Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - JANOEL–JN8-48 (2011) 48 EGG INCUBATOR WITH AUTOMATIC TURNER

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:52 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:33 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

:help: My husband bought me a Janoel 48 egg Incubator with automatic turner from eBay. We tried it for the first time and could not understand the instructions.
We put 30 eggs in and only got 4 healthy hatches. Some of the other chicks were stuck in their shells.
We can not understand how to operate/adjust the humidity button or how to operate/adjust the temperature button. The water channels were hard to see so we have now painted them so it is easier to view. We are thinking of adding two tubes from the outside of the unit leading in to the water channels so that we can add water without lifting the lid of the unit. What do you think of this idea?
Does anyone have simple instructions for the JANOEL – JN8-48 (2011) 48 egg incubator with automatic egg turner that we can follow?
I am currently in remission from Leukaemia (AML) and my husband thought I would keep busy and have pleasure from watching the process of hatching while I am well enough.

I am keen to try again but hope to find advice for DUMMIES like me that I can follow step by step.

Hope someone out there can advise.

:hmmm: :help:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:54 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

This was a post from another thread perhaps it may be wise to talk to Tony on this matter.

I recently bought an incubator (different brand) and although I could get them for less than half online I chose to buy using an Aussie retailer. That way I knew I could get the backup I need when I need it.

TonyD wrote:
:To all you guys that are having trouble with the Janoel JN8-48 Incubator can contact me at anytime as I am happy to help. We have all spare parts available for these incubators & we do repair them if needed. 0408 062496 or email me. They are a very easy incubator to use, it's just that some of you are a bit confused on understanding this great little machine. Some of you may have a COPY of the Janoel & may have a lemon. My hatch rate is around 95%. Regards Tony.
:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:19 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi the instructions are rubbish aren't they!!
How did your hatch go?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:38 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi. Can somebody help me with the humidity control on my new Jn8-48. It is sitting at a perfect temp of 38 degrees but humidity is on 43 per cent and i have no idea what to do to change this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:59 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Dont change it - you have humidity. The absolute value is just simply not that important - its really not. Just keep the water trays with water in them.

It will be fine - others have very good hatches with this incubator with the same sort of humidity values.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:15 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks so much. What is the lowest level I should get before I start to worry.At one stage it dropped to 24 but the temp is still stable.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:54 am 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Again - dont get yourself into a tangle over the values of humidity. As long as you have water in the trays and a stable temperature then you will have humidity. It will be enough.

There is a couple of ways you can subjectively test for the humidity. An egg in an incubator must lose 14% percent of its moisture content over the period of the incubation. You can monitor this in two ways. Firstly by candling a couple of selected developing eggs and monitoring not only the development but the increasing size of the airspace. Its a fourteen percent loss.

The second way is to accurately weigh these same selected eggs and chart the weight loss.

Thirdly - you can use a mist bottle and gently mist one or two eggs. and watch the what happens to the droplets of water on the egg shells. This does take experience to judge correctly and i dont tell a lot of people because I dont want to seem to be advising people to swamp their eggs and drown the developing chickens. However, if the humidity is about right, then the droplets of water will remain on the egg shell for a while - 15 maybe 30 seconds. If the humidity is too low the the droplets are almost instantly drawn through the shell into the egg. These were the ways it was judged back in the days before the advent of the (dubious) electronic hydrometers.

I dont bother to measure humidity now - I just dont - if you have the right temperature and oyou have water in the trays and you dont constantly open the incubator then you have enough humidity.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:54 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks for your your help Mike. It's great to get some help with this

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:55 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

The JN8-48 has a humidity reading & alarms only.
I'm no expert I'm only on my 2nd hatch with the jn8-48.
The humidity you get depends on the surface area of the water (not depth) of the water you Put in the bottom. 1 channel gives you about 40, 2 channels high50-60% and the whole bottom tray outside thechannels about 75-80% (for lockdown) but I make sure that if I put a chux over the grid (for lil peep feet) that I leave a section open(about a 1/8 of thebator floor) or the cloth keeps the humidity in the 50's.
Hope that helps :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:26 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

chookyinoz wrote:
Again - dont get yourself into a tangle over the values of humidity. As long as you have water in the trays and a stable temperature then you will have humidity. It will be enough.

There is a couple of ways you can subjectively test for the humidity. An egg in an incubator must lose 14% percent of its moisture content over the period of the incubation. You can monitor this in two ways. Firstly by candling a couple of selected developing eggs and monitoring not only the development but the increasing size of the airspace. Its a fourteen percent loss.

The second way is to accurately weigh these same selected eggs and chart the weight loss.

Thirdly - you can use a mist bottle and gently mist one or two eggs. and watch the what happens to the droplets of water on the egg shells. This does take experience to judge correctly and i dont tell a lot of people because I dont want to seem to be advising people to swamp their eggs and drown the developing chickens. However, if the humidity is about right, then the droplets of water will remain on the egg shell for a while - 15 maybe 30 seconds. If the humidity is too low the the droplets are almost instantly drawn through the shell into the egg. These were the ways it was judged back in the days before the advent of the (dubious) electronic hydrometers.

I dont bother to measure humidity now - I just dont - if you have the right temperature and oyou have water in the trays and you dont constantly open the incubator then you have enough humidity.

Mike

Hello Mike

Well here I am back on line. I am not sure how to use this on line forum thing. I typed a whole lot and tried to put it in for help but I don't know how to navigate this - I am no computer wiz! Sooo, here I am trying to reply to you - just to get my post in. Sorry.... :oops:

The first time I tried my Janoel -JN8-48 (2011) 48 egg incubator the results were dismal.
I am now almost two years in remission from Acute Myeloid Leukaemia and health is good at present. I have decided to have another go at incubating chicken eggs and you advice along with any other will be most welcome.

I have put tubes into the uncubator so that I will not have to lift the lid and I can syringe water into the chanels via these tubes.
On 06-12-12 I put 20 eggs into the unit placing them every second holder with the pointy end down.
The temp was 38.1 and humidity 53.
This morning at 8.00am the unit temp was 38.2 and humidity 51 so I syringed 250ml of warm water into the unit and this brought the humidity up to 55.
The instruction with the unit says 1-6 day temp should be 36.8 and humidity 55-60, so it appears I already have a problem as my tempt is too high.

Can you let me know if I am on the righ track? Will appreciate any advice you may have.
Will you mind if I continue queries and concerns during this 21-25 day incubating process? I would love to get it right and it is nice to have this forum to turn to... :help:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:45 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Firstly, congratulations on almost two years remission, that is wonderful! :woot:
Nice idea of your husband to get you something as an enjoyable hobby to keep your mind on :-)
This is a hard incubator to get right, but once you figure out its ways, it does alright.
Rubbish instructions for sure.
I got a digital hygrometer off the internet to help get mine sorted, its worth doing, cos the temp can be off a bit, mine was off by about two degrees, you'll need to calibrate it correctly.
I've pulled the little mesh circle out of the airhole at the rear so I can feed the temperature probe down into the incubator. Then you make sure it is sitting at the same height as the inbuilt temp probe.
Then once you get an accurate reading of the temp from your external hygrometer or thermometer you adjust the temp on the incubator.
To do this:
First take note of the exact temp reading the incubator is currently reading.
Push SET for 3 secs to enter the menu, then use the plus or minus button til you get to the code saying 'CA', this is to calibrate temp.
Press SET again (just a short press this time) to enter calibration setting.
Add or minus points of a degree to equal the reading from your external thermometer.
If you leave it, it will exit the menu screen on its own then and should change the internal temp until it will be now reading the same as the external thermometer.
I leave mine on 37.5 degrees from start to finish with good result.
Also, don't worry about opening it to fill the water channels, the hen would get off the nest everyday for a forage anyhow, it doesn't hurt them.
Pour water into the smaller sized channel only, every few days or when the humidity drops enough to set off the humidity alarm.
Pour water into both channels for the last few days of lockdown and don't open it anymore.
I hope your hatch goes well, good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:23 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

So great to hear from you. Will share with my hubby and see if we can follow your advice and get a digital hygrometer .
I have fiddled with the temp a little today to get it to 37ish. The humidity went up to 60-61 so I lifted the lid a little to lower it - but just for a few sec's. Hope I have not messed things up already. I know not to open the lid too much.
Thank you so very much for your reply.

Kind regards

Leonie

Admin edit to remove unnecessary quote.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:14 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

:bg Hi Mike

I write on a happy note with much appreciation for your wonderful advice.

We did a test incubation of 20 eggs collected over a 5 day period from our own mottly cast of chooks that are part of our little hobby farm family.

8 Hatched out. One died in the incubator shortly after hatching. One died after two days while in the large, warm box with the others without explaination. We broke all the other eggs to find that ten we still yolks so not fertile and two had dead chicks in them. While we greived over the ones that dies, we also delighted over the six that are our survivors. So cute and doing well.

We have purchased a little temp gauge that we will use as you suggested via the air hole at the top of the incubator so that we can ensure accurate temp control. We have also purchased a room temp gauge so that we can monitor conditions outside the inclubator.

Thank you for your guidance - so valuable!

Regards

Leonie :shut!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:58 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Just to let you know I had the same incubator. Dont take much notice of the readings on the screen as they appear to be quite different on the inside. From what I remember slightly higher on the screen is better as the inside is cooler anyway. Also had a better hatch hand turning the eggs, a lot less dead in shells I cant check mine as the whole power connecting fell apart on the third hatch, and I also noticed there was no earth wire, which could be a problem.
Ive since bought an Rcom 20 with great results so far.

I too was parinoid about exact temp and humidity, but they seem to hatch if you keep them within reason of the guide lines. Try not to stress too much.

Sue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:42 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Just as a reference, there is a usermade guide to using this model of incubator available in the download vault here: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=8019752