Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Broody chickens

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 8:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Broody chickens
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:57 pm 

So I have 3 broody chooks, one has been sitting on eggs for about 5 weeks, the other 2 weeks, and not sure about the other as she was broody when I bought her. The first chickens eggs weren't fertile so I got rid of those and she stole the other chooks eggs which are due to hatch on 26/9. Now they have been collecting the other non broody chooks eggs for the last week, which I found out today are fertile too. So my question is what should I do with these new eggs? I can see they have started to develop, and I'm a bit concerned about letting the chooks sit for much longer as they only get off the nest once a day. I have an incubator I could put the eggs in but not sure how that would go having eggs developing at different stages. Obviously I'm new to keeping chickens, any advice would be great! Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Broody chickens
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:06 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

First thing to do is separate the broodies and decide if you want chicks or not. If not break them of of it. The broody - #1 on the eggs due to hatch will be OK for a few days so long as her body condition is good.Try to make sure that she gets off to eat.
I would then set the other broodies on nests on golf balls or fake eggs - housed separately and away from your laying hens. Make sure that they get off the nest to poop and eat at least once every couple of days. Put the eggs in the incubator and when the first hatchlings are 24 hours old give them to broody #2. You can continue to put more chicks under her for about 3 days. Best done at dusk and then check that chicks are settled under her when it is dark. Then if you still have more hatching start on broody #3. Of course the management of this will depend on how many potential chicks you have.
You will need to set up suitable nursery pens for the hens and chicks as they will need to be raised away from any other adults until they are about 20 weeks. Once they are 6-8 weeks and on grower feed the chicks can all go in together and the hens back to the flock.
You will have to make some guesses with your incubator about when lockdown starts but that is not too critical so long as your humidity is about 45% until you hear noises.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:16 pm 

I've got the incubator warming up and will set up three separate pens for the broody chooks in their yard. Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:17 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Good Luck and welcome to the forum.
Keep us posted re progress/success. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:54 pm 

Well after trying to separate the girls and their eggs this evening they're back in their house together with their eggs. I set up 3 nice pens for them but they wouldn't sit on their eggs and were trying to get back to each other the poor things. Maybe I should have waited till it was dark? Anyway the best I could do was put them in separate nesting boxes in their house and clearly mark all the eggs so I know whats what. I'll keep the incubator on just in case some hatch and the others get abandoned, fingers crossed it will all work out!