Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - First Hatch and Help Please

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:14 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:46 am 

Hay,

We finally have some chickens hatching, one hatched last night and looks like another one or two on the way.
The one that hatched last night I left in the incubator but this morning it still looks wet (though its not, just not fluffed up) its still laying down on its side and has its eyes closed. Though it is chirping and kicking around.
Will it be ok, or should I move it to the brooder to help keep warm, I'm thinking the humidity may be to high in my incubator??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:15 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

It may be what's called a 'sticky chick' which basically just means that it's got egg white on it, which has dried. This can happen if not enough moisture has been lost from the egg during the incubation period, meaning there's excess sticky liquid in the egg that gets on the chick.

You may find that washing the chick in warm water is needed to get the substance off. But the chick sounds weak so I wouldn't try doing that yet. I'd just leave it in the incubator at this stage. They are only ready to come out when they're dry and also able to walk/run about. Do its legs look to be developed normally or are they are a funny angle (like sticking out to the sides)?

You can try giving it some soluble bird vitamins (in water) in an eye dropper, with a bit of glucose mixed in the water. Do you have bird vitamins available, or a pet or produce shop nearby?

At this stage don't worry about changing the humidity as it won't have any impact. But you could definitely review what you've had the humidity set at throughout the incubation period. And if you don't know how already learn how to candle an egg, learn what the air cell should look like as the incubation period progresses and next time monitor the eggs throughout to check that you've got to humidity right.

Hope you get a decent number of healthy chicks out of this hatch :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:18 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

This is an index of lots of threads on incubating: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7974870

When you have some time have a look through for articles on candling and getting the air cell size right.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:24 am 

Thank you for that.

The chicks legs look ok, though its not standing so cant say for sure. Its doing lots of moving arounfd with its legs and wings but just laying down and has its eyes closed :-?

Really hoping it will be ok.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:59 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

If it only hatched last night, it may be still getting co ordinated. Ocassionally the 'sticky' glues their wings or legs and makes movement difficult. I would check that and if necessary a warm wash, then put it back in the incubator to dry. The pipping noises from the other eggs will be comforting and it's own response will encourage hatching. It will eventually need to be washed as unless it can fluff up it will not temp. regulate very well. Give it some time. Make sure that it has a good, non slip surface in the brooder (not newspaper - slippery)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:31 pm 

Oh thankyou, I have just left her, just keep popping in to have a look but not opening it.

I have noticed the chick that had pipped a whole this morning has not progressed at all, and the chick that has hatched has been moving round so much shes kicked and cracked another whole on the egg with the chick that has pipped, :-}

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:36 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Helpful little chick :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:52 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

How did. All end up going?