Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Question about RCOM 20/50 fans

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 8:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:25 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I did have a quick look but can't quite see the answer to my question.

Both the 20 and 50 have three "sets" of fans - two sets on the back section, and one above the water reservoir.

In the 20, that's three fans in total - in the 50, it's (2 fans in each set in the long back area).

Question.

Should ALL these fans be operating at all times?

Reason to ask - in both my 20 and 50, the water reservoir fan doesn't run on its own. If I blow on it in the 20, it runs for a bit and then stops. In the 50, it doesn't even start.

We opened up the 20 first and saw it wasn't working, so have pulled it out and will get a replacement.

It does seem odd that both fans aren't working and I had a sudden nasty thought that maybe they're meant to operate intermittently, not constantly.

On the other hand and however, I had appalling hatches in both these otherwise extremely reliable brands last year, and it'd be nice to think that faulty fans were the main culprit :} - it's a cheap and easy fix.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:53 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Yes intermittently. The fan goes when the humidity is low to bring it back up. otherwise it is still. At least that is how my older model works

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:24 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Oh fudge. So I didn't need to pull it out??

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:08 am 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Well dunno really lol. But on mine it is intermittant!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:18 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

The humidity fan in my RCom 20 runs intermittently. It starts and stops frequently. The circulation fans run constantly.
If it is holding the set humidity the fan should be OK.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:00 am 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Phooey. I just confirmed with Bellsouth, too.

Oh well, at least we know it's been replaced and should work properly. So if I get rotten hatches AGAIN, we know some other factor is at work!

Might replace the 50's as well, just to be on the safe side ... we got some odd humidity errors last year so maybe it was playing up.

Just to note - I've cleaned and vacuumed all the fans. They can definitely get clugged with chick down and dander and stuff!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:53 am 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Yes I have noticed that too (the gunk in the fans). I clean them regularly now. Hope you get better hatch results.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:42 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I try to do an occasional complete fan clean but after each hatch I run the fan with the vaccuum nozzle next to it. This catches the dander as it flies of - and it shows just how much dander must otherwise be fanned back into the bator.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:15 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Right, so, while the humidity fans are definitely meant to be intermittent, mine were clearly more intermittent than they should have been.

Both Rcoms have had new fans installed and both were triggered by awareness of the imbalance between external humidity (about 25% inside the house) and the set humidity (45%) and came on. They definitely didn't do that last time.

An interesting thing I hadn't realised before - in the Rcom50, the "humidity" light comes on when the fan comes on. Handy to note.

Sue - a good notion. I might do that as a final complete clean before running test hatches through these.

I'm going to set on Friday (I'm away the weekend in three weeks' time, so no point setting for a hatch then!), and will run from Thursday to calibate temp and (if I can get a hygrometer in time) humidity.

Then to start running staggered hatches and (with any luck!) be myself staggered by 80%+ hatch rates :) :) *crossing everything*

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:42 am 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Fingers crossed for some great hatches!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:11 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi
I know this is off the topic but I have just bought an Rcom50 and while reading the instruction book I read that I should not hatch my chicks in it but rather buy a hatcher. I bought this incubator believing I could hatch the chicks inside before moving them to a brooder. Do you hatch your chicks inside the Rcom50 or do you have a separate hatcher. Thank you for any advice you can offer.
Ruth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:38 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

The reason you are advised against hatching in the Rcom is that the dander can interfere with the electronics. If you do hatch in it, and many people do, make sure that you clear out as much dander between hatches as possible. I turn on the fan on my Rcom Suro and use the hose on the vaccuum cleaner to catch the fines as they blow out - with a dismantle and vaccuum/wipe down of the working parts from time to time. If I am well enough organised I hatch successfully in my cheaper Janoel (JN8-48)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:43 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Ruthiest wrote:
Hi
I know this is off the topic but I have just bought an Rcom50 and while reading the instruction book I read that I should not hatch my chicks in it but rather buy a hatcher. I bought this incubator believing I could hatch the chicks inside before moving them to a brooder. Do you hatch your chicks inside the Rcom50 or do you have a separate hatcher. Thank you for any advice you can offer.
Ruth

You can hatch them in the incubator & move the directly to the brooder without having a hatcher.

A separate hatcher becomes useful if you are doing constant hatching & never have the incubator empty in order to clean it between incubating batches of eggs... having the separate hatcher keeps your incubator cleaner if you're doing that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:59 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Great. Thanks for your help.