Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Pullets and eggs - help please!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:57 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hello!

I have 3 young pullets and they are my first lot of hens. I am loving having them and one has been very diligent laying an egg daily for us since the day after we brought her home :shock: !!

Another of my hens' comb is beginning to turn red now and I think she'll start laying soon, however my other RIR pullet who looks bright red in her comb (and similar age to my laying Australorp) I believe has started laying soft eggs. I give calcium supplements to the chooks but I keep finding a soft shell (with no yolk) on the floor of the run every two days. Yesterday I found the fourth soft egg and am wondering if this is something I should be concerned about?

Hens are all on layer pellet and fed food scraps every day as well as free ranging daily (I also crush up and give back their egg shells). They are all on the same diet and I have no issues with my other hen (extremely solid eggs increasing in size by day)! Is this just a time thing or should I be worried?

Thanks in advance :). Also - here's a photo of my and my hens just to show you size etc of my RIR.

- Monica (aka - the rookie).

Attachments:
16177661_10154991283414066_2542527719432941537_o.jpg
16177661_10154991283414066_2542527719432941537_o.jpg [ 163.25 KiB | Viewed 640 times ]

Post subject: Re: Pullet Eggs.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:13 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi Monica, great to hear that you are enjoying your chooks.
Soft shelled and yolkless eggs sometimes happen when a hen first commences laying and is likely to 'correct itself' as her system settles into full laying mode.
Be vigilant in removing these eggs ASAP rather than risking them breaking and an egg eating habit from establishing itself.
You are doing the right things re diet and calcium supplements. If she were an older hen, soft shells would indicate a decline in reproductive and general health. Hopefully this will resolve as she matures a little more.

Post subject: Re: Pullet Eggs.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:17 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

sue55 wrote:
Hi Monica, great to hear that you are enjoying your chooks.
Soft shelled and yolkless eggs sometimes happen when a hen first commences laying and is likely to 'correct itself' as her system settles into full laying mode. Be vigilant in removing these eggs ASAP rather than risking them breaking and an egg eating habit from establishing itself. You are doing the right things re diet and calcium supplements. If she were an older hen, soft shells would indicate a decline in reproductive and general health. Hopefully this will resolve as she matures a little more.

Oh thank you so much. I thought it could have been a concern considering I have seen a few now and they don't seem to be hardening at all, but hoping it just means that I need to be patient. I try to take the eggs out quickly - however I never have any issues with my other hens egg when we leave that in the coop and collect it when we come home from work in the afternoon. So I am wondering if it is more that the soft egg is getting squished because the pullet is laying in the run? I hope this is the case! Thank you again. Maybe time will tell...

- Monica