Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - BELL SOUTH INCUBATER

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:51 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BELL SOUTH INCUBATER
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:51 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

i am helping out a friend. she has 2 Bell Souths which I am trying to get operational for her
The thermometer doesn't work on one so my question is : Can anyone suggest a inexpensive thermometer
What else can go wrong with these things and how do I tell if that part is broken TIA

Post subject: Re: BELL SOUTH INCUBATER
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:23 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

mrsmacka can you be a bit more specific about which Bellsouth Incubators you are working with please? (model or photo)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:56 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Sue55 They are the oblong foam 40 W I'd say they hold about 60 - 70 eggs at least

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:19 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

mrsmacka wrote:
i am helping out a friend. she has 2 Bell Souths which I am trying to get operational for her

The thermometer doesn't work on one so my question is : Can anyone suggest a inexpensive thermometer

What else can go wrong with these things and how do I tell if that part is broken TIA

You mean the thermostat doesn't work, thermostats control the temperature and thermometers read the temperature.

How do you tell if the thermostat is not working?
The thermostat controls the heating element.
It basically turns the heater on if the incubator is too cold
and turns the heater off it is too cold.

So if your thermostat is working what you would expect is:
When you first turn the incubator on it is cold inside the incubator and so the thermostat should turn on the heating element.
If it is working you should be able to feel the element get quite warm after a few minutes. There is a red light I think that tells you when the heating element is switched on.

After the incubator has been turned on for a while, 2 hours or more then it should have reached temperature and you should start to see the heating element turning on and off as it regulates the temperature.

If the heaters stay on indefinitely and it gets way too warm in the incubator, 45 degs plus even with the knob turned right down then the thermostat isn't working. It is stuck on.

So if the heater stays on for ever the thermostat isn't working. If the heater stays off for ever the thermostat isn't working.

If the red light comes on and the heating element doesn't then your heating element isn't working.

If you can describe exactly what the incubator is doing, using the other one for reference we should be able to find what is wrong.

Jumping well ahead of where you are at the moment, the thermostats in Bellsouths are pretty simple. One part of the thermostat that can fail is called a triac, it is responsible for switching the power off and on. You can buy one from Bellsouth and repair the thermostat but you need to know about electronics to replace it and be able to solder etc.
There is also a fuse in the thermostat that can blow.
"ALL THE PARTS IN THE BELLSOUTH ARE 240V SO IT CAN KILL YOU IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING"

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:06 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

If you have a Good thermometer you can place it in the incubator with the thermometers to be calibrated once things stabilize if the good thermometer is at 37.5 the others are ate 37.5 as well whatever they say so that is the reading for the correct temperature on that thermometer.

thermometers for measuring body temperature are usually accurate for 37 degrees and so could be used for egg incubation

if the thermostat needs replacing it is straightforward.

if the thermostat has red wire on the sensor it is 20+ years old.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:34 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks so much guys. I have a digital thermometer in one of them it is maintaining it's temp the other is too hot so obviously it's stuck I'll look into that

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:38 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Hi Mrs Macka;
If the thermostat is stuck on it is likely that the Triac has failed. It is a small component on the thermostat circuit board that is responsible for turning the heater on when the measuring parts of the circuit tell it to.
Bellsouth sell this individual part for <$10 last time I looked. It will need to be soldered onto the circuit board by someone familiar with Electronics to this level.

You should ring Bellsouth and talk to them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:10 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thank you I'll do that