Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Started incubation clutchs

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:20 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:16 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Has anyone else started breeding yet, first clutch was low fertility, only hatched 2 splash and 1 blue silkie, and 2 bantam wyandottes one is split eb/ ewh and the other is either ewh or white?.
Next clutch is in bator now , so far more promising fertility, early days yet, day 4 in bator. Looks like some from pen A blr bantam wyandottes are fertile, from eb blr cockerel over eb blr.hen. Hope to hatch quite a few blr eb chicks this season, will get splits too, nature of the beast until i get plenty of eb to chose from.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:37 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I've hatched a few from the Lav Silkie project and some Sussex. A doz. Blue Barnie (F) x dbl laced (m) in the bator plus some other small settings. Fertility has been OK but laying is not yet in full swing.

Put the Barnevelder male in with the best dbl laced hens and they all stopped laying, aka the Araucanas :aaargh:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:13 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Yeah, I set duck eggs a month ago and have had a terrible result - 1 out of 9. The eggs were fertile but shells were not at all porous and the air cells were really small at the end - I just couldn't get enough evaporation. Going to try again in a month when the shells will be thinner and more porous.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:17 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I loaned my incubators out last year because I had a bad accident and shattered my elbow , got them back and I had to put in a new sensor chip in the Rcom 50 and new fan in eyle not ran yet here still getting the eggs to fill it . first two lots nothing after replacing part I got 25 out and a few more piping today. this years weather has been way out of wack to normal tho here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:38 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

2nd hatch out and powering along 14 hatched, 2 splits , 5 splash silkies, and 2 buff bantam wyandottes ( well now i know what i thought was splash laced red is buff laced red, she does have a cream look to lacing) and 4 eb blr chicks and 1 eb splash laced red, awsome down colour should be great chickens :thumbs: :nuts .

Next clutch in bator along with barred rock eggs, a favor for a mate, eggs for his cousin. So a doz rocks and 16 eb blr eggs :thumbs: . Black out on day 2 :aaargh: , for 6 hours , still confident on hatching.
Blr standard cockerel has justed started crowing and mating so next clutch might set some from him.