooder. Had the same experience with baby king quail, amazing that they can come back from this. :shock: used to put the baby quail in my top shirt pocket and when they were running around in pocket after being in the same state as these chicks could be put back with mum.
Hopefully the chicken chick fully recover, these are blr standard wyandotte cockerel over dlg barnies hens, nice eb chicks. Might set some of these eggs in bator to see if get some nice pullets for future layers in layer pen. :thumbs:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:22 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Just checked again, 1 is quite alert and cherping, but the other is shaking its head like a spastic, will see what they are like in the morning.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:11 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Sorry to hear that this has happened. Glad at least one is going well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:11 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I found one this am too - out of the nest and cold but just a little weak movement. It had really hard, dirty bum and was skinny so I guess it wasn't eating. I've been walking around with sweat shirt tucked into track pants (lovely look) to warm it up while the bator was heating. It has picked up but is weak. Has now had warm butt wash, will try a little warm mash and into the bator - the rest is up to the chick. I'm already calling it 'him'.
it is a good feeling when it works - I can't not try.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:06 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

About 3 months ago we had some week old chicks in our brooder. It was quite warm during the day but cool at night, so I would turn off the heat during the day and back on at night. Yep, forgot to turn it on one night, went down in the morning surprised to see that all bar one had survived my mistake. I picked up the cold dead chick to throw him out but thought I saw some movement so held him tight in my hands while I waited for the heat lamp to heat up. Lo and behold he started to come to life! He slowly got more active as he warmed up and was eventually standing up again. I was sure he would probably die anyway from some illness due to the trauma.

Here he is 3 months down the track. We call him "Ice Cube" :rofl:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:30 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

A cool customer :)