Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Chicks with runny nose?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chicks with runny nose?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:27 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I've currently got six 4.5 week old Pekin Bantam chicks and two 3 week old Araucana chicks in the brooder at the moment. I was just watching them and checking them over, and I noticed a couple of the Pekins have the *tiniest* amount of moisture coming out of their noses.

It's not enough to run, just a tiny, tiny bit sitting in the crevice on their nostrils, and when I touched it with my finger, I could see it shine on my fingertip. I maybe, maybe heard one sneeze, but I'm not sure if I am imagining it. Listening with their chests to my ear, I'm not sure if there is a crackle or not, as I've not listened to any to compare it to. In every other way they seem to be normal chicks.

I've not dealt with any illness in my flock yet, so I'm not sure if I'm just being overly paranoid, or if it's the early stages of something that I should get on top of now. If it's something like a Mycoplasma infection, given they are so young, I'd imagine it would progress pretty quickly? As I'd imagine most of the other illnesses would in chicks?

Do you think I should give them a round of antibiotics from the vet just to be sure (Baytril? Tylan? Something else?), or just watch and wait?

I'm leaning towards trying to get on top of it early, but I don't want to give strong antibiotics for no reason (given their long running issue with overuse and subsequent ineffectiveness).

I'm hopefully just making a mountain out of a mole-hill, but I don't want anything to happen to mah little fluffies! Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. :) :clnava

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:46 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Few questions: What kind of bedding are they on now? How much space for the 6 chicks? What are you feeding them? Are they alert and lively? Any breathing with their beaks open?

Could be a respiratory issue. These things can be viral or bacterial. If viral then antibiotics won't give a benefit (as you'd already know). You could take a couple to the vet for a consult to be on the safe side. That'd be the ideal thing to do. You sound worried and in those circumstances it can be reassuring to put your animals under the care of a vet.

The cheaper option is just to make sure they have clean water and bedding, enough space per chick, a dust-free environment, appropriate food and enough warmth. Some avian vitamins in their water would be a good idea. If it's a minor respiratory issue healthy birds can often manage to overcome it themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:07 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Brooder isn't huge as they are in the laundry at the moment, about 1.5m2 give or take. Getting to the point where they need to move out of it, which I am now hesitant to do if they are getting sick. They are on Proteq bedding, and Turkey and Meat Chick starter (medicated). They seem alert, lively, curious, all as you'd expect.

Clean water every day (messy little blighters they are), the only difference with the water than previous chicks I've raised is I would have them on nipple waterers by now, but all of my waterers are in use elsewhere (actually, now I type that, there might be a spare in the shed *note to self - check!).

I'd go to the vet but I've heard a few stories that my local vet isn't good with birds, however you know the nature of rumour and small town gossip. I'll give her a call tomorrow and see if I can have a chat with her to get a feel for her knowledge and confidence levels with birds and decide from there. Not sure of any avian vets around Central Vic, every time I've looked I've not come up with anyone, although admittedly I've not done an in-depth search.

Avian vitamins, that's what I keep forgetting to buy to make sure I've got on hand. I'll pick some up tomorrow. I did use some nutrigel in water for a weak chick last year, but I've never gotten around to get some avian specific vitamins for the first aid box. Another note to self, lol.

I'm mainly worried that I've got something to worry about, I might just be overreacting but I don't want to ignore it and have it get worse. But then again, if it's viral there's not much I can do anyway, other than the vitamins and hope for the best. I know all about that at the moment, I've just had a months long case of viral bronchitis, then a cold, while I still have the remnant cough from the bronchitis, and what's looking like another virus popping up today just for fun, lol. :aaargh:

Ok, plan of attack. Avian vitamins + wait and watch, or avian vitamins + antibiotics from the vet? Decisions decisions!

Thanks for the help! :th

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:20 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I would go down the TLC and vitamins track unless there is any change in their condition. Keep an eye on them but don't get caught out needing a vet over the weekend. I sometimes see runny noses - until I realize that they are just wet noses.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:43 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Sounds like a plan. Any of the common avian vitamins should be fine, yeah? Soluvet, Solvita, etc? Not sure what the local store will have, but my husband works out of town so shouldn't be a problem if they have nothing.

If I can wrangle some antibiotics from the vet without a visit (just to have on hand if things get worse), but don't end up needing them, they should keep a while if stored correctly, right?

Being prepared to the point of obsession?! Hah, I'm worse with the chickens and dog/cat than I am with my humans, lol. :rofl:

Thanks so much guys! :th

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:11 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

A quick update. It appears either I was worrying for nothing or the vitamins did the trick, because nothing eventuated. And now here's hoping that it doesn't now that I've said that, lol.

Thanks again for the help folks. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:30 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

That's great :) Sounds like it was minor and they were robust enough to shake it off.