Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - RCom King Suro question

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RCom King Suro question
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:45 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Can anyone describe to me how the humidity is maintained in this unit?

Is it dependant on water dripping down onto a sponge that is suspended under the fan/motor section?

If so, how do you raise or lower the humidity accurately?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:01 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

there is a small pump about the size of a pack of cards that pumps water onto the sponge the pump is controlled by the incubator typically it will use less than 100 ml of water per hatching. it would be about 3mm tube.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:05 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Humidity and temp are both digitally controlled

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:39 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I am familiar with the method of dripping water onto a very thin sponge in these units but have only used models where the water is added manually.
In these units the sponge dries out fairly quickly when water is added manually.

When it is digitally controlled I presume it doses fairly regularly so the sponge doesn't dry out??

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:45 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Tube runs from external water supply (I use bottle with hole drilled through lid - can run several bators off same bottle) through pump unit which is wired to incubator and controlled by humidity sensor. The pump can be operated manually for start up or to prime it but I've not found it necessary. The only problem that I have encountered is that at one stage the pump didn't work because the internal tube had flattened (after off season non use) Easy to trouble shoot and fix.
My Suros use very little water and maintains temp. and humidity accurately. The sponge always feels quite dry. I guess it just provides a source of moisture for sufficient ambient humidity to be maintained. Probably because the sponge (moisture source) is between the fan and he eggs rather than a puddle in the base of the incubator.

Rcon also make a similar digital pump unit with a humidity probe. I used one of these in an older manual incubator straight into the water channel but found that it needed to run almost constantly to maintain sufficient surface area of water due to the high evaporation rate from that style of incubator.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:27 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Yes that makes sense. I had an manual type, a hatcher really, and it was very difficult to maintain humidity which was why I steered clear of the King Suro.
Because of the difficulty in maintaining humidity it wasn't really good for hatching either.
Couldn't understand why many people really liked the King Suro but now I understand the digitally controlled pump etc. must be a much better system.
Must say though the Rcom 20 is really great....my only complaint is that I should have bought a bigger one!! :-D

Interesting to note the manufacturers recommend that you don't use the Rcom 20 to hatch chicks ie. not covered by warranty...but then they also contradict themselves and give instructions on how to hatch the eggs in the Rcom 20. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:58 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

From my experience living in Adelaide the sponge always seems dry.

As I said water use is in the order of 50 ml per hatch (about 2-3 ml per day).

This is with the vent wide open.

I tend to run the incubator full and there would be water loss from the eggs this could be in the order of 200 ml per hatch assuming 1.5 Kg of eggs and 13% weight loss.