Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Another nest and broody

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:05 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another nest and broody
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:19 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Things here are moving along at a good pace!

Once my silkies hatched their 4 peep clutch, I decided to begin storing eggs from the 4 standard size hens. I guess I can explain the urge since I'm getting a new rooster in the next few days-weeks and I wanted a chance to see offspring from my handsome Creamy Roo and the 4 hens he's been with. (I might also explain this urge as my being crazy as can be!)

Once I bring home "Coco Loco" (new roo) I plan to give him the 2 buff Orpington hens to live with since he is a gorgeous orange-gold color and is quite the handsome bird as well.

Betty hen decided to start sitting on the fake eggs I placed in the nest box. When I placed the fake eggs, I also gave them a new nest box in case of exactly what's just happened, that a hen is sitting in the one that had been used by all of the hens for laying eggs.
Yesterday I switched the fakes for the real eggs. I had 13 eggs that were laid in the one week prior to yesterday.
I had not yet gotten to creating a divider to give Betty half of the night pen.
This morning I was feeding and Betty got up for a short while so I counted eggs again. There were 15 eggs!

I hope that eggs laid within the 24 hours of giving her the 13 eggs are still within a safe time period to sit on together?Tomorrow first thing I have friends coming to help with the construction of the new dividing wire "wall".

I'd like to know what is the safe time span for eggs to be laid when the hen has started setting?
Is there a recommendation about the number of eggs that are enough vs too many?
Is there anything else I should take into consideration with this new scenario?

I hope the eggs do well. That said, if they do, I will have quite an increase in bird population! This would be the last time this season that I encourage a hen to go broody.
Still, I want to do the best job I can assisting the process.
Thanks to any and all who have suggestions to offer :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:54 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

She will handle 15 eggs but dont let her get any more. Mark all the eggs she is sitting on so that there is no confusion as to which egg. She really should be somewhere more private so that other hens cant lay and so that there isn't a chance of a nest box squabble.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:41 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

[quote="asuncion.rera"]

I hope the eggs do well. That said, if they do, I will have quite an increase in bird population! This would be the last time this season that I encourage a hen to go broody.

HAHA You 've got it bad :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:21 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I did go my best this afternoon in sectioning off the area Betty and her nest are in. I ran a 1/2 height chicken wire "fence" between Betty's half of the night pen and the others' half with the new nest box for the 3 hens in that area.
I trust I can still improve on this tomorrow with my friends' help.
The separating fence I made is a deterrent to the other hens and rooster instead of a firm barrier. That is what I will improve tomorrow.
I was also getting eaten by deer flies--to which I am severely allergic--all the while I was attempting the new barrier. That's why the project was so abbreviated...
I hope early in the morning will be better to complete it. On the other hand if the hens respect the barrier and begin laying in the new nest box, it may be enough of a barrier to serve the purpose.
Just as soon as I see them laying in the new nest box I WILL remove the fake eggs that I set there to encourage them to use that box...
Sue you're cracking me up while I crack you up!
Wouldn't it serve me right if another hen was sitting on those fake eggs tomorrow morning?
The thing is that even if that were to occur, there are no more stored eggs!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:21 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Another day, another drama!
After I'd created a 2/3 hih dividing "wall" and then saw the hens laying in the new nest on their side of the coop, I failed to mark the eggs, Mike, because I ass-u-med (like that old saying goes about assuming) that the other hens had themselves sorted out.
My bad! This morning I found Henrietta on Betty's side, got her back over and lifted Betty for an egg check: 16 eggs!
I looked to see if I could tell the newer one but I'm not sure. Also one egg was slightly dented.
The first thing I did was to reinforce the fence-wall and add another piece so it goes almost to the roof, then I hung a sheet from the top of the roof down to the round so as to give Betty more privacy and to further discourage the others from intruding. I moved the roost stick lower and I removed the nest box (wasn't being used anyway) from the higher position, which I suspect they were using as a jumping point.

I think I need to address each issue: if I remove one egg and it is not the new egg, wouldn't that leave us in the exact same dilemma? (BTW Betty is fully covering all the eggs)
My understanding is that once the majority of chicks hatch, the hen won't tend to the extra egg (even if it is just days away from full gestation) because she is tending to the chicks. Is that right?

The other issue is about the dented egg. I am not experienced enough to know when an egg is ok vs when I need to remove it. My understanding is that if an egg is faulty it could harm the rest of the embryos if it goes bad. Is that correct?

And...what do I do now?
What a steep learning curve!!
Thanks to you awesome people!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:11 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I'd remove the dented one. Some have success with repair (tape, nail polish, silicone etc) but unless they are particularly valuable it's better to remove it. Leave the last one if you can't identify it as there is only a day or so difference. The last one may even hatch before she gets off the nest. Sometimes the really fresh eggs which havn't chilled (been stored) hatch a little earlier than the others.
Or you try the Cleopatra trick, She is famous for hatching an egg in her cleavage. :hiding

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:26 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thank you Sue! That answer is what I've been tending toward but it feels better to have an expert's opinion to confirm. It would be my lucky day is the dented one is the same one as the last one...
I'm on my way up right now to remove that one.
This morning when I checked on everyone the barrier wall with sheet that I put up yesterday seems to be working. No one was in Betty's den area and there was a white egg in one of the new nests on the correct side!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:57 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi all again.
I have been lost to this forum since I last posted. I got a new laptop, which is great...but I couldn't located this site!
Now that I figured out the problem it seems crazy to tell what happened. In short I ended up on a site--a great one too- called back yard chickens.
I went around and around to the point of messaging the moderators trying to find my account! Just this evening I found out the issue. I was on a different site.

I guess everything happens for a reason. When I tell the rest of this (sad) story, it will be obvious that I was frantic. I think I really needed to just be quiet.

Betty, my lovely broody hen was attacked and killed by a predator in the night between 7-6 and the morning of 7-7. I found her nest unharmed but uncovered.
I had to place her at rest while scrambling to try and figure out what to do about the eggs!
I was unwilling to just give up on the eggs even though I knew they might be unviable already, depending on what time of night Betty was taken off the nest.
I called a friend who ha a very basic incubator and asked rthat he bring it over. I also realized that a 7 egg incubator with one fail in its history wasn't the best idea. I gave the remainder of the eggs to Mima, my silkie hen who had new chicks hatched.
While Mima didn't go broody she did attend to the eggs, even puffing up and clucking when I approached.
We've had temperatures close to 100 F so I think the eggs may have stayed at a decent temp in the days. She plus her 4 chicks sleep on them at night.
To make matters worse, the incubator shut off one night and wouldn't go back on. Mima got those eggs too.

When I tried candling yesterday I was not happy about what I saw. I cut a small circle in heavy cardboard, placed the eggs point down with the light underneath.
I saw dark where I'd expected the air pocket. This dark color moved as I turned the eggs or tilted them--as if the dark ccolor was not attacked to the shell.
I did see veins in several eggs. I saw a few tiny figures but not the size expected if they are close to 21 daays. Some eggs were too dark shelled to see into at all. None had any foul smell at all.

That's what's going on.
This Sunday will be 21 days.

Opinions? Advice? I'm lost here.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:43 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi asuncion.rera. It sounds like you have had some dramas. What a pity you lost Betty.
By your description of the candled eggs it sounds as if they have failed to proceed at various stages. At late stage development the blood vessels should not be visible on candling. The black mass may be a more developed chick but by now should be so large that it would not 'float' in the shell. Although your daytime temps and night time incubation might have been sufficient I think that the eggs have probably had too many stresses to be viable, especially as humidity would have probably not been adequate in the later stages. There are stories of success with people incubating with electric fry pans, heating pads, lights etc but I'm sceptical about just how successful this actually is.
You could try a float test to ensure that there is no possibility of any thing still having a chance.
Fill a bowl with comfortable hand (quite) warm water and put the eggs into this. Wait until they stop bobbing and watch for any sign of movement (jiggling). If you are unsure keep adding water to maintain warmth. If there is any sign of life the water will have raised the internal humidity (and the extra heat I think sometimes stimulates some action). Discard any thing which stays still. Not sure however what to do if there any hopefuls except maybe mima on them in a small dark box or another emergency incubator.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:17 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks, Sue. I am still broken up about Betty. It's probably why I'm being so stubborn about these eggs.
Tomorrow at noon is literally 21 days complete.
I'll think on the water test. I know it won't do any damage--beyond what is already done.
I'm just in a frozen mental state right now. I'm watching the logical side of me accepting this as part of the loss of Betty. Then there is a child--like, magic-thinking person in me that just wants to keep my eyes closed until I open them and see at least One little peep!
The only relief is that I'll know pretty soon.
Crazy as it seems, I have another 11 eggs stored, though truth be told I've missed the final shift to the proper side/inclination several nights.
Plus none of the hens in the standard size family seem to want to go broody.
Likely this is all just an active way to get out my sadness over Betty.
We still have a few hot months ahead. I've considered buying another hen or two who have broody tendencies.
On the other hand, by next spring, I'll have young adult silkies and young adult standard sizes of various/mixed breeds.
Time will tell.
I'll report back with the water test results and/or whatever happens tomorrow or monday...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:19 am 
Great Game
Great Game

It's terrible to lose a good bird and even worse when she is brooding, :upset: most of us at some point have felt a similar loss and its always gut wrenching. I hope some of the eggs hatch for you :pray .good luck.
Do you think it was a fox, do you have raccoons in florida.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:07 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Mima's chicks will be old enough to do without her when they are about 6 weeks old. If you put her back with the main flock it is very likely that she will go broody again before the Winter and you can give her another setting.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:12 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Mycoola, I do have wild fox here but I think it was a racoon. Months ago when I had a near break-in, my friend who had come over to help me reinforce the night time area pointed out the foot prints in the sand. I was so frantic I hadn't noticed them.
Racoons in north Florida are intense predators! AAnyone who keeps chickens or other farm animals generally also keeps a shotgun nearby.

The eggs--Betty's eggs--are 2 full days after their expected hatch date. I know I'm kind of loopy in leaving them in the nest this long...
I was hoping that hatching was delayed due to trauma.
I'm so sad about them...

Oddly Mima was never away from her usual "flock"...if a flock could be described as a pair of chickens. Mima was broody and I watched very closely how Muneco acted. He acted very "supportive" if that's even a way to describe a rooster's behavior.
When 4 silkie chicks hatched, I also watched carefully. He has never been out of their home house! It was never necessary!
It may be a good thing that I didn't read bad stories. I did read that some silkie dads can do fine around chicks...and that's what happened!
I will be removing the eggs that Betty started on. Mima has not laid eggs since her chicks hatched, but I probably confused her by putting the extra eggs in her nest.

In general, how long is "normal" for a hen to be off laying eggs after chicks hatch?
I think if I removed the eggs, and her peeps are 4 1/2 weeks old, she might start up again?

have a bunch of fake eggs in the standard size night pen. So far there are no volunteers.
It wold be wonderful if Mima decides to brood another batch!

That said...I have quite a different question:
Mima and Muneco are the happy couple. Of course I don't know the genders of the 4 peeps.
I want to avoid having sibling mate and also avoid having chicks breed to parents.
When is that going to be an issue?

Thanks all!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:14 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Are there any recognizable clues on sexing silkie chicks? Or just wait to see who crows and who lays an egg?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:31 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Good Morning ascuncion.rera. It sounds like the eggs are definately 'no go's'
We don't have raccoons here. Our main wide spread predators are foxes and roaming dogs - both are introduced predators. Some areas have dingos, goannas and quolls and pythons are a problem in the north. Tasmania has Tasmanian Devils
Mima will start laying again soon, generally at about 6 weeks, though this varies
Silkies are very hard to sex when they are young. Post some pics for guesses.
They will not be sexually mature until about 20 weeks then the main challenge will be the males challenging their dad (and more crowing).
It does not matter if the young mate with their parents. That is the way that it happens in the wild and there are advantages for the gene pool for this to happen. In domestic animals it is called line breeding and its practiced to manage specific traits
You might find this interesting
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8036035&hilit=new+chook+book
We tend to worry about it because of our human 'moral code' which has evolved for specific reasons. Royal families and the aristocracy (and other closed communities) have traditionally done so - often resulting in genetic problems. We have used our skills to enable these genes to be passed on where in the wild most would not survive to reproduce