Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Hovabator question

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hovabator question
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:17 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I just dug out my old still air Hova Bator.( And discovered that at some time I had fitted it with an RCOM auto pump and heat controller).
Anyway, thought that I could use it as a back up hatcher/initial brooder so I can use the Janoel as an incubator. Suro's are full (30 in the 20's)
Question - how much turn should the wafer key have? Mine seems to have only a couple of mm. Is it stuck? Should I try some WD40 or is that all it should move?
Where are all the broodies when I need them? Even the Silkies are not co operating!

Post subject: Re: Hovabator question
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:44 pm 

I'm not sure about the Hovabator question, I use a digital incubator where you just set the temperature. I would think it should turn more, but I'm not sure. What's the temperature its at? Perhaps it only changes a few degrees because that's all the chicks need?

There are a few things you could do to try and encourage broody hens! Try making secret nests or darkening the nest boxes. Place three or four fake eggs in a nest box, so they think they have a clutch. Make sure there are enough nest boxes for all the hens and that they are clean with enough of their preferred nest-box bedding. Roosters aren't necessary, but they can help encourage a hen to go broody. The time of year, temperature, and seemingly the dry/wet season changes can affect a broody hen as well.

Hope this helps. Best of luck! : )

Post subject: Re: Hovabator question
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:39 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thanks GitaBooks I wanted to use the Hovabator as a back up to my digitals which are not keeping up with demand at the moment - trying to get all the hatching over and done quickly this season. I have only struggled with broodies since I converted to Roll Away nest boxes. The broodies don't seem to like going from nothing to bedding.
I suspect that there is more wrong with the Hovabator than just the wafer as it is not heating at all - past it's 'use by date' :bigrin