Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - E1 fan.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:16 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: E1 fan.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:39 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Hi All;
I have an old E1 someone has dropped off as it doesn't hold temp properly any more.

My question is, which way should the fan blow the air?

I've always thought it blows the air down the right hand side into the main chamber and circulates before coming back up left hand side over the wafer and light then the fan ..........

Can someone please look at their incubator for me. Can you look at the fan and tell me is the top of the fan blades moving towards front of incubator or towards the back.
thank you.
Denis

Post subject: Re: E1 fan.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:41 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

Hi Denis,
Your explanation is correct, the fan is angled on the RHS and pushes the air down the RHS of the incubator at about 30' angle from vertical. The thermostat is on the LHS and air is pulled over the water dish.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:56 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

You might want to also consider adding an extra globe. I wired up dual globes in my E1 and it will run perfect even in winter outside the house in temperatures below zero. The globes should be 250watts, if your machine has a single 100watt globe, then this may account for not holding its temp. Running the machine in Summer or warmer climates you will get away will lower wattage globes, but Bendigo gets very cold in winter!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:37 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Thanks Andy;
Yeah, I always thought it should do as you described and I've worked on a dozen or so.
Now of course the reason for my question is this one is blowing the air the other way.

I looked at it and thought it must have been that someone had taken the fan blades off and put them on back to front.
However turning the blades around still gives you the blades angled exactly the same.

The only way you can reverse the direction of air flow is to spin them the opposite way.
This means for whatever reason the fan motor is running backwards. Weird.

You are right about the dual globes. The large globe it came with blew after a couple of hours of testing. I see that all the time. I don't think a car trip is good for an aging globe element.

This E1 has the wafer which appears fine and the fan which is obviously not. I think I'll replace the fan, it felt very hot at one stage but was normal some time later.

It has a lot of rust, the floor is really bad. The shelf the water etc sits on is very rusty and rust almost reaches the motor bracket.
With a bit of work it should be OK.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:56 am 
Great Game
Great Game

Are the fans 12 v, i know that with the thermo fans on cars swaping the wires around reverses the direction that the motor runs and can change the fan from push or pull.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:16 am 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

I think the very early models had less baffles around the fan, but so might not channel the air flow quite as good. It sounds like the fan blade has been put on back to front as I don't think the motors are reversible. You can buy new blades, I will try and get a photo of mine for you. The globes are actually 200watts (not 250W as I previously mentioned) and can still be purchased. with the fan running, and the front door open, you should be able to put your arm up the RHS and feel the air current pushing down. Or put your cheek (or other sensitive body part) to the breather holes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:27 am 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:34 am 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

mycoola wrote:
Are the fans 12 v

they are 240V fans

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:36 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

does the red zip tie and the uneven dirt on the cable make it look like someone has tried to "fix it"

Can the motor be installed rotated vertically 180 degrees?

this would blow the air the opposite way assuming changing the wires on the motor wont work

I am constantly surprised how often people try and fix things and then reassemble them wrong.

But then some people struggle with Ikea stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:07 pm 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

the photo is actually my machine, I just put it up so Denis could see what the blade looked like attached on a working machine. It does need a good clean. These incubators are usually bomb proof. When the top lid is off, air blows all over the place which might give the appearance of blowing air the wrong way. Viewing the fan from behind it spins in a anti-clockwise direction.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:56 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Alright, I have discovered a few things.

Most importantly is that if the fan blades are put on back to front it makes no difference. That is because the blades are still angled the same way.
Much easier to see with the blade off and you flip over and see for yourself. Trust me, I will post photos in a day or two.

That left me with a motor running backwards. I don't know a lot about motors but I think they have capacitors or something that make them start to spin in the right direction. I thought I would pull motor apart to see if I could see anything.
I did and I couldn't see anything I knew anything about.

What I did see was the motor is now in three parts. Two alloy round end caps you see that are the casing and all the rest of it in one piece.

I thought what would happen if I swapped the two casing parts over as they look identical ......

What happens is the motor will now spin the other way.

So I guess it is problem solved, for now.

The motor was definitely spinning the wrong way. Clockwise instead of anti clock as Andy said. I doubt anyone took it apart so why that has happened I have no idea.

I will put the motor back in and see how we go now it is blowing the right way.

I am not convinced the motor is up to 100% and will suggest to guy that we get a new one.

When Andy mentioned the baffling I think that can be pretty important as can bent blades.

Thanks for all your help guys.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:13 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

The motor may have got hot when first started from a build up of fluff/ dust so now that you have pulled it apart and probably cleaned it it should run cooler. If the windings looked in good shape , no corrosion or chipped coatiing ,the bearings spun freely i would run it for a day and monitor, could test it for any leakage back to earth. By assembling the other way around in the casings you have essentially reversed the windings, it may have been pulled apart before or it may have been assembled wrongly ( doubtful ). Yes the blades will always be the same if you turn them over. Would be fun to restore it with new sheet metal etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:46 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

mycoola wrote:
The motor may have got hot when first started from a build up of fluff/ dust so now that you have pulled it apart and probably cleaned it it should run cooler. If the windings looked in good shape , no corrosion or chipped coatiing ,the bearings spun freely i would run it for a day and monitor, could test it for any leakage back to earth. By assembling the other way around in the casings you have essentially reversed the windings, it may have been pulled apart before or it may have been assembled wrongly ( doubtful ). Yes the blades will always be the same if you turn them over. Would be fun to restore it with new sheet metal etc.

Yeah I have reversed the windings I guess. There is actually 4 parts to it. Two identical end casings, the windings and the rotor shaft. What I have done is reverse the rotor shaft in the windings I guess.

The fan looks OK but if I put it face down on the table you could see that not all the blades touch the table meaning a couple are bent out of shape.

So I bent slightly the edges of the blades to make them all sit flat on table. Then I flipped the fan over and repeated the process to line those edges up better. Pretty rough but looks better now.

i'll clean it as best as I can and she how it goes.