Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - momma duck

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:28 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: momma duck
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:34 am 

This morning i found one of my ducks under a bush sitting on about 7-8 eggs - not sure because I didn't want to disturb her too much. (see video link attached).
I have turkeys, chickens and ducks and I have seen the turkey on the duck, I have seen the duck on a hen, I have seen a chicken on a duck. So there is no telling what these eggs will produce.

How long is the hatching period for ducks?
My other question, she is out in the open under a small bush. Should I move her into a nest where she can have privacy? Or, I have a dog-igloo I can just set on top of her existing nest to protect her from rain. Or should I just leave her as it is?
Any advice?
www.facebook.com/ana.lazarwhitfield/vid ... 335409793/

Post subject: Re: momma duck
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:33 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Tried to view your video when logged into Facebook but this was all I saw:

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 11.04.56 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-14 at 11.04.56 pm.png [ 29.17 KiB | Viewed 265 times ]

Approximately 28 days for incubation of mallard-derived ducks. For Muscovy, closer to 35 days. I think of as 4 or 5 weeks rather than in days.

Dog igloos make good nesting sites. In my Avatar my young Muscovy is standing on one which I used for nests. Leave the bottom off and put it over her rather than try to move the nest. You may also put some loose nesting material for her to incorporate into her nest.

Can the chickens or turkey hens also lay where your duck has chosen to sit? Do they still have access to the area? Might be wise to mark the eggs in the nest if there is a chance that others can be added. Candle at about 10 days after she started sitting. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:52 pm 

Thank you for the reply. I bought an oil-pan from AutoZone and I put pine straw and her eggs in it (I drilled several holes in the bottom so it won't hold water in case it does get wet).
I did not use the dog igloo, instead I bent a sheet of metal roofing over the bush where she decided to nest. She seems pretty happy so I am just going to make sure she has food and water and I will leave her alone for 4-5 weeks. (the other birds do not lay eggs there, they lay eggs inside their coup in nesting boxes).
I am however concerned about feeding the babies since I don't have a way of separating them from the other birds and I am pretty sure the other birds will want to eat their food.
I may think of a place to move them between now and then.

Thank you again for your advice and if you can think of anything else let me know.

And here is a better link on how you can view the initial video
https://youtu.be/JgxXTAeKL6Q

Attachments:
Duck nest.jpg
Duck nest.jpg [ 88.59 KiB | Viewed 245 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:49 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Can you put up a temporary fence around the nest area with a few stakes and some mesh or netting? It'd be best if you can keep the other birds from getting to the ducklings and can also provide them with shallow waterers that they can't drown in. The green and white bell shaped waterers are good.