Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Old Multiplo 1300 capacity parts/rebuild. Any suggestions?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:50 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

833 Watts!!!

if you plan to use it a lot you could contemplate buying a new one.

the energy savings would pay for it in a couple of years.

also with any technology it improves with time

this assumes you just want an egg hatching machine.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:46 pm 

Yes, the black motor is for the fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:17 am 

Denis wrote:
I've rewired a heap of the multiquip ones, E1 , E2 and E3's.
Usually when I've rewired them it is because owner wants a conversion to a digital/electronic thermostat, and the original wiring still OK.

I have an Applied Science degree in Instrumentation and have built and repaired dozens of incubators.

The Multipro's are same company from an earlier time.

I googled Multipro 1300 and found on gumtree this http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/warwick/pet-products/multiplo-1300-egg-incubator/1099705095
It's a big old wooden one. Is yours the same as this?

Can you post pictures when you get it.

I've never seen one like this but ... incubators are reasonably simple.

One thing good about the E1 -- E3's is the fan plugs into a socket with a normal plug. So you can plug the fan motor into an extension cord and test it all on it's own. Hopefully you can do that with all the motors in yours to see if they (most expensive/hard to replace) still work.

I live in Bendigo, and if you brought it to me I could check it out for you without charge and let you know what needs doing.
If you know what you're are doing there is stuff you usually can fix in 5 minutes. Stuff like a stuck wafer or micro switch I (and many others on forum) can fix in 5 minutes.
Replacing damaged wiring is very easy and I doubt there is more than $10 worth of wiring all up.
Not sure of the fans in yours but ones from Multiquip cost $130 from Bellsouth.
Digital Thermostats or PID Thermostats can be bought on ebay for less than $50 though you do have to be a little careful.

If it's a big old wooden one I wouldn't mind a look at it anyway and would do it and only charge for parts.

But anyway when you buy it post pics of it from all angles inside and out and we'll all help you from there.

Is the offer still on the table Denis? If not, that's fine, I've just got to get it out of my horse float because it's needed to do horsey things!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:06 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

I did reply to your pm Lena.
Along the lines of don't bring it here it is too much trouble for you to be loading/unloading any more than is necessary.
I am off work this week so could come and look at it later in the week.
I'll help you decide what needs to done/replaced help find parts etc. .....
This is my email address denisboc@bigpond.com
Looking forward to hearing from you.
cheers
Denis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:28 am 

Yay ! Thank you! I'm sorry, I didn't find your reply. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:48 pm 

So.......
I was unable to resist and plugged it in.
The thermostat that had been added appeared to work fine. The cable from the centre of the roof was OK but I'm not even sure what is for or if it's been disconnected. That enormous fan system worked for about 20 second before the safety switch on the house kicked in & shut off all power. I was kind of counting on that too tell me if things were OK or not- gratefully relieved the plan worked!
I'm not sure where to go from here. Obviously someone who knows about electrical things! I'm thinking maybe I should just go with brand new heating and fan system. I priced them up on line but not sure how good they are. Has anyone had any experience with buying/using these items?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:57 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Talk to Denis - this is exactly his area.

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:13 am 

Yay! Dennis is coming today. So excited!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:45 am 
Forum Founder
Forum Founder

I also have one of these out in the shed. The angle of the trays was found to be insufficient, so they ended up with a wire grid that sits on the trays to give the eggs extra tilt. Very impressive with the big fly wheel on the side, but it looks like yours has had a few modifications with electronic thermostat and guards.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:50 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Andy Vardy wrote:
I also have one of these out in the shed. The angle of the trays was found to be insufficient, so they ended up with a wire grid that sits on the trays to give the eggs extra tilt. Very impressive with the big fly wheel on the side, but it looks like yours has had a few modifications with electronic thermostat and guards.

This was a really interesting project. I've never been able to or had to sit in an incubator I've worked on before.
Someone had previously fitted the same Shimano PID control the more modern E1, E2 and E3 had.
The four original heaters are spaced throughout the Incubator, and are great. I like this better than the modern ones having all the heat at the top.
Andy hit the nail on the head about not enough tilt. The real reason for this is they were too ambitious in the number of trays they tried to fit. The top ones will hit the ceiling and the bottom ones the floor if you try to tilt any further.
You could cut a few levels off the bottom and drop the tilting frame a bit lower to get full tilt.

The trays are a lot of metal that impede airflow, hence the huge fan with paddles that take up both sides to push air over the eggs.
Lose those trays and run angle or 20x40mm across the levels for the modern E1 trays to sit on is the go.

In this project the huge fan had to go as it was drawing too much power for the house circuit. I just put a few smaller desk type fans in there.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:22 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hello Dennis,
Have you come across a manual for the SR22 PID controller pictured with this incubator? I have mentioned in the past that I have one, and have received a few enquiries over time re info on this unit. Mine is controlling the temperature on an E2 and also didn't have a manual with it.
The incubator itself is a classic that's for sure. It would have been interesting to have worked on it.
Can you tell me whether the E2 normally has one fan or two fitted?
regards,
Lucky.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:03 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

I don't have a manual, to calibrate the controller for this I looked high and low and couldn't find one. I ended up just sussing it out from memory and stuff. At the time I wondered if I ever had a manual.
I've a couple of controllers here at home and looked inside one recently and noticed the little DIP switches inside where you can actually configure it and remembered doing that to one once. That is something I couldn't begin to attempt without a manual.
So I might have one somewhere or I might have lost the manual I did have. Maybe it is on an old computer I have that may or may not fire up.
If you have specific questions I might be able play with one of mine to find out how to do what your looking for.

E2 has two fans. Basically is same as E1 except twice as deep. Has 2 fans side by side. Know this as I had one here once that was overheating. One fan was basically running really hot and heating incubator.

If I find a Shimano manual will definitely post on this site.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:14 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks Denis,
I don't need any info on the SR22 at this stage. Luckily I have not had any trouble with it to date. A manual would certainly be handy for it that's for sure. It was just that a few people via this site have contacted me looking for data for them.
My E2 had two fans but was originally set up for ostrich eggs so I thought they might have needed more air circulation for those as I believe they have bigger vents in the cabinet as well. As we are off grid I removed one fan as an experiment years ago to save power. I converted it back to suit chook eggs with the innards out of a hatcher.
Interestingly we still got perfect hatches with only one fan.
This then made me think about just how much air circulation happens under a sitting chook..... All good.
Thanks for the reply.