Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Fertility

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fertility
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:22 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi was just wondering if you can put pullet eggs under a broody hen or in incubator,or when is a chook at its peak of fertility and best age to use fertile eggs ,thanks for any info

Post subject: Re: Fertility
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:33 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi Marlin - several questions here
1 - the male. Generally fertility is considered to be best with a younger bird (maybe within the first 2 seasons). After that it may drop off but as there will still be multiple matings you may not notice a significant difference.
2 - yes you can set and expect to hatch from pullet eggs.
3 - Early pullet eggs are generally small. They get larger as the season progresses. Smaller eggs tend to have thicker shells and there is less room for a hatching chick to turn so this may lower hatch rate.
4 - Breeding for resistance - older hens are more likely to have had and survived disease challenges and may be more likely to pass on resistance to some diseases.
5 - peak fertility for females - probably early Spring but hatch rates should be good so long as mating is occurring and every thing else is 'up to scratch'. Parental health and an excellent breeder diet are probably the most important things affecting hatchability of fertile eggs'.

Break a sample of eggs and look for the Bulls eye. If it appears in most/all of the eggs they are fertile.

Post subject: Re: Fertility
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:03 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks sue,fantastic answer and much appreciated, I now have a much better idea
I found some really nice australop pullets (7) last week and there just starting to lay,there eggs are only smal atm,my father inlaw gave me 3 silkies so I'm expecting them to go broody soon and I was going to set some eggs under them
I pick up a rooster on Monday so hopefully he knows what to do,his over 12 months old so he should be on the job straight away,thanks again sue