Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - what now?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:42 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what now?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:21 pm 

This is my first try at incubating chicken eggs. Best I can tell everything has gone as planned. According to my calculations, the eggs have been in the incubator 20 days at 6:00 PM Saturdy August 5, 2017, today. At 4:00 AM this morning when I checked the temp and humidity there was a chick. (I near bout had a runaway.) It hatched on day 19.
My questions are, 1] How long can it remain in the incubator and go without food or water while waiting on any others to hatch? 2] How long should I wait for the others to hatch?

Thanks fer any help.
Mule

Post subject: Re: what now?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:09 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Congratulations.

1. The new baby will be OK for about 24 hours. It will be drawing on nutrient reserves from the yolk sac. Its bumbling about in the incubator may encourage its hatchmates to emerge. Sounds as if it is strong & healthy!

2. In general, most of the hatch is expected within about a 2 day period. Depending on many variables including patchiness in temperature within the incubator it may take a bit longer with day 24 about the limit. Expect pipping of other eggs from now on. As little disturbance as possible, ie hands off the incubator, for this time is a good idea. Occupy yourself with making sure you have a brooder of sorts, warm and ready with chick starter and suitable water container, for the next stage. Enjoy! :-)