Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Rcom Suro Eco Hatcher

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:03 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rcom Suro Eco Hatcher
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:53 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Has anyone used these hatchers?

Just wanting to know about setup - especially humidity, to get the right % and keep it there while hatching is in progress.
I know that it will be trial and error but dont want to lose any of this next batch of eggs.

Any feedback welcome on what to lookout for and how they perform.

Thanks peterock

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:20 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Hi Pete
I haven't used one of these hatchers but I did have a King Suro incubator which looks much the same as the hatcher.
Rcom are pretty reliable and good products so I don't think you can go wrong.

Do you have to top up with water via the port every 6 hours? Means you would have to co ordinate hatching with days you will be at home.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:31 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Humidity will go all over the place once the first chick pips... which is completely normal.

Average humidity throughout the rest of the incubation (prior to first pipped egg) is more important. Different people have different 'ideal' humidity they'll use, and some will increase it at the last few days whereas others (like me) won't bother. I have my King Suro at about 55% humidity throughout, whilst ignoring fluctuations at the end... as it can spike to over 75% once hatching starts due to all those wet little bodies getting out of eggs.

The moment you hear the first cheeps, cover up the humidity reading if you think you may get obsessed by it... you simply can't keep it "level" whilst hatching takes place.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:45 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

i have the king suro(ks) hatcher and i am wrapt; for 1 it can take the base straight from either of our 2 ks incubators slip out the egg dividers and lay the eggs down and the little guys don't have to be rattled from 1 thing to another for hatch or since i jam them in tight as i remove 7 or 8 chicks & shells quickly then the rest of the eggs lie down.

it doesn't have a digital readout of the temp or humidity but when i calibrated the temperature it was right. i have a basic(cheap) humidity thingy and i do 2 mls of water in the morning before leaving for work & i ring when my first kid gets home from school and get him to do 1ml then. i do 1ml again when i get home and before bed which gives some humidity until someone chips a hole and then there is plenty of humidity.

bonus is i can load the hatcher base and slamdunk it back on to go again without even turning the incubator off or having to clean the fuzz and chick ick out of it.

please note: i am in no way affiliated with Bellsouth.
i am a happy customer that has paid the same amount as anyone else and has gotten service and product that i am happy with numerous times. :)

edit: spelling oopsey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:50 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks for the replies, the only trouble so far is the humidity. I am injecting 10-15 ml of water over the humidity pad at night but it is completely dry in the morning with the hygrometer reading less than 30%, seems to dry very rapidly.

I worry that there will be too many ups and downs trying to keep humidity stable in these the last critical days of incubation.

I cant believe that you would only add 1 ml to keep it there, are you living in a tropical area Grabby?

peterock

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:03 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

nope, middle of victoria. quick check of the needley thing & whoopsey. i add 10mls in the morning then 5mls other times mentioned, sorry it was middle of the night & gee that is a big plungey thing.

i have actually had an alright hatch with no humidity added as i had not written down when due. it went well and i relaxed over humidity for chicks / keets but would not around ducklings.

the only thing with the hatcher on my first run i did quite a lot of water in and the shell base of it had a lot of water in it when i moved it after hatch. best not to sit it on priceless antiques. boy was i lucky with that. :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:07 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

i have been thinking about humidity and i have talked about those thoughts in here.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8027843

i too have been pondering humidity; the same kind of thoughts you have been having in regard to hatching.
i would be interested to hear how your hatch is progressing peterock.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:10 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Eggs are in lockdown, due tomorrow, Decided to leave them in the incubator and have a play with the hatcher to sort out fine tuning without risking these eggs.
Need to find the hatchers happy point regarding how much water how often to keep the humidity stable, then with confidence give it a shot next time.
Some eggs in this batch are my first posted eggs with only 5 from 18 still surviving, mind you 10 were broken in transit. Everything is crossed!!!
peterock

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:09 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

in an incubator that you know for the precious 5 survivors is good and you won't get an ulcer while you wait.
i hope they do as they should and all make it out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:30 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Just a thought... have you soaked & squeezed out (gently) the humidity pad in the hatcher before putting it back in there?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:09 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

One out of five survived, another 2 dead in shell without pipping and the 2 others died before day 18, seems a good Aust Post shakeup does wonders for success!!!
Still one is better than none, home eggs in at the same time delivered 6 out of 10(4DIS) and same vintage eggs under broody 6 out of 7 (one that failed died around day 18)

To add something on the light side, leg ringed the 1 special chick - put into brooder with the others (all Plymouth Rock) and in the morning there's the leg ring on the floor, not on the chick!

Powers of deduction as it was last out hatched with cockerel headspot and bright legs has the leg ring on again, just a bit smaller. Arrr the FUN

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:20 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

What a bugger peterock, 1 out of 5! I've had a few similar issues with a few I've tried to hatch. This is my first season trying to hatch, Could you please tell me the difference of dead in shell and dying around day 18? I'm trying to figure out what went wrong with mine. Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:00 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Rockett,

dead in shell - fully formed with complete yolk absorption but failed to pip through internal membrane.

Dead day 18 - just look at one of those chick incubation progression charts, chick with still plenty of room inside shell, yolk not absorbed into abdomen.

peterock

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:19 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks peterock, that makes a lot of sense!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:53 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

peterock wrote:
One out of five survived, another 2 dead in shell without pipping and the 2 others died before day 18, seems a good Aust Post shakeup does wonders for success!!
Still one is better than none, home eggs in at the same time delivered 6 out of 10(4DIS) and same vintage eggs under broody 6 out of 7 (one that failed died around day 18).

oh peterock only 1 out of all your precious bought eggs; bugger.
sorry, i forgot to mark your thread so i could easily check in on the hatch of the 5 eggs.
i hope your wee survivor is zooming around the brooder?

one thing about the header of RCom Suro Hatcher and humidity - i don't think it would have had any worse a result even dry as i last night hatched(helped) a guinea keet out of eggs(foam incubator) in my thread mentioned earlier here that i candled as it was bin day and nothing hatched since a week ago. no humidity except for room amount and i nearly fainted there was a little beak opening & closing.