Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Medicated chick feed?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 12:16 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Medicated chick feed?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:58 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

It seems some people are not keen on using medicated chick feed?

is there a reason for this that concerns the welfare of the chicks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:28 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

No it's not about actual welfare of the chicks as they're much healthier in most instances when fed medicated feed. Coccidiosis is a nasty thing and difficult to avoid. Avoidance is all about humans wanting to avoid 'chemicals'.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:07 am 

There are also some chick and Pullet feeds that use a more natural product to aid against cocci. The feeds I use do not use a commercial medication but rather a product that comes from oregano oil.

If layers eat feed containing a commercial medication, their eggs should not be eaten as there is a two week withholding period on egg consumption once the layers stop eating the commercially medicated feed. With the feed I use there is no withholding period and no evidence to show a resistance to its use as an aid against cocci.

Totally agree that the welfare of the chicks must come first and I would never feed a chick feed without some form of cocci medication natural or commercial, I just prefer to use a more natural way of doing it and there are other ways rather than a commercial medication and good hygiene with our babies.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:02 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I am quite happy to use medicated feed and believe it is in the chicks best interests.

Having said that, I have had bad cocci outbreaks while chicks were on medicated feed, requiring additional stronger meds to be used; and under the same circumstances on a different occasion used non-medicated feed with no cocci outbreaks or issues.

There is nothing more demoralising than to have your chicks or growers start to drop dead or suffer major setbacks from cocci outbreaks. If I recall correctly, the worst cocci outbreaks I've had occurred while using medicated feed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:48 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

My understanding is that medicated feed won't fully protect a chick if there is a significant coccidiosis challenge however it does give some protection while the chick is building a natural resistance (which needs some exposure in order to develop). Outbreaks whether on medicated or unmedicated feed are more likely to occur before that resistance is sufficiently strong enough to protect. As with all things, chicks which are stressed or otherwise less than healthy and well fed are the most vulnerable.